Advice Request Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

• Yes

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I suggested CyberGhost to All!
very fast,Nice GUI,very easy to use.
btw: CyberGhost provided you great Security without spying or snooping!
1-Base In Romania,one of the best country that has user privacy friendly law.
many free vpn provider store your log for calculating bandwidth but CG no!
"we do not store statistical data, which can be linked to a user account. Also, we do not store data on who had used which server and when."
they accepted Bitcoin for user who they want stay anonymous.
2-In March 2012, CyberGhost had successfully passed an audit and verification conducted by QSCert for the implemented Information Safety Management System (ISMS) according to the international industrial standards ISO27001 and ISO9001. The certification confirms the high quality of the internal safety processes and is renewed yearly ever since.
3- read here also : I've got a suspicion concerning one of your users. Can I request for him/her to be checked up? - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software
:D
They have start logging this year. they log ur hardwäre id and other to can identify you. i have post some screens to show this but dont have the time to search them atm.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
There are enough vpn providers that does not logg anything. like perfect privacy, who are registered in swizerland, or a vpn provider in panama. to say all need to logg is simple not true.

Uhhmm you are wrong.

1: Electronic Frontier Foundation (Click Europa in the menu)
2: Golden frog (VyprVPN Provider) active in Switzerland
And then there is Meta data retention laws.
Also in panama these laws are active.

Or check the wiki

Please everyone do read this little mythbuster by: Golden Frog (enjoy)

Any VPN provider that does operate internationally will have data retention and meta data collection.
If a VPN provider only operates nationally and does NOT service international clients and does NOT allow connections to websites, servers, ip's outside their nation then it could be possible that they do not track your data depending on local law.
But the moment they operate in the WWW internationally then Data Retention is not a fancy word as its a cold hard fact no matter what people like to believe or claim.

Side note: @Jack @BoraMurdar @Spawn @Umbra it might be worth to add these links or the info to a guide.

Kind Regards,
Nico

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
any link or source? :eek:

The link i have provided from Golden Frog (myth buster) states the following:

CyberGhost:
Website: “surf anonymously;” “top notch security and anonymity”

Privacy Policy: “CyberGhost keeps no logs which enable interference with your IP address, the moment or content of your data traffic.”

Note: The CyberGhost privacy policy was updated recently but previously stated they “may process and use personal data collected in the setup and delivery of service (connection data). This includes Customer identification and data regarding time and volume of use.” Despite this privacy policy, they still advertised an “anonymous” service. Unfortunately, their newly updated privacy policy is confusing. It appears they say they don’t log the content of your traffic, but what about connection data such as IP address? Due to their previous marketing messages contradicting their prior privacy policy, we have concerns about their current privacy policy.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

Jup sad but true, but then again the only nations not having a spy law are the ones who are not connected to the internet.
I think that the habbibbizula tribe is guaranteed privacy safe. But then again their best Antivirus program is that ice cold monkey scream in the night before it gets eaten by something big and hungry.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Jup sad but true, but then again the only nations not having a spy law are the ones who are not connected to the internet.
I think that the habbibbizula tribe is guaranteed privacy safe. But then again their best Antivirus program is that ice cold monkey scream in the night before it gets eaten by something big and hungry.
just IceLanad stay on stage :p

The link i have provided from Golden Frog (myth buster) states the following:

CyberGhost:
Website: “surf anonymously;” “top notch security and anonymity”

Privacy Policy: “CyberGhost keeps no logs which enable interference with your IP address, the moment or content of your data traffic.”

Note: The CyberGhost privacy policy was updated recently but previously stated they “may process and use personal data collected in the setup and delivery of service (connection data). This includes Customer identification and data regarding time and volume of use.” Despite this privacy policy, they still advertised an “anonymous” service. Unfortunately, their newly updated privacy policy is confusing. It appears they say they don’t log the content of your traffic, but what about connection data such as IP address? Due to their previous marketing messages contradicting their prior privacy policy, we have concerns about their current privacy policy.
oh my bad :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I agree with Janl1992l
I don't much see a need for a VPN, I don't access anything online that I need to hide or mask.
Most will tell you what ever they need to in order to get you to part with the cash.
I can tweak and mod till my traffic is "mostly" secure, enough that I am fine with what little crumbs
Google, MS, or even HLS are able to scrape up. If I were doing things I needed to worry about it might be
a different story. I know due to geographical needs some may need a VPN this does not escape me, but
for the most part a VPN affords you the illusion of a safer experience, and nothing more.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Even kaspersky offer a vpn now. Do You think we can trust AV paid vpn?

Anyway guys, just to properly understand : who can access all these logs : police ( but as far as you are not a terrorist who cares ) and ? hackers? So the same who stole yahoo informations ? The same of Sony and something like that?
If the answer is yes , so it's obvious we can never be 100% safe.
I think my internet provider logs everything , or not ?

Sorry if I am completely wrong

Last edited:

Zerion

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
I mean, VPN is great. IF THEY DON'T LOG. Which we will never know, internet today is a scary place, im sure we all can agree on that and i will do everything in my power to stay safe and secure in all ways, and i take my private life seriously.

Encryption vise if they just AES-256bit, etc.. it's SAFE. And for the logging part and their policy is another story, i suggest to find a company that goes into detail how they handle law, sueing, court, pricacy, setup, etcetc... And stay away from the " top 10 " Weekly best VPN's since theyt are mosty paid to say good things about them.

Good luck and stay safe :D

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I was using Zenmate VPN, which has a plugin for firefox. The free version only uses servers in Germany, but it gave decent speeds and didn't seem limited.

Can I ask anyone with experience of WindScribe Pro. Do I need the desktop app too if I'm using the browser plugin? Does it offer extra security, or is the web browser plugin enough for web browsing. Does having both on at the same time make any sense? or is the desktop to protect other things like mail apps etc?

Jake Miguel

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2016
Good vpn? Trust me man, I purchased PureVPN & Nord in blackfriday and is working amazingly good. I have also used zenmate, Nord and Express but so far my experience with Pure & Nord is outstanding. But these two are paid ones. For free I'd say go for Tunnelbear. But you'll have limited amount of mbs for a month. When I was searching for paid and free ones, I found out that Paid have more features and are not that pricey except Express. Nord and other ones are quite affordable.

Check this PureVPN Review for 2017 - Editorial Ranking & User Testimonials

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Good vpn? Trust me man, I purchased PureVPN & Nord in blackfriday and is working amazingly good. I have also used zenmate, Nord and Express but so far my experience with Pure & Nord is outstanding. But these two are paid ones. For free I'd say go for Tunnelbear. But you'll have limited amount of mbs for a month. When I was searching for paid and free ones, I found out that Paid have more features and are not that pricey except Express. Nord and other ones are quite affordable.

Check this PureVPN Review for 2017 - Editorial Ranking & User Testimonials

That link is a shill website for affiliate marketing. Basically the owner is getting paid for positive reviews of vpn providers.

You obviously have no idea about vpn providers. That much is clear by your post.

Purevpn logs. They log every connecting IP address to their servers and they log every persons bandwidth during a vpn session.

Nordvpn leaks dns and your real IP address while using their vpn client to connect to their servers.

Both are not recommended.

Jake Miguel

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2016
Really? But the rankings are almost same on every ranking websites. So does it mean all are getting paid by mentioning their reviews?

And as far as keeping logs are concerned, Pure & Nord does not maintain logs, they only maintain connection logs I believe. Not sure, I might be wrong you might be right but I haven't witnessed it as yet.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.