Grimreaper1014's New PC Build Config

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Hi guys,

I just built a new PC and this is my current configuration. I was looking through the other Security Configuration Wizard topics and don't see anyone else running Vipre. I know it use to be really popular. Is this just because of all the free alternatives out there, or is it because of antivirus testing sites reporting mediocre 0 day infection results? I ran Vipre Internet Security 2014 for the trial period and I liked it. Therefore, when I seen two lifetime licenses on Ebay for $35 I decided to pull the trigger on the deal. If 0 day malware prevention is really an issue with this AV is there anything I can do to increase protection in that area, or does my current setup look good enough?

Thanks,
Rocky

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Since the HIPS is really old school in Vipre and the firewall is too. I decided to add WinPatrol to my system. I figure it should help with improve the detection of the 0-day nasties with very minimal system impact. I have never used it before though. Anyone know if there is any settings I should change in WinPatrol? Right now I am just running the free version with default settings.

I

illumination

Your config is good.. Everything is covered.. Vipre is still a decent product.. It is mainly set and forget, kinda why you do not see many messing with it here now days. On windows 8.1, Vipre is more then enough to keep you protected,, along with smartscreen and UAC. Having the on demands is a plus as well..

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Your config is good.. Everything is covered.. Vipre is still a decent product.. It is mainly set and forget, kinda why you do not see many messing with it here now days. On windows 8.1, Vipre is more then enough to keep you protected,, along with smartscreen and UAC. Having the on demands is a plus as well..

Yes I am just using the default config with a few little tweaks for Vipre. What I meant was is there any configuration to maximize the protection of WinPatrol that I can do?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Prevent 0-days, by minimising your surface of attack. It's easier said than done, but it's good practice (IMO).

The chances of being infected by a zero-day is slim, unless you're desperate to view the "not-a-virus-cute-puppy.mp4.exe"

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Hi guys,

I ended up running into a problem with a Bootkit (I believe its called) virus. I was told to reformat my drives and reinstall Windows. Another thing that was suggested to me was to reinstall Windows using UEFI and SecureBoot. Therefore, I did just that on my ASRock z77 Extreme6 motherboard. Before reformatting I was also getting BSOD because I guess some of my drivers even though they said they were Windows 8.1 x64 compatible they really were not. I was told that if a driver is really Windows 8.1 compatible it should be released after Oct. 2013. Anyways I ended up getting all the correct Windows 8.1 x64 drivers installed this time. I am running my PC with the bare minimums right now to make sure there are no problems.

I was doing some research that some backup programs are not compatible with UEFI and SecureBoot. I did some reading that Macrium Reflect is compatible. Therefore, I decided to install it. My question is I have never used it before and do not know the proper steps for having it backup GPT partitioned drives with SecureBoot. Could someone help me out with this so that I can get my OS backed up properly? Also, I have a question about where to store the backup. These are the hard drives I have. One OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD, One OCZ Solid 3 60gb drive, and a old SATAII 300MB/S 750GB Hitachi Hard Drive. Right now I got my OS installed to the OCZ Vertex 4. The 60GB Solid 3 and the Hitachi 750GB Hard Drive are empty. Should I install my OS, Software, and Games to the Vertex 4 and the 60GB Solid 3 and use the 750GB Hitachi for backups? Would it be better to just remove the OCZ Solid 3 60GB SSD and replace it with a new hard drive like a SSHD Hybrid Drive for my games, and then use the SATAII 750GB Hitachi for backups?

Thank you,
Rocky

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hi guys,
I have a question about where to store the backup. These are the hard drives I have. One OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD, One OCZ Solid 3 60gb drive, and a old SATAII 300MB/S 750GB Hitachi Hard Drive. Right now I got my OS installed to the OCZ Vertex 4. The 60GB Solid 3 and the Hitachi 750GB Hard Drive are empty. Should I install my OS, Software, and Games to the Vertex 4 and the 60GB Solid 3 and use the 750GB Hitachi for backups? Would it be better to just remove the OCZ Solid 3 60GB SSD and replace it with a new hard drive like a SSHD Hybrid Drive for my games, and then use the SATAII 750GB Hitachi for backups?

Thank you,
Rocky
installing your OS, Software, and Games to the Vertex 4 and the 60GB Solid 3 and use the 750GB Hitachi for backups would be the best possible option, Keep at least 30% free space in the os drive so that the windows gets enough free space for paging file. Install A SSD friendly Defragmenter like diskeeper to minimise the fragmentation. IMHO it will be better to go for a 250 GB ssd than a hybrid drive.

Reactions: grimreaper1014

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
installing your OS, Software, and Games to the Vertex 4 and the 60GB Solid 3 and use the 750GB Hitachi for backups would be the best possible option, Keep at least 30% free space in the os drive so that the windows gets enough free space for paging file. Install A SSD friendly Defragmenter like diskeeper to minimise the fragmentation. IMHO it will be better to go for a 250 GB ssd than a hybrid drive.

I am actually thinking now that prices have fell on SSD's I might just go for a larger one as you suggested. However, I still would like to get a SATAIII hard drive to replace the aging SATAII Hitachi I have installed. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I am also debating on if I should keep backups on an internal drive or buy a external drive. I had an external drive a long time ago. It was a USB one and that thing was slower than Moses. Are they a lot faster now days?

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I am also debating on if I should keep backups on an internal drive or buy a external drive. I had an external drive a long time ago. It was a USB one and that thing was slower than Moses. Are they a lot faster now days?
I have a 1 TB segate USB 3.0 drive and i am getting a writing speed of 60 to 90 MB/sec, kind of decent i think.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
I have made some changes to my pc software here they are.

Backup and Recovery: AOMEI Backupper

Default Web Browser: Pale Moon x64

Browser Add-ons: Lastpass & Bluhell Firewall

List of other software: Thunderbird, PrivaZer, VLC Player x64, Foxit Reader

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.