grimreaper1014's Config

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Backup Windows Backup to flash drive.
Other Programs Auslogics BoostSpeed, COMODO Programs Manager, VLC media player, Nitro Reader, Kingsoft Office, and Sothink Movie DVD Maker.

I was looking for some help securing my pc and decided to post here. I know a lot about computers as far as repairing them etc. However, when it comes to firewalls and antivirus this is my weakness. I am not very knowledgeable about them. I have installed Outpost Internet Security Pro. I have read that the firewall is very good but not the antivirus portion. When installing I chose the simple configuration. The program looks very complicated with a lot of settings. I want to make sure that I am properly protected. If need be I can reinstall it and install a different AV if the suite allows. This is a fresh install of Windows with all Windows updates applied. I am also behind a Netgear WNR3500L wireless router. It has been flashed to TomatoUSB. I do not connect to any of the other computers on the network or use print sharing. Another problem I am having is my PC only has one hard drive. It is 750gb. I would like to get everything setup properly and backup my PC. The problem is I do not have the money for another hard drive. Can someone please offer me some suggestions on what I can do to backup my PC? That is another one of my weakness's. I do not know how to properly backup my computer. I am use to reinstalling Windows from scratch. I have tried to supply as much information as possible. If there is anything I am missing and is needed in order to recommend a solution please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Replace Kingsoft PC Doctor with Malwarebytes Free.

Windows 7 Firewall is quite good without third-party software, I'd concentrate on getting a decent Antivirus, if you're worried.

Apologies if I haven't read your first post properly.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Earth said:
Replace Kingsoft PC Doctor with Malwarebytes Free.

Windows 7 Firewall is quite good without third-party software, I'd concentrate on getting a decent Antivirus, if you're worried.

Apologies if I haven't read your first post properly.

Thanks for your recommendations. I will uninstall Kingsoft PC Doctor and install Malwarebytes. Actually I have changed my mind. I am just going to install Comodo Internet Security. I have found a video by McLovin I am going to fallow. I would appreciate any other recommendations you guys can offer.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
McLovin said:
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips.

Have you got any backup options?

If not here are a few options:

Thanks for your reply McLovin. I currently do not have any backup options. As I mentioned above I am limited to a single hard drive with 750gb of space. What would my best option be? I would need something free as right now money is tight. Also, properly backing up my PC is something I have never done before. I have always just did a clean install of Windows. For whatever software is recommended could you please tell me how to go about creating a backup? Also, I have purchased a 1 year license of Comodo Internet Security 2012 for 3pc's. It was only $4.99. I figured this would be a good option over the free one as it comes with $500 virus protection and unlimited Geekbuddy. Also, I have two laptops and a desktop that need secured. So it looks like everything should work out good. McLovin the video you posted a few threads down is that what I should fallow to set Comodo up? Thanks again!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
grimreaper1014 said:
Thanks for your reply McLovin. I currently do not have any backup options. As I mentioned above I am limited to a single hard drive with 750gb of space. What would my best option be? I would need something free as right now money is tight. Also, properly backing up my PC is something I have never done before. I have always just did a clean install of Windows. For whatever software is recommended could you please tell me how to go about creating a backup? Also, I have purchased a 1 year license of Comodo Internet Security 2012 for 3pc's. It was only $4.99. I figured this would be a good option over the free one as it comes with $500 virus protection and unlimited Geekbuddy. Also, I have two laptops and a desktop that need secured. So it looks like everything should work out good. McLovin the video you posted a few threads down is that what I should fallow to set Comodo up? Thanks again!

The best one that I recommend is Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional because it is easy to follow and use. If you are have trouble backing up though, you could (don't know how much they are where you are) go out and buy a 1TB external hard drive, and use that and backup your OS onto that. As for Comodo Internet Security the paid version, never tried the paid version so I would be sure on what are the features in it. With the video I posted on how to install and configure Comodo Internet Security, I have closed my YouTube channel so that vidoe is not available. I hope to be creating another one, doing the same thing on my new channel ElectricShows.

For a guide, you could read this and if this doesn't help then I'll look into what I can find. :)

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
McLovin said:
grimreaper1014 said:

The best one that I recommend is Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional because it is easy to follow and use. If you are have trouble backing up though, you could (don't know how much they are where you are) go out and buy a 1TB external hard drive, and use that and backup your OS onto that. As for Comodo Internet Security the paid version, never tried the paid version so I would be sure on what are the features in it. With the video I posted on how to install and configure Comodo Internet Security, I have closed my YouTube channel so that vidoe is not available. I hope to be creating another one, doing the same thing on my new channel ElectricShows.

For a guide, you could read this and if this doesn't help then I'll look into what I can find. :)

Thanks for your reply. I will give that guide a try and see what happens. As far as backing up the OS I would either need an external drive or I would have to back them up to DVD? I could do the DVD backup as I have a lot of extra ones. I guess what I would want to do is get everything installed and configured correctly, and then back it up that way I don't have to make numerous backups. Also, I guess I should take the backup before installing a security suite that way I don't have to go through uninstalling it after the subscription runs out. I will let you know if I run into any problems configuring Comodo. I have also checked into EMET. However, I have never used it before. How do you configure that?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
grimreaper1014 said:
Thanks for your reply. I will give that guide a try and see what happens. As far as backing up the OS I would either need an external drive or I would have to back them up to DVD? I could do the DVD backup as I have a lot of extra ones. I guess what I would want to do is get everything installed and configured correctly, and then back it up that way I don't have to make numerous backups. Also, I guess I should take the backup before installing a security suite that way I don't have to go through uninstalling it after the subscription runs out. I will let you know if I run into any problems configuring Comodo. I have also checked into EMET. However, I have never used it before. How do you configure that?

Yes you could use a DVD for your backup BUT they will have to be the high volume ones and when backing your OS up, install all your software EXCEPT your security suite. You can install that after you have got the backup done. With EMET, here is a guide on how to configure it. :)

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Just because you have a 750gb drive doesn't mean your using 750gb. Check out how much space your using and you can build a better backup plan. If its light you could use online storage like dropbox, box, or the many other free services. if it's a little bigger you could use a usb flash drive which is cheaper than another hard drive.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
What addons are you using in WaterFox?
If not using any, I suggest adding the following:
Adblock Plus
Web Of Trust (WOT)
TrackerBlock

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can add one of the tools for toolbox, CCE (Comodo Cleaning Essentials).

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a few questions. Can I just partition my 750gb hard drive to two separate partitions, and use the second to store my backups from the first? If so what is the best freeware option that is easy to use for this purpose? I was looking into online storage but I cannot find a free alternative that will allow enough space. Is there a place online that allows a decent amount of storage? The only ones I have found in the past are ones that allow like 5gb or 10gb at the most. Also, when I used them they have restrictions like you can't upload files larger than 1gb. I don't have much installed on my computer and I am using 15gb. I am planning on doing a clean install of Windows 7 x64 here in a little bit. That way I can create a good backup this time to save time in the future. If there are any other programs you guys could recommend, or any tweaks you guys apply after during a clean install please let me know. I would like to knock this out today. Thanks again for all your help.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
For backup I am going to use Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 free. I see it has an option to create a backup capsule. Which is basically where it will split the hard drive for me to create backups. I have never used the program before. Hopefully it will be easy to figure out.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
drive partitions won't help in the event the hard drive fails. With only 17gb utilized you could pickup a usb flash drive for the big file and upload the others to box.com, dropbox.com, microsoft skydrive, amazon music storage, apple icloud and many others. Also if your dvd drive supports it you could pickup some dual layer dvd's which support up to 8.5gb each. I always make some and ship them out to family members out of state in case of fire or alien invasion.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
pcjunklist said:
drive partitions won't help in the event the hard drive fails. With only 17gb utilized you could pickup a usb flash drive for the big file and upload the others to box.com, dropbox.com, microsoft skydrive, amazon music storage, apple icloud and many others.
Thanks for your response. Just went back to read your post again. My DVD burner does support dual layer DVD's. I will pick some of those up for now. Is there an easy to use straight forward piece of freeware you can recommend for creating backups? This is something I have not done before so I want to make sure I get it right the first time lol. Otherwise for me with my luck it could turn into an expensive task.

When installing CIS is there any settings I should adjust guys, or will the default settings be fine?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
grimreaper1014 said:
When installing CIS is there any settings I should adjust guys, or will the default settings be fine?

The default settings should be fine , however if you want to dig deeper into the settings you can use this guide to achieve a better overall protection.
Are you using any plugins/add-ons for your browser?

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Jack said:
grimreaper1014 said:

The default settings should be fine , however if you want to dig deeper into the settings you can use this guide to achieve a better overall protection.
Are you using any plugins/add-ons for your browser?
Thanks for your response Jack. Yes I use Zscaler Likejacking Prevention and adblock plus so far.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
grimreaper1014 said:
Yes I use Zscaler Likejacking Prevention and adblock plus so far.

Here are some valuable plugins that you should add to your browser :

WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.
More Info

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

If you have any question about any of them don't hesitate to ask.
Also did you add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a on-demand scanner?

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for you help Jack. I will install those to my browser. Yes I have also added Malwarebytes as well.

I am confused on backing up my PC to the dual layer DVD's. I have absolutely no idea how this works. I was looking at the backup process in Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 free. Under "My Computer" it has 5 boxes that I can check. They are labeled Basic MBR Hard Disk 0, First Hard Disk Track, Master Boot Record, System Reserved, and Local Disk (C:). Do I have to select them all when doing the backup, or is there only certain ones I need? When I want to revert back to the image do I just go to the restore option in Paragon, and it will restore my PC exactly like it was when the DVD's where burned?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
grimreaper1014 said:
Thanks for you help Jack. I will install those to my browser. Yes I have also added Malwarebytes as well.

I am confused on backing up my PC to the dual layer DVD's. I have absolutely no idea how this works. I was looking at the backup process in Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 free. Under "My Computer" it has 5 boxes that I can check. They are labeled Basic MBR Hard Disk 0, First Hard Disk Track, Master Boot Record, System Reserved, and Local Disk (C:). Do I have to select them all when doing the backup, or is there only certain ones I need? When I want to revert back to the image do I just go to the restore option in Paragon, and it will restore my PC exactly like it was when the DVD's where burned?
Yes, you can create a backup image of an entire hard disk or system partitions, just to have in case of a hard drive failure.
One of the advantage with Paragon is the fact that you have ability to perform a differential backup that will only archive changes since the last full sector-based image, thus saving backup storage space.In other words once you have made a complete backup image of your PC (preferably to an external drive), you can perform (select) subsequent differential backups that will only backup the changes from the initial full backup; thus saving time and drive storage space.
Make sure you create a recovery disk that can be used to boot up your system in the event your computer is no longer booting into Windows.
I wouldn't advise you to start backing up on DVD's as it is a time comusiming job , instead if you are really interested in backing up your data buy a external HDD.For instance their is a HOT DEAL over at neweeg.com from which you can buy a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1.5TB USB 2.0 Black External Hard Drive STAC1500100 for only 99$......Of course you may find other better deals on the web.

Paragon created a very good document on how to use their product so make sure you read it : http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/BR2012Free_en_manual.pdf

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.