Battle Google Chrome vs. Vivaldi

N

Noxx

Thread author
I've mostly been a Google Chrome user, but I've been actively using Vivaldi as my primary browser for about a week now. Probably my favorite aspect of Vivaldi is the UI. It's beautiful, well organized, and everything's so easily accessible. Mouse scrolling is relatively smooth, page loading itself is fairly good, but it just doesn't feel as fast as Google Chrome from my perspective. I also have concerns over how secure Vivaldi is, it being a beta product and all. So my question to you all is, which browser works better for your personal needs, and why? Only vote/comment if you've used both, preferably their most updated versions, especially when it comes to Vivaldi.

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
I've used Vivaldi and It's an excellent browser full of features and very pretty with the changing colors, Chrome is too basic for me and I'd rather just use Firefox who's more customisable and prettier especially now with VivaldiFox :p. I didn't really notice any performance difference between them and about Vivaldi's security I'd say it's pretty secure since it's updated a lot to Chromium's latest version and it uses all of it's protection.

N

Noxx

Thread author
I've used Vivaldi and It's an excellent browser full of features and very pretty with the changing colors, Chrome is too basic for me and I'd rather just use Firefox who's more customisable and prettier especially now that VivaldiFox is coming :p. I didn't really notice any performance difference between them and about Vivaldi's security I'd say it's pretty secure since it's updated a lot to Chromium's latest version and it uses all of it's protection.

Right. Chrome to me seems to to rock out in the security/performance department, but it is rather basic in comparison to Vivaldi in features. Also, good to hear they're up-to-date with Chrome's security engine. I'd be curious to know what processor model Vivaldi users here use, as I'm wondering if it may be my processor that's slowing down the loading/rendering speed. If it's helpful, I use an AMD Phenom II 3.2 GhZ Quad-Core.

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
Right. Chrome to me seems to to rock out in the security/performance department, but it is rather basic in comparison to Vivaldi in features. Also, good to hear they're up-to-date with Chrome's security engine. I'd be curious to know what processor model Vivaldi users here use, as I'm wondering if it may be my processor that's slowing down the loading/rendering speed. If it's helpful, I use an AMD Phenom II 3.2 GhZ Quad-Core.
Oh yeah I'm using an Intel i7 so maybe that's why our experiences aren't the same lol. :D

N

Noxx

Thread author
Oh yeah I'm using an Intel i7 so maybe that's why our experiences aren't the same lol. :D

Precisely why I didn't attempt to just throw Vivaldi under the bus for its performance. I figured that it's just me. That might not fare well though for users with lower-mid level processors (still not precisely sure if Vivaldi is more optimized for Intel over AMD or vice versa, OR if it's just the fact that AMD quad core is becoming obsolete).

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
My vote was for Vivaldi, as the question was, which browser is best for my needs ...

Obviously I will not name the resources you have in Vivaldi natively, you are using it and know what!

Use it intensively every day! I'm using the beta as the ability to create the theme itself has not reached the stable version!

The experience I'm having it suits me very well! I love the fact that web panels ...

I use Chrome as well, sometimes I notice that Chrome is a little faster, especially in the speed of the interface, tabs are opened faster, Chrome boot is a bit faster.

That does not bother me, I believe that after the Vivaldi be with more features such as Client Email and Sync, the team will focus on optimizing Vivaldi, many complain of the interface speed, this is a problem that will be resolved in future.

As I said, it does not bother me, because Vivaldi has many features and these features facilitate my navigation.

I think in the future Vivaldi will receive faster atuazações, when each update comes more features, this makes the release of new and more time-consuming updates.

I have no problems with Vivaldi, for example : Very RAM usage, CPU.

In my point of view for new users Vivaldi can please even more for those who like to customize the browser, on the other hand many users do not like the fact Vivaldi do not have a sync.

This will of each user, I prefer Vivaldi by functions and customization, Vivaldi + AdGuard is a very good combination!
Use Chrome often because it has better integration with Google services, very fast! I have nothing to complain about!

However it is for me to vote for one, my vote was for Vivaldi = native features and customization.

English a little confused, I hope you understand. :)

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
My vote went to Chrome.

I use both Chrome and Vivaldi (along with Mozilla and Opera). Chrome is my primary browser and Vivaldi is my secondary browser. Chrome is my favorite, with Vivaldi a close second, and Opera and Mozilla distant 3rd and 4th. (And I'm looking for another Chromium-based browser to be my "tertiary" browser :p)
My biggest issue with Vivaldi is that new tabs won't open in the background by definition, if you want to open the new tab in the background you'll have to click on third option. And when people raised the issue on Vivaldi forum, a moderator said "new tabs aren't supposed to open in the background"!! Really?! o_O
One more thing, I have heavy browsing habits. At any given time, I have more than 10 tabs open on both Chrome and Vivaldi. Both Chrome and Vivaldi are lacking here. Chrome spontaneously kills some of my tabs, and Vivaldi has a problem with disk usage here. When I open +15 or +20 tabs on Vivaldi, jumping from a tab to another nearly always causes a 100% disk spike.
Even on my low-end laptop (core i3, 4GB, Windows 8.1) Chrome launches in milliseconds, while it takes my three other browsers +10 seconds to start (sometimes more than a minute for Mozilla!).
Chrome is a little faster than Vivaldi (it's much faster than Opera and Mozilla).

It's a tough call, but at the end of the day, it comes down to both the specs of your device, and your needs. On my low-end laptop, +10 tabs all the time, and little if any interest in features other than "find in page", Chrome is the winner.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Vivaldi is like the next Firefox

So if you want simplicity, fluid and enough from all your needs then go to Chrome; proven enough all day long.

However for those savvy users, Vivaldi is a good choice where you can customize and brings interesting features alongside of engine performance hence convincing.

----------------------

Overall my choice goes to Chrome because the reliability is already existed. ;) (A summarize statement where other members sentiments are technically correct)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Chrome here for one main reason: more mature in terms of usability, quality of life and security wise. Vivaldi is the new kid on the block with a good approach but needs to be more mature in my opinion. Also one thing I did not like in Vivaldi was the lack of crx support for themes, at least when it was first released.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Chrome!
Chrome is fine until you start adding plugins and addons.
The more plugins etc the more memory it uses! well thats MHO;)

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Google Chrome is clearly the better browser. It's reliable and more secure. The only downside is the high memory usage.

Reactions: frogboy

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Chrome here for one main reason: more mature in terms of usability, quality of life and security wise. Vivaldi is the new kid on the block with a good approach but needs to be more mature in my opinion. Also one thing I did not like in Vivaldi was the lack of crx support for themes, at least when it was first released.
Exactly.
So would you not safely assume that a comparison at this point in time is rather immature.?
I think chrome has an unfair advantage here as vivaldi is relatively new.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Exactly.
So would you not safely assume that a comparison at this point in time is rather immature.?
I think chrome has an unfair advantage here as vivaldi is relatively new.
Vivaldi is a browser on its own. Even within chromium variants, I do not like to compare nor see a point in doing so due to the fact that each has its own tweaks and set of settings applied etc.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Chrome-fan here, for some my views would be considered biased.

I did try Vivaldi for a day, but could not get comfortable with it's UI as I didn't like the overload of the square design. Another reason why I stopped using Edge.

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.