New Update GPT-AdBlocker for Chrome promises to block all ads, including ads in videos

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Homepage: GPT-AdBlocker

It was only a matter of time before a developer would come up with an idea to use AI tools for content blocking on the Internet.

GPT-AdBlocker is a free browser extension for Google Chrome that uses AI to block advertisement. The developers promise that it blocks all ads, including ads that are shown in videos. The extension works in other Chromium-based browsers, including Microsoft Edge, Brave, Opera or Vivaldi as well.

A look at the privacy practices on the Chrome Web Store shows that the developers have disclosed that they don't collect or use user data.

The extension was launched back in April 2023 and was listed on Producthunt at the time. The developers state that it was built "upon the solid foundation of Ublock" and that it uses "advanced artificial intelligence technology to block out all types of ads". Also, it is based on Manifest V3 already, which means that it is future-proof.

The creators of GPT-AdBlocker have published a short demo video on YouTube.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard was not impressed, but liked the idea:
The emergence of an AI-powered ad blocking extension is an intriguing and a potentially transformative development in the field. The goal of the extension is to detect and remove sponsored segments from videos, and it does that, but not all of them, and not completely. Sometimes it leaves “leftovers” of sponsored ads, sometimes it cuts the video rather crudely. Sometimes it works nearly perfectly, but rarely.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

With such a perfect security setup as mine (in all humbleness it is the best of the MT-forum) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: the only area left for tweaking is extensions, so I immediately tried it out and ... I am not impressed also. On some websites this extension made the browser unresponsive.

By the way the improved Malwarebytes Browser Guard also has "heuristics" as new ad and tracker detection and that worked better (disclaimer that is limited to the websites I use to frequent often, so you mileage may vary with other browsing habits).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.