Advice Request Google account probably tainted

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Hi guys. A week ago, my Google mail account was behaving weird. I had a couple of mails from Eset and Webroot, with the licens information, and a few other things in a folder. Suddenly it all disappeared, so I can only assume, the old PW was hacked.
So I took my LastPass, and made a new long good one. Later today I will make 2 factor authentication. Is there anything I have forgot? Thanks.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hi guys. A week ago, my Google mail account was behaving weird. I had a couple of mails from Eset and Webroot, with the licens information, and a few other things in a folder. Suddenly it all disappeared, so I can only assume, the old PW was hacked.
So I took my LastPass, and made a new long good one. Later today I will make 2 factor authentication. Is there anything I have forgot? Thanks.
I would do the 2-factor authentification right away. It takes you maybe two minutes and after that you will have nothing to worry about anymore. (y)

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I would do the 2-factor authentification right away. It takes you maybe two minutes and after that you will have nothing to worry about anymore. (y)
Hi SK. I just did, so I think I should have check on that account. It was stupid not to do it with the old one, but luckily there was no important information, so lesson learnt. Thanks man.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020

Change your most common passwords and especially Gmail or other e-mail associate with two-factor authentication.
At this moment exist a "race" for passwords from VPNs, streaming channels, etc online, Argentinian and Indian hackers are the most prolific and it's possible to buy an EXpress VPN online for 5€, they crack and sell the passwords.
Basically, they are stealing passwords from the corner pizza and using Openbullet to test that password in every major VPN and streaming service.

P.S. - Be extremely careful with android phones and apk, that game you see online for free, or that version of express VPN with a trial that never end, be careful many of that apk do more than they are supposed to do.

This is an example, you can find people selling access to every major platform in telegram or in discord:

1638701680651.png

Last edited:

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Yes I have subscribed to get a notice if anything weird happen.
Thanks SecureKongo. 🙏

To be safe, your e-mail that is responsible for the two-factor authentication has to have a unique password, don't repeat the password for stemming accounts, VPNs, AVs, etc, anything that can be sold online should have its own password.
Forget the rest, your e-mail and password will be leaked sooner or later, that site that you registered to download drawings for the kids, or that small application, etc, something will be leaked, don't doubt. They put that combo of passwords and e-mail in a application and test in every platform they can obtain money from, if the password doesn't match you will be safe.

Example: :eek:

1638727556081.png

I am not a great hacker, your password from Facebook isn't that one: :p

1638727716430.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I just saw a video from Britech09, known from among others Wilders. He showed how to make the security better in Chrome, by ticking the "enchanced security" and 2 factor authentication in the security settings. It seems Edge and Chrome are fighting to get the best results. I use Edge normally, but I like Chrome from time to time.

byronbytes

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
Sometimes GMail deletes really old emails if your Google Drive space is full (IIRC), but to be safe, I don't think that's what happened.

The best tips I can give is to make sure everything has a safe and secure type of 2FA, phone authentication / Auth application is probably the best way to stay safe. Try to enable 2FA on your password managers (Better safe than sorry), GMail, and any other applications with crucial data.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.