Americas Army 3

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: grimreaper1014 Windows 8 x64 Security Configuration

Sounds like a corrupted Windows installation, similar events happened to me after Bitdefender'12 beta wrecked my PC. Did you previously upgrade from Windows 7, or new build with Windows 8?

A fresh/clean installation from scratch (reformat) should do the trick, then replace all the previous images with this new one.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011

Earth said:
Sounds like a corrupted Windows installation, similar events happened to me after Bitdefender'12 beta wrecked my PC. Did you previously upgrade from Windows 7, or new build with Windows 8?

A fresh/clean installation from scratch (reformat) should do the trick, then replace all the previous images with this new one.

Hi Earth,

When I would run the system file checker it could not find any corrupt files. I think it might of been something to do with AVAST free but I'm not sure. If it wasn't AVAST then I think it has something to do with a reg file that these registry cleaners are deleting in Windows 8. However, even after restoring the registry the computer was still like that. Therefore, I am stuck on what exactly was the cause. It is not doing it yet though on this clean install with just Windows Firewall and Windows Defender with NO registry cleaners or drive cleaners. All installations have been clean installs. No upgrade installs have been done.

Thanks,
Rocky

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Windows 8 does have a refresh PC feature, you may try it.

All files and documents will be saved but installed applications are removed.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Which Registry cleaner(s) were you using?

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011

@jamescv7 hmm so I can backup like my pictures and stuff like that but as far as drivers and any programs I installed I will have to put them all back on? How do I access this feature? I am not very familiar with Windows 8.

@ Earth I tried CCleaner, Wise Care 365 Pro, SlimCleaner, and there was one I got from giveawayoftheday not too long ago I think. I can't remember which one it was though. Also, I only installed one of them after each clean install. I never ran more than one at a time to minimize potential problems.

I have a laptop that I have been letting my son use. On it I have Bitdefender Internet Security installed. I jumped on the laptop today for the first time in like 6 months. I just wanted to make sure everything was running smoothly on it for him. What I noticed was Bitdefender Internet Security was alerting about virus's on Facebook. It still had my account logged in for Bitdefender Safego on the laptop. It alerted about a virus in a link for shoes that I did click on and never got an alert from AVAST about on my problematic desktop with Windows 8 x64. Therefore, I am thinking it could also have been some kind of virus. However, if it was it was not being picked up by AVAST or Malwarebytes.

Another thing that is making me lean towards some kind of virus is I make a lot of online purchases. I mostly make them through Facebook which I buy Facebook credits for a game I play. Well, I started noticing about two weeks ago that I kept getting e-mails from my bank which said that someone keeps answering my security questions with the wrong answers. Now it definitely isn't me. I know that password off by heart and never had a problem with my password there. I think this could all be linked.

Right now as I mentioned in my first post I am just using Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. I have added ExploitShield yesterday for some added protection. Is there anything else I can or should do to help keep me protected better? Most importantly I don't want anyone getting into my bank account. I haven't noticed any money missing or anything yet. I would like to keep it that way. I have sent my bank and e-mail asking if they could possibly see if there is a different IP address that is trying to log into my account as I always use the same PC with the same connection. However, I have not got a response from them yet about it. They have only tried to guess my security questions twice. If they try one more time I am going to call the bank directly.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Better safe than sorry, why not head over to Malware Removal Assistance?
https://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance-for-windows.10/

On Facebook, enable Login Approvals then enter your Mobile number.
https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=security&section=approvals&view
This will prevent unknown/untrusted browsers from logging to your account without a randomly generated code that would be sent to your Mobile number, if you own a smartphone you can use a code generator (Although do be aware of this, so much for the new malware infested apps for Android).

SDpYVFc.png

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011

@ Earth

Thanks for the reply. I already tweaked these settings a while back. When I use to use the laptop I am letting my son use now Safego from Bitdefender recommended some things to me and I believe these were some of them because they were already checked.

I think I am going to just install Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor. I use to use them on my Windows 7 system and I feel safe with it. I am going to check and see if it works okay. I did the clean install two days ago and haven't clicked any FB links that could of infected me since then. I also did a full scan with Windows Defender and Emsisoft Emergency Tool Kit. Neither of them found anything. I am going to do a scan with Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes before installing them just to make sure I am really clean.

Thanks,
Rocky

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

grimreaper1014 said:
@jamescv7 hmm so I can backup like my pictures and stuff like that but as far as drivers and any programs I installed I will have to put them all back on? How do I access this feature? I am not very familiar with Windows 8.

Use refresh only not the restore factory as they are different, if wanted to save documents and files then refresh is the option since nothing will affect only installed programs and updates.

Thread

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011

I have changed my security configuration to Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor Premium. I have also added ExploitShield for added protection and hardening. I have also added some on demand scanners. They are Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, and Emsisoft Emergency Toolkit on my flash drive. Please let me know if there is anything else I should use to protect my PC.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

grimreaper1014 said:
I have changed my security configuration to Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor Premium. I have also added ExploitShield for added protection and hardening. I have also added some on demand scanners. They are Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, and Emsisoft Emergency Toolkit on my flash drive. Please let me know if there is anything else I should use to protect my PC.

With all that added.... the only thing left is just and proper use of the internet. Don't be rash! :)

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011

@BSOD

Thanks for your reply. I think I am going to go ahead and leave things like this. This is the security I was using before I had problems and I didn't have any issues with it at all. Never had any virus's or anything weird happen while using it.

I also updated my config. I had to remove ExploitShield as there was a compatibility issue with it and Anti-Malware. It was replaced by KeyScrambler Free.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I tried Keyscrambler Personal (free) on Windows 7 32-bit, but it didn't register to protect keystrokes from Google Chrome. How is it working for you?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

On your current setup its fine enough, + ExploitShield should be really effective when you accidentally went from redirection of exploits.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011

@Earth

It is working good over here. I see it encrypting at the top of the browser while I am typing. It supports a lot of browsers now. You should give it another try.

@jamescv7

I had to end up uninstalling ExploitShield as it and Anti-Malware were conflicting. I ended up adding Keyscrambler to hopefully help protect from any of my banking info getting out.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011

*Update

Uninstalled the fallowing
Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Emsisoft Online Armor Premium
KeyScrambler Free
Emsisoft Emergency Toolkit
Google Chrome Public Release
Adblock Plus w/ Fanboys Ultimate List And Malware Domains
Google Docs

Installed
AVAST Internet Security 8 - Custom Install Removed P2P, IM, Safezone, Antispam, Gadjet, Remote, Browser Cleanup, Software Update, and Secure Line.
Google Chrome Beta
AVAST Adblock
AVAST Online Security Plugin
FB Unseen (Ad free version)
Zenmate Chrome Version
Revo Uninstaller Pro
Paragon Backup and Recovery™ 12 Compact
JetClean
Mozilla Thunderbird
Foxit Reader
SMPlayer
BurnAware Free
WinX DVD Author
Freemake Video Converter
Any DVD Cloner Express
Origin
Steam
Game Gain

Anyone know of any AVAST settings tweaks I could apply?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you tried the Beta of Avast Online Security?
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Avast-Online-Security-New-BETA?pid=135526#pid135526

However, it may conflict with (original) AdBlock.

Avast Settings:
- Enable PUP detection for the Shields
- If you want a less delayed boot you can disable rootkit scan at Windows startup (may slightly compromise security)

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Hi Earth,

I gave the beta a try but decided to uninstall it until it is officially released. I have been running my web browsers (Chrome Beta and Internet Explorer 10) in the AVAST sandbox. Is there a way to get downloaded files out of the sandbox without having to disable the sandbox in AVAST? That is the only thing that drives me crazy about sandboxes. Then again I don't really know much about them. I have enabled PUP detection as you recommended as well. Also, I cannot seam to find a way to setup scheduled scanning in AVAST.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not possible, according this post:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=131553.0
Hi, i have asked the avast technical support team about a 2-3 days ago and they told me that the files downloaded in the sandbox cannot be restored. If you need to download a trusted file, then download it in the regular browser without a sandbox. I hope that they will add this function in the next version.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Oh dang that sucks. They need to have a popup that asks if you want to download the file to the sandbox or if you want to have it scanned and placed outside the sandbox. What about scheduled scanning? I can't seem to find a place to setup scanning by schedule.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.