Troubleshoot Graphical issues: possible driver incompatibility?

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Every time a software requires administrator privileges, screen turns black for one second when it prompts for elevation and mouse is frozen. After this second, i accept or deny the privileges, and screen and mouse if frozen again for another second. Then it works again. Then, a normal operation that should take 1/4 second on my laptop takes around 3 seconds... Check the short video i made, sorry i created it with my phone because i cannot screen record, read below to know why:

How do i know it's a driver incompatibility? My laptop has two graphic cards: integrated Intel HD Graphics 630, and dedicated Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. Both require a driver of course.
After a fresh Windows install i realise i only have the Intel driver installed and i have no graphical issues. Even if i update this driver to the lastest version, there's no problem. But if i do not install the Nvidia driver then i cannot game properly. I realised that if i install Nvidia driver then this graphical issue starts taking place. If i clean uninstall the Intel driver and stay with the Nvidia, then there is no graphical issue at all, but i cannot game. I need both drivers updated in order to game, but only one of them installed in order to have no graphical issues.

So i must choose, game or no graphical issues. Not a fair choice. Of course i've chosen gaming so far but it's tedious because i spent a lot of money on this gaming laptop.

Interesting fact: this graphical issue does not take place when there's an active software using the graphic card, for example when i'm gaming in full screen, screen recording, etc.

I don't know how to fix, i'm getting crazy! Any help is welcome.

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Date of initial issues: Since i bought the laptop
Steps taken to resolve, but unsuccessful?: Fresh format Windows 10
Is it still under warranty? IMO, since this has been happening since day 1, on day 1 you should have contacted tech support to get on record and perhaps get a replacement system.

It is not driver "incompatibility" though it could be driver corruption. If it was incompatible, it would affect every notebook of that same brand and model number. But since you didn't tell us anything about the hardware :(, we cannot check if other users are having similar problems.

That said, I am not seeing what you are referring to in your video. Note that the command prompt may use a different resolution and there may be a delay when switching.

Have you tried simply disabling the Intel driver?

Reactions: RoboMan
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Have you tried simply disabling the Intel driver?

Then my games can only be played at 0-10fps. It needs both drivers in order to game.

The laptop is the Acer Predator Helios 300.

I do not know if it's hard to see in the video (not for me) but the screen turns black and the mouse freezes when its prompts for elevation and after, so it's really tedious having to wait around 3s when it should take less than half a second.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Your dGPU is more powerful than the iGPU.

If by disabling the iGPU and the game is only playing at 0 - 10 fps then something is wrong with your dGPU
May it be? If i have both drivers enabled i can right click and chose Intel Card and play League of Legends at 60fps, while if i right click and select the Nvidia i can play at 250fps.
As well, if i try to run any brand new game from 2017 with the Intel Card it will be a really bad experience but if i choose Nvidia then i can run it at clean FPS: So i think it works fine... Maybe it just needs both drivers to work fine? Maybe Windows 10 limits this and there's a configuration that kills performance if you're on Nvidia Card 24/7? That may be it. Maybe there's some power-saving option that, even if it's plugged in, kills performance if there's only the Nvidia card working?

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
If you have such a problem since initially you bought it you should have addressed it with the manufacturer. Your laptop is supposed to be within warranty then, right?

Or you bought it second hand?
I bought brand new but while i was on the United States. Couple of days after i came to Germany.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I cannot remember right now, but i know i clean formatted the laptop when it arrived, and I THINK when it was brand new it didn't have this problem but it was full of bloatware. Maybe the day after it arrived i formatted it and since then i have this problem. When i tried to install Windows i couldn't start from an USB so i had to disable secure boot and UEFI and change Windows partition type through the Windows installation CMD. After that i could install Windows fresh and this problem began.

I contacted Acer support for this issue and they said "update BIOS with this version to fix your problem". I really think they were just throwing something because they had no idea, but i tried to update BIOS and of course, i couldn't, because all the configurations i modified when formatted (specially changing type of Windows partition).

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Obviously when you game you need to do on the nvidia card which is the powerful one and you need drivers also. Not sure why your pc has the specific issues but you can work around it. Make uac auto elevate signed software and change uac level to not show notification. Security is pretty much the same and you anw have application control with other products.

Ps you can't disable the intel hd on laptops. It's needed to render the final image.

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I cannot remember right now, but i know i clean formatted the laptop when it arrived, and I THINK when it was brand new it didn't have this problem but it was full of bloatware. Maybe the day after it arrived i formatted it and since then i have this problem. When i tried to install Windows i couldn't start from an USB so i had to disable secure boot and UEFI and change Windows partition type through the Windows installation CMD. After that i could install Windows fresh and this problem began.

I contacted Acer support for this issue and they said "update BIOS with this version to fix your problem". I really think they were just throwing something because they had no idea, but i tried to update BIOS and of course, i couldn't, because all the configurations i modified when formatted (specially changing type of Windows partition).
Yes, many people clean install their system when they realize their newly bought laptop comes with bloatware.

From what I know you can update ALL things on your laptop except the BIOS even if there's a newer version unless the manufacturer updates for you. Even the retailer of ASUS warned me that. NEVER NEVER touch the BIOS yourself....unless you want to brick the laptop and send it back to the manufacturer. Update BIOS firmware in computer is different from updating the firmware in your router.

You may have changed something in the process of clean install. Can try to reinstate to its original condition and see whether the problem is there? This will take a lot of job.

Reactions: RoboMan
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Obviously when you game you need to do on the nvidia card which is the powerful one and you need drivers also. Not sure why your pc has the specific issues but you can work around it. Make uac auto elevate signed software and change uac level to not show notification. Security is pretty much the same and you anw have application control with other products.

Ps you can't disable the intel hd on laptops. It's needed to render the final image.
Interesting. Task manager still presents a bit of unexpected delay but everything else requiring administrator privileges work fine now. I changed UAC to show no notification, but i don't really know how to make it auto elevate signed software...

Yes, many people clean install their system when they realize their newly bought laptop comes with bloatware.

From what I know you can update ALL things on your laptop except the BIOS even if there's a newer version unless the manufacturer updates for you. Even the retailer of ASUS warned me that. NEVER NEVER touch the BIOS yourself....unless you want to brick the laptop and send it back to the manufacturer.

You may have changed something in the process of clean install. Can try to reinstate to its original condition and see whether the problem is there? This will take a lot of job.
Will do if strictly necessary but will try to avoid touching BIOS again lol. Thanks for the tips!

OHHHH LONG LIVE THE KING

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Are your laptop's manufacturer issued Intel HD drivers installed or is it the vanilla Intel drivers? Intel video card on notebooks really shouldn't be used with standard Intel drivers... personal experience here...

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Interesting. Task manager still presents a bit of unexpected delay but everything else requiring administrator privileges work fine now. I changed UAC to show no notification, but i don't really know how to make it auto elevate signed software...

Will do if strictly necessary but will try to avoid touching BIOS again lol. Thanks for the tips!

OHHHH LONG LIVE THE KING
You have windows 10 home or pro?

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Are your laptop's manufacturer issued Intel HD drivers installed or is it the vanilla Intel drivers? Intel video card on notebooks really shouldn't be used with standard Intel drivers... personal experience here...
Frankly speaking. For hardware if there's no issue then don't touch the driver even if there's a newer driver. Manufacturer releases new driver version is to cater to those having problems.

Upvote 0

Every time a software requires administrator privileges, screen turns black for one second when it prompts for elevation and mouse is frozen. After this second, i accept or deny the privileges, and screen and mouse if frozen again for another second. Then it works again. Then, a normal operation that should take 1/4 second on my laptop takes around 3 seconds... Check the short video i made, sorry i created it with my phone because i cannot screen record, read below to know why:

How do i know it's a driver incompatibility? My laptop has two graphic cards: integrated Intel HD Graphics 630, and dedicated Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. Both require a driver of course.
After a fresh Windows install i realise i only have the Intel driver installed and i have no graphical issues. Even if i update this driver to the lastest version, there's no problem. But if i do not install the Nvidia driver then i cannot game properly. I realised that if i install Nvidia driver then this graphical issue starts taking place. If i clean uninstall the Intel driver and stay with the Nvidia, then there is no graphical issue at all, but i cannot game. I need both drivers updated in order to game, but only one of them installed in order to have no graphical issues.

So i must choose, game or no graphical issues. Not a fair choice. Of course i've chosen gaming so far but it's tedious because i spent a lot of money on this gaming laptop.

Interesting fact: this graphical issue does not take place when there's an active software using the graphic card, for example when i'm gaming in full screen, screen recording, etc.

I don't know how to fix, i'm getting crazy! Any help is welcome.

This is a long-standing, known issue. The only two things you can do is revert to an earlier NVidia driver or wait for NVidia to fix their driver. Other than that, there is nothing you can do but accept it.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi! Thanks for the tips. I was using the Intel driver from Acer website, and the problem persisted. I tried Intel's generic driver from the official Intel site and the problem is still here. Both of them are the issue...

This is a long-standing, known issue. You can revert to an earlier NVidia driver or wait for NVidia to fix their driver.
Oh oh oh oh! Hot stuff here, i did not know this. Do you know which version should i look for in order to fix it? (revert it)

This is a long-standing, known issue. You can revert to an earlier NVidia driver or wait for NVidia to fix their driver.
You have windows 10 home or pro?

It's home!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.