• Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
HP Elitebook G2
1Tb WD SATA drive
8GB Ram
Intel i5-5300U CPU
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This computer configuration is using an unsupported operating system. If possible, we recommend to upgrade to an operating system that is supported by its developers to remain protected from the latest threats.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
1: Why not upgrade to W10? W7 is already obsolete and will not have security patches.
In addition, the specifications of your PC are fully compatible with W10.
2: I suggest a backup program.
Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper in its free versions.
Thanks for sharing.(y)

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi! Thanks for sharing! Have you considered migrating to Windows 10? Windows 7 has reciently been abandoned and has no longer support, means a potential risk to malware and vulnerabilities.

I highly recommend enabling updates, important risk factor.

As for your malware protection, is Kaspersky default or customized? Check this thread on how to configure it for best protection: Discuss - RoboMan's Light Kaspersky Settings

That's as far as I go with "you must do" advice. Now suggestions:
  • Add a couple of second opinion scanners (ex. Norton Power Eraser, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Antimalware)
  • Add an adblocking extension (uBlock Origin, Adguard)
  • Bitwarden is a good, free, opensource password manager
  • Make sure to grab a good backup software, for both data and system images! You never know when you can lose access to it!
Why a password manager? The lack of it usually leads to one of these two:
  1. Writing down your passwords on paper/on your phone
  2. Using the same passwords on every site (or changing a tiny factor like one number or symbol)
These are good reasons to be worried since one attack on a random server can vulnerate one account and therefore all of them (there are several software to crack the rest of your passwords with little combinations to guess the other ones). A password manager will store them securely, auto fill every site, and save new passwords when you create an account or change your password.

Why a system image software?
  1. Updates can break your OS and make it unusable
  2. Malware can do it too
  3. You can break your OS by corrupting installs or similar
  4. You wouldn't need to format every time this happens
Why data backup software? You can lose your data at any time! Pictures, videos, documents.
  1. With malware attacks (ransomware)
  2. When your hard disk fails
  3. When your OS corrupts

Last edited:

grrr

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
1: Why not upgrade to W10? W7 is already obsolete and will not have security patches.
In addition, the specifications of your PC are fully compatible with W10.
2: I suggest a backup program.
Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper in its free versions.
Thanks for sharing.(y)

Thanks bribon77 for the suggestions. I had planned to upgrade to Win10, however due to my travel I'm postponing it and might do at a later time. I also plan to use Macrium Reflect free, had tried it once and it worked fine.

Hi! Thanks for sharing! Have you considered migrating to Windows 10? Windows 7 has reciently been abandoned and has no longer support, means a potential risk to malware and vulnerabilities.

I highly recommend enabling updates, important risk factor.

As for your malware protection, is Kaspersky default or customized? Check this thread on how to configure it for best protection: Discuss - RoboMan's Light Kaspersky Settings

That's as far as I go with "you must do" advice. Now suggestions:
  • Add a couple of second opinion scanners (ex. Norton Power Eraser, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Antimalware)
  • Add an adblocking extension (uBlock Origin, Adguard)
  • Bitwarden is a good, free, opensource password manager
  • Make sure to grab a good backup software, for both data and system images! You never know when you can lose access to it!
Why a password manager? The lack of it usually leads to one of these two:
  1. Writing down your passwords on paper/on your phone
  2. Using the same passwords on every site (or changing a tiny factor like one number or symbol)
These are good reasons to be worried since one attack on a random server can vulnerate one account and therefore all of them (there are several software to crack the rest of your passwords with little combinations to guess the other ones). A password manager will store them securely, auto fill every site, and save new passwords when you create an account or change your password.

Why a system image software?
  1. Updates can break your OS and make it unusable
  2. Malware can do it too
  3. You can break your OS by corrupting installs or similar
  4. You wouldn't need to format every time this happens
Why data backup software? You can lose your data at any time! Pictures, videos, documents.
  1. With malware attacks (ransomware)
  2. When your hard disk fails
  3. When your OS corrupts

Thanks Robbie for the suggestions. I had planned to upgrade to Win10, however due to my travel I'm postponing it and might do at a later time. I also plan to use Macrium Reflect free, had tried it once and it worked fine.
I'm using Kaspersky default, but remember making 5-6 changes on my own, especially as it was not allowing some sites to load. I had thought of using MBAM free, but dropped the plan as laptop became too slow to use with KIS.
I'll revisit your suggestions once I upgrade to Win10.

Thanks, Grr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.