YashSingh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Only Hard Disk Problem mentioned in detail
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I have tried running SFCFix.exe but nothing happened.
Hi Guys, I am in severe need of your help. First of all I will tell you my problem.

There is hard disk problem. Whenever I start my computer, I get the following message (on a black screen) before 'Starting Windows' logo.:-
"The following are warnings that were detected during this boot.<next line> These can be viewed in setup on the Event log on the Event Log Page. <next line> WARNING : A problem with the hard drive has been detected."
Boot Image.jpg

After successful booting of the computer, a message comes showing "Windows detected hard disk problem. Backup your files immediately to prevent info. loss. showing two options:- Start backup process and ask me again later showing no third option."
hard disk problem.PNG

Then I tried running 'sfc /scannow' command in elevated command prompt, which shows
"Windows Resource Protection found some corrupt file but was unable to fix them. Details are included in CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log"
I ran sfc /scannow in safe mode too but it still showed the same response.
sfc scannow problem.PNG

Then i tried running 'dism /online /cleanup-image' and 'dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded' and 'dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth' and also 'dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth' but all showed the Error 87 and 'checkhealth or restorehealth option is not recognised in this context.'
dism restore health.PNG
dism restore health.PNG

I also ran antivirus program but found some malware that got cleared or cleaned.

I also ran Windows Startup Repair which showed'Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically'
Startup Repair.PNG

I also ran chkdsk for all drives showing 0KB bad sectors.

My computer and hard disk are 5-6 years old.

My Computer Specifications are :-
Windows 7 64-bit Operating System
RAM:- 4.00 GB
Processor:- Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07 GHz

There is no such sign of any noise from CPU, or computer freezing or the blue screen of death coming up. Please tell me if this message in false or no. Please tell me if i need to format my C: Drive. Please answer all of my questions with your expertise.
I have tried very much. Please help me. Please guide me what to do.

Thanks for help in advance.

Yash Singh

Attachments

• sfc scannow problem.PNG
    sfc scannow problem.PNG
    73.3 KB · Views: 804
Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Upvote 0

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Upvote 0

YashSingh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
Try scanning the drive with HDD Regenerator with bootable regenerating CD/DVD or flash drive. If you have any bads on your disk you will be saved by this software. I used this software with great success before.

It is paid and quite expensive. I will see other thing.
Thanks for your help.

It sounds, that SMART has detected, that your HDD has too many bad sectors and let you know, that you should backup your files and buy a new one.

You can use this tool - Download - to check SMART and some basic info.

You can also try this one - Check Hard Disk for Bad Sectors | Scan Disk on Windows

Is not it paid?

I will check. Thanks for your help.

So what should I do?? Can you tell me.
I think that it is the lifetime of physical hdd. In my experience, hdd can be used for about 5 years on average. Frozen or blue screens do not appear and there are cases where you notice problems due to the loss of random files.

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
I think that it is the lifetime of physical hdd. In my experience, hdd can be used for about 5 years on average. Frozen or blue screens do not appear and there are cases where you notice problems due to the loss of random files.
That is relative. My Samsung HDD has 11 years and it is still working good. In 2007 i bought my laptop.

Upvote 0

YashSingh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
It sounds, that SMART has detected, that your HDD has too many bad sectors and let you know, that you should backup your files and buy a new one.

You can use this tool - Download - to check SMART and some basic info.

You can also try this one - Check Hard Disk for Bad Sectors | Scan Disk on Windows

Is not it paid?

Hi, I have used both of your suggested softwares and found the following:

Macrokit Disk Scanner but found no problem.
Macrokit.PNG

But when I ran CrystalDiskInfo I think I found my problem.
CrystalDiskInfo 1.PNG

Please tell me what I shall do. PLease Help Me.
Thanks in advance.

Yash Singh

Upvote 0

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I had something similar to this on my computer about 2 years ago maybe but was (and still am) too inexperienced to know how to deal with it so what does any idiot like me do ? I ignored it :D in the hope it would go away and it did, my laptop is still ok, had the occasional BSOD but i ignore them too, all my important stuff is backed up anyway so for the age of my laptop i wouldn't be too surprised if it just died one day anyway as i have never given it any love or maintenance. I have heard lots of people who swear that this programme has saved them a few times from a failing drive Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring and it sometimes comes along as a freebie download which doesn't help you right now i guess but i used this and it reported no problems at all with any of my drives. Personally i would just ignore it but please do back up your important files etc just in case, you sound more clued up than me though so hopefully someone can advise you. Good Luck (y)

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: Reallocated Sectors Count | Knowledge Base

Please tell me what I shall do.
That is a bit difficult to say, it depends, how fast is HDD dying, it can take years or it can fail tomorrow. As long as you have backups, you can keep using it, but expect it to fail and maybe even damage data. The best solution would be to buy a new HDD, considering, how much you torture this one: high temperature, too many power on counts (HDD does not like, when it is starting/stopping, turning it off during sleep counts as well).

Upvote 0

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
I am not an expert but I believe the first thing you should do is to save your personal files if it is possible, before it is too late.
Then, maybe a low-level formatting may help if the problem of your HDD is not physical, otherwise I think a replacement is the solution.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
So what should I do?? Can you tell me.
As explained by @TairikuOkami , advice on troubles of hardware that can not grasp the age of use, environment, etc. is only inference.
I will assume that I am in your position. Make a backup of the disk using Macrium Reflect, restore the system from backup after formatting hdd. Finally, run sfc / scan and finish. I think that it will be settled with this as long as your luck is good, but I will also promote new purchase of hdd in terms of mental hygiene.:unsure:

That is relative. My Samsung HDD has 11 years and it is still working good. In 2007 i bought my laptop.
Agree. Avoiding turning the power on and off always hdd can withstand long-term use. I completely turned off the power supply several times a day.;)

Upvote 0

YashSingh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
I am not an expert but I believe the first thing you should do is to save your personal files if it is possible, before it is too late.
Then, maybe a low-level formatting may help if the problem of your HDD is not physical, otherwise I think a replacement is the solution.

I formatted my C Drive but the same problem continues.
Thanks for help.

Yash Singh

Upvote 0

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Hi, I have used both of your suggested softwares and found the following:

Macrokit Disk Scanner but found no problem.
View attachment 198737
View attachment 198736
Please tell me what I shall do. PLease Help Me.
Thanks in advance.

Yash Singh
no no no no....you are terribly wrong..... IMMEDIATELY BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA....the threshold is 36 and your value is 2. So it is WAYYYY BEYOND the threshold.....the value doesn't start at 0...it starts at 100 and decreases...yours went from 100 to 2 with 36 being the threshold. Please change your hard disk immediately. If you place your mouse over the bad red status button you will see the actual number of reallocated sectors

HDD.JPG

Upvote 0

YashSingh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
no no no no....you are terribly wrong..... IMMEDIATELY BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA....the threshold is 36 and your value is 2. So it is WAYYYY BEYOND the threshold.....the value doesn't start at 0...it starts at 100 and decreases...yours went from 100 to 2 with 36 being the threshold. Please change your hard disk immediately. If you place your mouse over the bad red status button you will see the actual number of reallocated sectors
Do you think that is the only way. Can we use external hard disk as internal one?? If yes, then please tell how. Also I would trouble you for best hard disk of USB 2.0 because I have USB 2.0 port installed.

Thanks for help
Yash Singh

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Do you think that is the only way. Can we use external hard disk as internal one?? If yes, then please tell how. Also I would trouble you for best hard disk of USB 2.0 because I have USB 2.0 port installed.

Thanks for help
Yash Singh
you can use your external as an internal one but that would mean removing the casing and voiding your warranty. The best action would be to backup all your important files in the external hdd. Is the defective drive under the warranty period? If yes then you could RMA the defective one and you will get a new or a refurbished one for free.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.