Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'VPN and Privacy' started by Smith83, Jul 13, 2016.

?

Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  1. Janl1992l

Janl1992l Level 9

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Avast
    They have start logging this year. they log ur hardwäre id and other to can identify you. i have post some screens to show this but dont have the time to search them atm.

2. Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA Level 27

May 11, 2013
    Security Consultant, ICT Advisor and Developer
    Friesland (Harlingen)
    Windows 7
    Norton
    #42 Nico@FMA, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Uhhmm you are wrong.

1: Electronic Frontier Foundation (Click Europa in the menu)
    2: Golden frog (VyprVPN Provider) active in Switzerland
    And then there is Meta data retention laws.
    Also in panama these laws are active.

Or check the wiki

Please everyone do read this little mythbuster by: Golden Frog (enjoy)

Any VPN provider that does operate internationally will have data retention and meta data collection.
    If a VPN provider only operates nationally and does NOT service international clients and does NOT allow connections to websites, servers, ip's outside their nation then it could be possible that they do not track your data depending on local law.
    But the moment they operate in the WWW internationally then Data Retention is not a fancy word as its a cold hard fact no matter what people like to believe or claim.

Side note: @Jack @BoraMurdar @Spawn @Umbra it might be worth to add these links or the info to a guide.

Kind Regards,
    Nico

3. omidomi

omidomi Level 61
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 5, 2014
    Fallout New Vegas :D
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    any link or source? :eek:

4. omidomi

omidomi Level 61
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 5, 2014
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    wat? swiss? :D
    here it is :
    Swiss vote for spy powers

5. Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA Level 27

May 11, 2013
    Friesland (Harlingen)
    Windows 7
    Norton
    The link i have provided from Golden Frog (myth buster) states the following:

CyberGhost:
    Website: “surf anonymously;” “top notch security and anonymity”

Privacy Policy: “CyberGhost keeps no logs which enable interference with your IP address, the moment or content of your data traffic.”

Note: The CyberGhost privacy policy was updated recently but previously stated they “may process and use personal data collected in the setup and delivery of service (connection data). This includes Customer identification and data regarding time and volume of use.” Despite this privacy policy, they still advertised an “anonymous” service. Unfortunately, their newly updated privacy policy is confusing. It appears they say they don’t log the content of your traffic, but what about connection data such as IP address? Due to their previous marketing messages contradicting their prior privacy policy, we have concerns about their current privacy policy.

6. Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA Level 27

May 11, 2013
    Friesland (Harlingen)
    Windows 7
    Norton
    Jup sad but true, but then again the only nations not having a spy law are the ones who are not connected to the internet.
    I think that the habbibbizula tribe is guaranteed privacy safe. But then again their best Antivirus program is that ice cold monkey scream in the night before it gets eaten by something big and hungry.

7. omidomi

omidomi Level 61
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 5, 2014
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    #47 omidomi, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2016
    just IceLanad stay on stage :p

oh my bad :eek:

8. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Softhether VPN via VPN Gate; free from japan.

9. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    I agree with Janl1992l
    I don't much see a need for a VPN, I don't access anything online that I need to hide or mask.
    Most will tell you what ever they need to in order to get you to part with the cash.
    I can tweak and mod till my traffic is "mostly" secure, enough that I am fine with what little crumbs
    Google, MS, or even HLS are able to scrape up. If I were doing things I needed to worry about it might be
    a different story. I know due to geographical needs some may need a VPN this does not escape me, but
    for the most part a VPN affords you the illusion of a safer experience, and nothing more.

Yash Khan and carsten ibsen like this.
  10. Dirk41

Dirk41 Level 16

Mar 17, 2016
    Earth
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    #50 Dirk41, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Even kaspersky offer a vpn now. Do You think we can trust AV paid vpn?

Anyway guys, just to properly understand : who can access all these logs : police ( but as far as you are not a terrorist who cares ) and ? hackers? So the same who stole yahoo informations ? The same of Sony and something like that?
    If the answer is yes , so it's obvious we can never be 100% safe.
    I think my internet provider logs everything , or not ?

Sorry if I am completely wrong

carsten ibsen, Yash Khan and omidomi like this.
  11. ~HaymarN~

~HaymarN~ Level 1

Sep 12, 2016
    Earth
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
  12. Zerion

Zerion Level 3

Mar 2, 2016
    Sweden
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I mean, VPN is great. IF THEY DON'T LOG. Which we will never know, internet today is a scary place, im sure we all can agree on that and i will do everything in my power to stay safe and secure in all ways, and i take my private life seriously.

Encryption vise if they just AES-256bit, etc.. it's SAFE. And for the logging part and their policy is another story, i suggest to find a company that goes into detail how they handle law, sueing, court, pricacy, setup, etcetc... And stay away from the " top 10 " Weekly best VPN's since theyt are mosty paid to say good things about them.

Good luck and stay safe :D

13. Paul123

Paul123 Level 4

Dec 9, 2016
    IT Web Developer
    London
    Windows 10
    Zemana
    I was using Zenmate VPN, which has a plugin for firefox. The free version only uses servers in Germany, but it gave decent speeds and didn't seem limited.

Can I ask anyone with experience of WindScribe Pro. Do I need the desktop app too if I'm using the browser plugin? Does it offer extra security, or is the web browser plugin enough for web browsing. Does having both on at the same time make any sense? or is the desktop to protect other things like mail apps etc?

carsten ibsen and Yash Khan like this.
  14. I use Windscribe & Betternet - Windscribe is best out of the two but has a limit.

carsten ibsen, Yash Khan and DardiM like this.
  15. Jake Miguel

Jake Miguel Level 2

Nov 14, 2016
    Singapore
    Good vpn? Trust me man, I purchased PureVPN & Nord in blackfriday and is working amazingly good. I have also used zenmate, Nord and Express but so far my experience with Pure & Nord is outstanding. But these two are paid ones. For free I'd say go for Tunnelbear. But you'll have limited amount of mbs for a month. When I was searching for paid and free ones, I found out that Paid have more features and are not that pricey except Express. Nord and other ones are quite affordable.

Check this PureVPN Review for 2017 - Editorial Ranking & User Testimonials

16. Zero Knowledge

Zero Knowledge Level 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Dark Cloud Universe

That link is a shill website for affiliate marketing. Basically the owner is getting paid for positive reviews of vpn providers.

You obviously have no idea about vpn providers. That much is clear by your post.

Purevpn logs. They log every connecting IP address to their servers and they log every persons bandwidth during a vpn session.

Nordvpn leaks dns and your real IP address while using their vpn client to connect to their servers.

Both are not recommended.

Fritz, carsten ibsen and Yash Khan like this.
  17. Jake Miguel

Jake Miguel Level 2

Nov 14, 2016
    Singapore
    #57 Jake Miguel, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Really? But the rankings are almost same on every ranking websites. So does it mean all are getting paid by mentioning their reviews?

And as far as keeping logs are concerned, Pure & Nord does not maintain logs, they only maintain connection logs I believe. Not sure, I might be wrong you might be right but I haven't witnessed it as yet.

carsten ibsen and Yash Khan like this.
  18. Zero Knowledge

Zero Knowledge Level 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Dark Cloud Universe
    Yes basically all vpn review sites are affiliates of the vpn providers and get paid to rank them in the top 10 and positively review them.

Best source of information is reddit/forums where you can find honest reviews and unbiased opinions.

19. Jake Miguel

Jake Miguel Level 2

Nov 14, 2016
    Singapore
    Alright I'll surely give reddit a vist then! thanks

20. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Hello,I use EkspressVpn+VyprVpn both paid, but they have very good security,speed and support(online Chat 24-7).
    I am sorry to say,I do not think you could find that in a free solution:)

Jake Miguel, Yash Khan and DardiM like this.