Hands-on with Windows Core OS (with Surface Hub 2)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So, I was personally very excited to get my hands on the Surface Hub 2 because I was very interested in poking around in the OS. As we've written about in the past, Microsoft is working on a new, modern and universal version of Windows 10 called Windows Core OS, which will run on all kinds of devices, including Andromeda, HoloLens, and of course, the Surface Hub 2X. The version of Windows Core OS that runs on Surface Hub 2X is known as Aruba, or Hub OS, and features an experience tailored to the large, collaborative display form-factor.

This is the first time Microsoft has let press play around with a version of Windows Core OS, but the company still isn't ready to talk officially about what Windows Core OS is all about. Still, I had a brief few minutes to tap around the OS to see if I could find anything interesting. Microsoft was watching over my shoulder closely, however, so I couldn't dive in too much without someone telling me "NO!"
I could tell that the shell is CShell based, which is rocking the new, updated, and simplified System Tray design. The clock in the bottom right now only shows the time, omitting the date which makes the whole thing look much cleaner. It also featured Control Center, which something I wrote about back in 2017. Control Center looks very different in today's builds of Windows Core OS compared to what was leaked back in 2017, featuring Acrylic Blur effects and access to quick actions, a brightness slider, and more.
More at Hands-on with the slick new Surface Hub 2 and Windows Core OS
Microsoft also showed off multi-user support, which I believe is a Windows Core OS specific thing. This allows multiple users to be logged into the same desktop at the same time, allowing documents and files to be shared across apps from two separate accounts. This is the evolution of the "family desktop" idea that was originally put forward with Home Hub, now being used on Surface Hub 2X.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.