Battle Got a New Laptop that is forced to run win10 - how should I harden it w/o affecting performance?

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
As stated in the question above, in addition should I run Windows Defender or invest in ESET of FSECURE. Which will offer me more security w/o sacrificing performance? What other tools and lockdowns should I run? I think will transfer VooDoo Shield lic from my old laptop to the new one.

Thank you

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Based on your system config, Microsoft Defender can be light under some common day-to-day circumstances and heavier in some other tasks.
Based on pure lightness only, ESET and Norton have been the two lightest products on my system.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

As stated in the question above, in addition should I run Windows Defender or invest in ESET of FSECURE. Which will offer me more security w/o sacrificing performance? What other tools and lockdowns should I run? I think will transfer VooDoo Shield lic from my old laptop to the new one.

Thank you

Both publishers are here at MalwareTips. You can ask them directly for assistance.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Andy Fuls' SWH or HARD_CONFIGURATOR (recommended!) especially for LOLbins/sponsors and for Firewall Hardening, OOShutup or WPD for telemetry, then install WFC or SIMPLEWALL for firewall and that's the best you can do. Browser with uBlock Origin or Adguard is a must, maybe NextDNS too. And off course update security patches and app updates for OS and apps, also check for new BIOS/Firmware on vendors website and make sure to update your router/modem's firmware if it's available. If you have group policy, then you can tinker some more but otherwise that's the best you can do.

Reactions: cartaphilus

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
Thank you all for all the help. It's a government laptop but I have admin rights to it and can do whatever I want with it. However I want to keep it light and fast since I want the sonnvabiatch to be fast in order to run some monte carlo code on it whilst still being secure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.