Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'VPN and Privacy' started by Smith83, Jul 13, 2016.

?

Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  1. Jake Miguel

Jake Miguel Level 2

Nov 14, 2016
    Singapore
    Its better to have one paid vpn service then to go for free ones. Free one does not offer that much anonymity or security.

daljeet and Zero Knowledge like this.
  2. Crypto

Crypto Level 2

Jan 14, 2017
    United States
    Crypto Storm which provides a fully anonymous way of using it (tokens) and doesn't collect any data such as emails, passwords, names, etc. has a free version called Crypto Free which offers the same benefits at a data-cap though. Including it doesn't log anything when in use.

Sunshine-boy, daljeet and Andrew999 like this.
  3. Andrew999

Andrew999 Level 20

Dec 17, 2014
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I highly recommend ProtonVPN: Secure and Free VPN service for protecting your privacy which is made by the creators of ProtonMail if you have ever heard of them. Also Windscribe is pretty good too, they have 50 GB free promo code if you google for it, I also think it is on the MalwareTips giveaways somewhere. It also has more servers than ProtonVPN but in my opinion is less secure than ProtonVPN. Proton VPN has unlimited usage too, but only 3 locations at the moment. USA, Japan, Netherlands. I am using ProtonVPN at the moment.

4. Trickster

Trickster Level 14

Jul 28, 2016
    Loving / caring Husband :)
    Europe
    Windows 10
    BullGuard
    Windscribe has a free 50 gb a month lifetime offer and imho the best free one out there you also have vpn gate which is develloped by a japanese university. The connections are not always the fastest but they do a good job. Logging is minimal in this one.

russ0408, Andrew999, daljeet and 2 others like this.
  5. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Level 15

Jan 16, 2017
    SSD
    Windows 8.1
    Emsisoft
    I've used and liked Windscribe and ProtonVPN free versions.

6. Erika

Erika Level 1

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    Well, I do not suggest to use free VPN. I didn't trust on free VPN. I was also had betternet but that was limited. Anyhow there are many good free VPNs are available in the market Use TunnelBear it give 500MB free data usage.

bribon77, Vasudev and daljeet like this.
  7. Jake Miguel

Jake Miguel Level 2

Nov 14, 2016
    Singapore

And If you tweet about them, addtional 500 mb.

8. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I have Windscribe VPN sort of free for 50 Gigs a month and am very happy with it since I found out it works with Netflix USA. Awsome. :love:(y)

9. Jake Miguel

Jake Miguel Level 2

Nov 14, 2016
    Singapore
    No way! it does???? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

10. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #70 frogboy, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Yes it sure does just install the browser addon extention for Chrome or Firefox and all is ggod for Netflix USA just browse to Windflix and connect and you should be good to go. :cool:(y)

11. daljeet

daljeet Level 5

Jun 14, 2017
    india
    Linux Ubuntu
    500mb is not enough for me
    Yes, free VPN is good if it's windscribe or protonvpn otherwise I'm not sure.

12. Jake Miguel

Jake Miguel Level 2

Nov 14, 2016
    Singapore
    I am definitely doing this now. Thanks @frogboy

13. browneylad

browneylad Level 2

Sep 27, 2017
    service
    India
    Windows 7
    Webroot
    I voted no but I am impressed with Protonvpns free plan. Windscribe give generous data allowance but surely they have some way of making this free tire expense work? Despite living in a country where (mostly illegal, movie streaming & torrent) websites are blocked almost daily I've never used Tor(cheapest solution perhaps). Paid for a vpn.

14. zzz00m

zzz00m Level 3

Jun 10, 2017
    USA
    Windows 10
    Avira
    Great for you! But I have Windscribe Pro and have to shut it down to use Netflix USA from the USA...

Lightning_Brian and Andrew999 like this.
  15. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Try leaving Windscrbe running and add the browser extentionfir Chrome or Firefow and navigate through the ext to Windflix and it should work. :)

16. browneylad

browneylad Level 2

Sep 27, 2017
    service
    India
    Windows 7
    Webroot
    Zenmate have changed somewhat now. Logged in today & found only 1 free server available now. There was definitely several before.

Andrew999 likes this.
  17. zzz00m

zzz00m Level 3

Jun 10, 2017
    USA
    Windows 10
    Avira
    Thanks, good to know! Never payed any attention to the Windflix extension before. Just running the VPN app on my desktop. Thought it odd that Netflix detected the VPN.

Normally watch Netflix in living room on set top appliance. No VPN there, or on the router, so no worries. But I do understand the need to bypass international limitations! (y)

Lightning_Brian and frogboy like this.
  18. NormanF

NormanF Level 1

Jan 11, 2018
    USA
    No. Free VPNs either sell user data to third parties, monetize user data themselves and can host malware. All those servers, bandwidth and skilled people to run and maintain them have to be paid. The math just doesn't work where free VPNs are involved. Legitimate VPNs are either freemium or paid. That's the way it is in the privacy business.

Vasudev likes this.
  19. Lightning_Brian

Lightning_Brian Level 8

Sep 1, 2017
    Information Technology
    USA
    Windows 10
    Norton
    @frogboy Indeed!! Another nice perk!! I enjoy Windscribe and have been using it for years. Well rounded!

@Trickster Couldn't agree more! Logging is next to none - I don't believe they do any logging. Kim Komando who is a well known Radio personality in the USA talks about free VPNs here: Best VPN services of 2017 | One Page

Windscribe is one of the few that she fully trusts with her data as with many others.

Glad to see other fellow Windscribe users!

Vasudev, Trickster, zzz00m and 2 others like this.
  20. boredog

boredog Level 8

Jul 5, 2016
    Retired
    usa
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    For Netflix I had to many problems logging into their website with VPN off and so they had me install their app on my home PC and that works great. I have not tried connecting with AirVpn in a while. Even though AirVPN is paid, it sometimes has problems connecting. I will give Winscribe a try at the end of this month.