Advice Request Hacked or Paranoia?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Occasionally you will read posts regarding getting hacked, or a hacker in my phone, they are watching me etc. The poster is convinced they are constantly getting "hacked", settings are changing, receiving auth codes, apps wanting x, y, z permissions, router blocking IPs... the list goes on.

Are these real, or a health condition?

I assist such people sometimes (albeit not as often as others in this forum). These are my conclusions by now:

Many of these people weren't taken seriously with legitimate concerns. The result is that they don't trust anyone (because why should they). That's why they question even experts on their assessment. Imagine you go to the doctor, you know you have serious pain, but they always dismiss you and tell you everything is alright. Of course you question their assessment, you know something IS wrong. It's a natural consequence.

While paranoia can be a health issue, e.g., due to schizophrenia, this is nothing we as onlookers can diagnose. So it is not really relevant for us to discuss. Whether someone has health issues or not, you should treat them with the same respect. I have mental health issues myself. I tell you this to make this a more legitmate thing to say. Many people have mental health problems and don't dare to tell anyone because of the false assumptions and the stigma around it.

In many cases paranoia is not a mental health symptom but a legitimate concern. E.g. the Stalkerware initiative by Eva Galperin is something we are involved in at GData. Some people use stalkerware to obsessively control others. Some people have had such abusive relationships in the past or are still involved in them. They have legitimate concerns that their devices are not to be trusted. The behaviour of stalkers can be so bizarre and strange that it is hard to believe for an outsider that it really happened. That in turn can result in people and police not taking the victims seriously. In turn those who get stalked won't trust anyone, if they got dismissed so often.

The correct response is taking people seriously with their concerns. That is not the same as believing their conclusion that they got hacked or their system is infected. But you should believe that they experience the symptoms they describe and not be condescending. You ask what is worrying them the most, then explain to them why those things appear that they experience. If you are respectful and take their concerns seriously, people will also more likely trust your assessment.

If nothing seems to help, and the person is still not trusting you, you can respectfully close the case. You can even say so: "I understand that you are not trusting my advice, which is of course on you decide. But I also think we don't get anywhere right now and you might want to seek help from someone whom you trust more than me."

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Public shaming or laughing against people that think they perhaps are infected, is a real poor and weak way of trying to help. Member @struppigel is spot on when mention the word Trust. Of course people that even actually are infected will think twice before they ask for help, because they seen what happens to other. This is even an issue for people with high knowledge and skill as they are in general afraid say anything just because others will start point fingers and laugh. That type of non adult behavior in itself is of course impossible to get rid off and we all can accidently fall into that trap, but it is recommended to use the report option here on MT if one feel or see others effected. Bullying is very against this forums rules.

Personal I normally avoid rant or talk much at all in public about other sites/forums, but here on MT for those that maybe don't know, it does exist a specific dedicated forum section called the Malware Removal Help & Support. For Windows related possible infections if noted/seen, one can always kindly try to point and suggest new and even old members towards this part of the forum, because the Windows section even have 3 more then very capable dedicated staff members that help 100% free of charge on their own spare time. For non Windows related possible infections in the other 2 sub-sections, all members are allowed to dig in and help out if one feel the urge and have the time.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.