Troubleshoot Hard Drive Wont boot

gantrix

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2013
Okay this is what happen My friend got me to install Linux on my laptop and told me to wipe drive he said it would be easy to reinstall windows later. So after a few months of Linux my sister's husband needed a computer for his school so I decided to switch it back to Windows 10 for him to use because I have a desktop as my main so didn't mind letting him have the laptop. I installed windows 10 flawlessly updated it put security software along with a few engineering programs he wanted was running smoothly gave it to him. Get a call about week later saying it wont boot he said it work very good but now it wont. So he gave it back to me and I tried what i did before but windows cant repair it or install. i have tried system recovery but since it was wiped the image is no longer there. I then tried one or two partition recovery software's on it. it said it recovered the partitions but windows still wont install it. So after many attempts and videos and article etc to attempt to fix i am out of luck so thought I post here to see if any can help. When it comes to the actual computer meaning boot up into windows i can fix about anything but when it cant boot or partion lost etc i kinda a newbie at it.

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am downloading windows 10 again to try it in legacy if that dosent work i am gonna try the grub thing
You can do both in one shot. Before actually installing Windows, you will have an option to reset the MBR. Do that, it goes quick, and then proceed to reinstall Windows. That will give you the highest chances of success.

Upvote 0

gantrix

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2013
You can do both in one shot. Before actually installing Windows, you will have an option to reset the MBR. Do that, it goes quick, and then proceed to reinstall Windows. That will give you the highest chances of success.
Okay did that i reformatted the hard drive convert it gpt and now windows is installing lets see if that was the issue if it was i feel like such a newbie.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Okay did that i reformatted the hard drive convert it gpt and now windows is installing lets see if that was the issue if it was i feel like such a newbie.
I think it was kind of unexpected that the grub boot loader would come back from the dead...

Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

gantrix

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2013
Thanks all reformatting it and converting it to Gpt seem to work i am able to boot into windows update etc but i will keep checking it.

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks all reformatting it and converting it to Gpt seem to work i am able to boot into windows update etc but i will keep checking it.
Thanks for the update, I hope all continues to be well.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.