grimreaper1014's Config

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Jack said:
grimreaper1014 said:
Thanks for you help Jack. I will install those to my browser. Yes I have also added Malwarebytes as well.

I am confused on backing up my PC to the dual layer DVD's. I have absolutely no idea how this works. I was looking at the backup process in Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 free. Under "My Computer" it has 5 boxes that I can check. They are labeled Basic MBR Hard Disk 0, First Hard Disk Track, Master Boot Record, System Reserved, and Local Disk (C:). Do I have to select them all when doing the backup, or is there only certain ones I need? When I want to revert back to the image do I just go to the restore option in Paragon, and it will restore my PC exactly like it was when the DVD's where burned?
Yes, you can create a backup image of an entire hard disk or system partitions, just to have in case of a hard drive failure.
One of the advantage with Paragon is the fact that you have ability to perform a differential backup that will only archive changes since the last full sector-based image, thus saving backup storage space.In other words once you have made a complete backup image of your PC (preferably to an external drive), you can perform (select) subsequent differential backups that will only backup the changes from the initial full backup; thus saving time and drive storage space.
Make sure you create a recovery disk that can be used to boot up your system in the event your computer is no longer booting into Windows.
I wouldn't advise you to start backing up on DVD's as it is a time comusiming job , instead if you are really interested in backing up your data buy a external HDD.For instance their is a HOT DEAL over at neweeg.com from which you can buy a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1.5TB USB 2.0 Black External Hard Drive STAC1500100 for only 99$......Of course you may find other better deals on the web.

Paragon created a very good document on how to use their product so make sure you read it : http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/BR2012Free_en_manual.pdf

Thanks for the detailed response. That was exactly what I needed. Everything makes perfect sense now. I need to get some money together for an external hard drive now. I guess I will use the DVD option temporarily until I can grab a external hard drive. I have lots of extra DVD's laying around collecting dust any ways. Well with all you guys suggestions I think I have enough to go ahead and do the clean install and make a backup. Even if it takes a while to do it to DVD in the long run it will be worth it. It takes forever to start from scratch with no backup.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
It's best to do a system image on a removable drive whether it by a usb flash or external hard drive. If you don't have the money then I would suggest just backing up your personal files, especially if you already have all the program disks. Make sure you gather your license keys with a program like magical jelly bean finder and save them to a txt file for safe keeping, that way you can install them again if need be.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
I am trying to add Bufferzone Pro x64 to my system. When I try to install it I am getting a warning that CIS is a incompatible program. I thought maybe it was due to the sandbox feature in CIS. I disabled the CIS sandbox and tried to run the Bufferzone installer again. I got the same message. It is just a warning though, and I can install it anyways. Has anyone tried this yet? Will it work?

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Also I have the Thunderbird x64 equivalent called Earlybird. Anyone know a free anti-spam program that will work with it? Also my email through my ISP has given me some problems in the past. My ISP is DSL Extreme. They use gmail. I believe it is the SSL the email uses that made it difficult for me to setup any anti-spam programs in the past. I have tried using the anti-spam in some security suites I have used in the past. There was one that I got to work but can't remember which one it was so it must be possible. I believe the how it worked was you set the email program up as a regular email with no SSL and default port and then use the ISP's settings in the anti-spam program. Does this sound right to anyone? If not could someone please let me know what I can do? I want to limit some of the stuff that hits my inbox. I am getting a lot of mail.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
well if you have access to the gmail account setup a mail filter in the gmail settings. You can also setup mail filtering in thunderbird (earlybird) as well as spam and junk settings. Here is some info on thunderbird filtering http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_(Thunderbird)

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
pcjunklist said:
well if you have access to the gmail account setup a mail filter in the gmail settings. You can also setup mail filtering in thunderbird (earlybird) as well as spam and junk settings. Here is some info on thunderbird filtering http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_(Thunderbird)

Thanks for you help. I will look into that.

Hey guys I am running this same setup on my 8 yr old sons laptop. I was wondering if there is anything I should add or do? I wish I could use bufferzone but I ran into an error that said that CIS was incompatible. It would let me continue to install without removing CIS but I don't know if that would be a good idea or not. Is there any other suggestions you guys could add?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If there is a problem in installing Bufferzone and CIS, try Sandboxie since they have different function of virtualization and may not have conflicts to CIS.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
I have installed Time Freeze. This way the whole system is protected. My son is only 8 and there is no telling what he could alter on the computer. Plus I like to try new software and what not. This way if I'm not satisfied I can just reboot and not save the changes.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
An LUA account and maximum UAC could prevent your son on doing something like downloading files from internet since it only grant with Administration permission.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for all the tips guys I really appreciate it. I have a question about Sandboxie x64. I have installed it along side CIS Pro. I got a popup from Sandboxie saying that it would increase compatibility with EMET and CIS Pro. Is this okay? I have never used Sandboxie before. As I mentioned in another post I got a warning about CIS not being compatible with Bufferzone Pro as well. If this should work fine can someone give me a crash course on how exactly to use Sandboxie? I don't even have a clue lol. I am also going to spend some time updating my security configuration so you can all see exactly what I have going on.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
grimreaper1014 said:
Thanks for all the tips guys I really appreciate it. I have a question about Sandboxie x64. I have installed it along side CIS Pro. I got a popup from Sandboxie saying that it would increase compatibility with EMET and CIS Pro. Is this okay?
you've got an alert like the below one correct?
E9S3t.png

If yes, then it's very normal and you should add this setting. Did you change any other setting in Sandboxie configuration ?

grimreaper1014 said:
I got a warning about CIS not being compatible with Bufferzone Pro as well.
If you already have Sandboxie on your system, I would recommend that you remove BufferZone as it does basically the same thing however this software it's in early life when it comes to x64 OS.
From where did you get a warning?

I see that you also now run Zemana along side CIS , do you do online transactions often ?

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Jack said:
grimreaper1014 said:
Thanks for all the tips guys I really appreciate it. I have a question about Sandboxie x64. I have installed it along side CIS Pro. I got a popup from Sandboxie saying that it would increase compatibility with EMET and CIS Pro. Is this okay?
you've got an alert like the below one correct?
E9S3t.png

If yes, then it's very normal and you should add this setting. Did you change any other setting in Sandboxie configuration ?

grimreaper1014 said:
I got a warning about CIS not being compatible with Bufferzone Pro as well.
If you already have Sandboxie on your system, I would recommend that you remove BufferZone as it does basically the same thing however this software it's in early life when it comes to x64 OS.
From where did you get a warning?

I see that you also now run Zemana along side CIS , do you do online transactions often ?

That was the warning I was referring to. The one you posted in the image. Do I actually have to click where it says "Add"? The first few times it popped up I just clicked "Ok" at the bottom. I have not changed any of the settings or anything. I have just installed the program. I have never used Sandboxie before. Thought I would post here first and see what you guys say about how to use it. As far as Bufferzone I never installed it. It gave me the warning that it was not compatible with CIS. However, I was snooping around and if I wanted it to I could of got it to install without uninstalling CIS. So maybe that is something for someone to play with. Maybe the two will work together, and it is just a warning. Yes I do a decent amount of online transactions. That is why I have now added Zemana.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
I got a copy of Mamutu for free from a giveaway. Would this be something that could compliment my current setup, or should I just hold onto it for another time? My biggest concern is if it will work correctly with CIS or not. I have read that it shouldn't because it is a behavioral blocker and not HIPS. However, I do not know enough about all this. I do know a lot about computers, but security is an area I am not the greatest with.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you encountered any issues with BZP on your 64-bit OS?

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Earth said:
Have you encountered any issues with BZP on your 64-bit OS?

I haven't tried the latest version yet. I'm getting ready to try it hear shortly. I do believe I tried one of the older versions a few months back with no issues. I will let you know what I come up with here shortly.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Uninstalled Bufferzone Pro and Panda Cloud Beta. Installed Avast Free, and activated Windows firewall. So far so good. I am really liking the new Avast.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.