Status
Not open for further replies.

porkpiehat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2015
can anyone explain why gwx.exe is trying to run, when Windows has already informed me that my CPU is not supported!!!
see previous thread... Windows 10 - This PC can't run Windows 10...

do I take a chance a go with it, or do I just go through the process of blocking it every time? :confused:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Maybe because late last week Windows re-issued KB3035583 again, did that update maybe get installed.

Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

Uninstall KB3035583 and modify Windows Update settings to manual installation.

When you will be offered this update, hide it to avoid that it install again.

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

can anyone explain why gwx.exe is trying to run, when Windows has already informed me that my CPU is not supported!!!
see previous thread... Windows 10 - This PC can't run Windows 10...

do I take a chance a go with it, or do I just go through the process of blocking it every time? :confused:

It's because Windows 10 Update (GWX.exe) is a down-low, dirty rotten shame of a mess.

I am not sure at all about the technical cause(s), but the only way I have found to block W10 Upgrade is to clean install Windows, disable Windows Updates in the Windows Media Creation Tool, and then selectively block (Hide) all the Telemetry and W10 associated KBs during the very first manual update. I also configure Windows Update to download but let me decide to install.

The clean install has one benefit other than blocking W10 Update... it gives me fresh platform to test more security softs... :D

Reactions: porkpiehat

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Uninstall offending KB update. Reboot.

Change your Windows Update settings, then check back in a few weeks or month (for a surprise!):
upload_2015-10-12_14-42-48.png upload_2015-10-12_14-42-10.png

Tip: Remember to keep tabs on new updates and install those you want.

Last edited:
S

Smith83

Want to remove it easily....

Get the Everything Search Engine
Type GWX into search window.
Then Click Edit.
Right Click Highlighted items, then select delete.

If there is something GWX related that will not delete.....

Type GWX into search window.
Then Click Edit.
Select all.
Right Click >>>>>>>> Copy full name to clipboard.
Open Notepad >>>>>>> Paste to notepad.
Name the file Fixlist
Save to your desktop.
Download and save FRST 64bit or FRST 32 bit to your Desktop.
CLICK HERE to determine whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit for Windows.
Right click FRST or FRST64 Run as Admin.
Click the fix button.
Reboot if needed.....

Also open add remove programs.
View Installed Updates.
Remove these from your machine.
Windows 10 Worst Features Installed 'Again' On Windows 7 And Windows 8

Use this tool to manage your update options, hide these updates from bothering you again.
This Free App Gives You Full Control over Microsoft's Windows Updates

Also you will have orphan reg loading points after removing gwx.... take care of that with autoruns under the task scheduler tab. Delete the entries then reboot.
Autoruns for Windows

Reactions: porkpiehat
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.