Grrr's PC Config

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast Free is simple basic AV with no antispyware.

Any feedback on Bitdefender Free AV and Avira Free?

Avast incorporates Antivirus+Antispyware engine for many years, and the PUP detection can be enabled using the First run wizard after installing the latest 2015 version. On modern hardware, they offer avast! NG which requires Hardware Virtualisation, so unless you're running an old PC, then you cannot say Avast is a simple AV. Hardened Mode offers default deny to any non-whitelisted programs, when set to Aggressive.

>> Avast may offer Google Chrome and/or Google Toolbar, and Dropbox software.

If you're afraid of Adware/Spyware from getting on your PC, try out Unchecky.com which will automatically de-select any promotional software and run silently in the background. It will warn you, when you try and install any third-party toolbars etc.

Bitdefender Free Antivirus requires a Bitdefender account, so if you plan on using for more than 60-days, you'll need to register. - Not easy to get account deleted.

>> Bitdefender offers no additional third-party software. Anonymous data collection is On by default.

Avira Free Antivirus utilises Windows Firewall, so it may display Firewall as OFF, if you use Outpost as your primary.

>> Avira may offer Dropbox software.
>> Avira Launcher will be standard in the setup, can be uninstalled post-install.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/avira-launcher.31440/

Reactions: grrr

grrr

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
@Huracan, thanks for the detailed reply, appreciate it.

Seems Avast free is a better choice. Btw I'm looking forward to win Avira Pro from MWT giveaway. Fingers crossed.

grrr

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
Just an update that I installed Avira PRO. Using it along with Outpost Firewall and MBAM.

Reactions: JM Safe

grrr

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
Boss you're using outpost firewall
But at the same time outpost internet security is also free.
Any changes our MT Experts can advise You .
which is good or Not.:)

Over the years I found Outpost Firewall to be rock solid. Never tried outpost internet security which comes in both Free & paid versions...

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

grrr

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
Your update looks solid, @grrr! Was your Avast Pro the direct result of your successfully crossed fingers & subsequent win in the Giveaway?:D

Actually no, as I didn't win. Even the Avira Pro license was given to me by a friend, whom I kept bugging until I got the license.

But I managed to grab 1year Avast Pro license from below promo, to use on another system where i have the Avast free version installed.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/avast-pro-antivirus-free-one-year-license.47080/

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Actually no, as I didn't win. Even the Avira Pro license was given to me by a friend, whom I kept bugging until I got the license.

But I managed to grab 1year Avast Pro license from below promo, to use on another system where i have the Avast free version installed.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/avast-pro-antivirus-free-one-year-license.47080/
Generous friends, as well as our illustrious site, make life much easier ...and less costly too!:p Thank you for the promo <link>, I shall check it out. Btw, I happened to be among the winners for Avira Pro's Giveaway (you could have bugged me!:p) yet have not needed the key (yet). Our Avast! Premier will be expiring next month.:rolleyes:

Since you're using Avast on (2) systems now,o_O something tells me you must like it!:D :cool:

Reactions: grrr and JM Safe

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I can't advise using only MBAM as your only AV and neither does Malwarebytes.

Qihoo is the bee's knees. Forget what mass media says (except for the part where it ranked up there with BD, KIS, Avira). I had no problems testing/running it with MBAM Premium. I posted some results somewhere in this forum (search "Quick file test" by me).

Backup. Ummm....Windows Fricken' Backup...you already have it. It's quite spiffy. It gives you file versioning. It archives in standard zip format. Your backups could be used as virtual machines. It has zero overhead (no new schedulers and such). It does imaging/bare-metal restore and file backup/restore.

What would another backup program provide that Windows Backup doesn't?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.