Advice Request Going on vacation soon best way to keep internet secure and safe while out and about ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windscribe for Mobile offers 10GB of data for free, at the cost of speed and limited-features.
Considering 10GB is nothing, to maximise bandwidth usage on your phone:
  • turn off auto-app updates over cellular networks
  • turn off auto-upload for photos and videos over Wi-Fi and Cellular.
I do not use Windscribe, but if the VPN offers a firewall, you can use to that to restrict in/out connections, and save more bandwidth.

On public Wi-Fi hotspots including Airbnb / Hotels, use a VPN.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Windscribe for Mobile offers 10GB of data for free, at the cost of speed and limited-features.
Considering 10GB is nothing, to maximise bandwidth usage on your phone:
  • turn off auto-app updates over cellular networks
  • turn off auto-upload for photos and videos over Wi-Fi and Cellular.
I do not use Windscribe, but if the VPN offers a firewall, you can use to that to restrict in/out connections, and save more bandwidth.

On public Wi-Fi hotspots including Airbnb / Hotels, use a VPN.

Thank you.

Can I just use my cellular data too on my phone and hotspot data as well for other devices?

Reactions: Venustus and Ink

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
windscribe and if you're torrenting then use thunder vpn.
Is there a good reason why you suggest Thunder over Windscribe for torrenting? I have no issues with torrenting on Windscribe.
I'm not familiar with how many devices can be used on the same Windscribe 10GB Free (registration required) account.
I have used a free Windscribe account on more than one device without any issues, but I was not signed into the account at the same time on multiple devices.

I'll second the Windscribe suggestions. The free ProtonVPN service works OK provided you're not downloading lots of data.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
PC or Mobile? I too have no problem torrenting with free windscribe on my PC but not on my smartphone. It simply won't work and that's why I use thunder VPN because out of all free VPN services this only worked.
OK, thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what device you were recommending Thunder for, or if you meant in general. I don't torrent on my phone so I hadn't had that issue with Windscribe. I'll bear Thunder in mind should I change that, thanks.

Reactions: ZeePriest

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@ng4ever

My old "el cheapo" way of staying safe on holiday

1. Phone.
Add a free VPN service to use on public WIFI , (e.g. Windscribe with registration to get additional data, than remove after a few days, you will often get a better promo). When you somewhere for a short stay (e.g. coffe break), we (my girlfriend and I) always use our phones for stuff, never my (girlfriend's) laptop.

2. Laptop
Install SSL Eye (explained here: SSL Eye: Check if you are the victim of a Man in the Middle attack - gHacks Tech News) and Kaspersky Free VPN. Kaspersky free VPN has very low free data, but it is enough for doing banking and booking on holiday.

In 2019 with black friday I bought a (highly discounted) license of BulletVPN with unlimited data. Works well for my purpose (with many servers in different countries)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.