Sep 3, 2018
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Kaspersky Total Security 2020 beta (Interactive Mode + UnTrust Digitally Signed Apps + PUP/PUA/Adware On + Unknown Apps in Low Restrict + Strong Application Control Settings), SandBoxie (Licenced)
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
ZAM, HitMan Pro, Norton Power Eraser, MBAM Free, AdwCleaner, EEK
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Mozilla FireFox Quantum (main), TOR, Chrome, Edge

Mozilla FireFox Add-ons: Kaspersky Protection, Kee, S3.Google Translator
Maintenance tools
Free, Wise Care 365, Registrar Registry Manager, WhoCrashed, WireLess NetWork Watcher, TMAC, GPG4Win, VeraCrypt, QTBar
File and Photo backup
SyncBack Free
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Where is the overkill? I only have 1 real-time security solution running ;)

About on demand scanners, maybe a bit, but every scanner has its own difference and engines, and I keep them all to get the wider number of engines detections :)

TAM is disabled ;) only enabled in VM for testing malware ;)

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
TR is the same as the final that will be released in a few months, but Kaspersky always run the official release with at least 1 patch (A), to iron some issues... probably soon will start a beta testing for the 1st patch (as always), meanwhile is quite stable here in several systems...

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Where is the overkill? I only have 1 real-time security solution running ;)

About on demand scanners, maybe a bit, but every scanner has its own difference and engines, and I keep them all to get the wider number of engines detections :)

TAM is disabled ;) only enabled in VM for testing malware ;)

Your custom settings for KTS, in general. They caused me problems until I tweaked them up a bit to my preference. And using way too many extensions can cause the web browser to slow down considerably.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I haven't publish "all" of my custom settings ;)

Anyway, as always, it may depends on the system and hardware specs...

My system is not new (AMD Athlon II X3 450 @ 3,20Ghz 8GB RAM) but I have 3 hard disks, 2 of them are SSDs (Samsung 850 Pro for Windows system + Crucial MX300 for testing virtual machines) which improves considerably the respond of the system :)

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I haven't publish "all" of my custom settings ;)

Anyway, as always, it may depends on the system and hardware specs...

My system is not new (AMD Athlon II X3 450 @ 3,20Ghz 8GB RAM) but I have 3 hard disks, 2 of them are SSDs (Samsung 850 Pro for Windows system + Crucial MX300 for testing virtual machines) which improves considerably the respond of the system :)

Even the ones you posted in your configuration are enough to cause problems.

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Even the ones you posted in your configuration are enough to cause problems.
Probably lead to moving manually sometimes some applications from untrusted group to trusted, but I'm not installing every day new or unknown applications... so, even though I like this way, it's me who decide which applications will be run in trusted :)

About browser slowdown, I'm not personally worried, to visit some forums, watch sometimes some videos and check some news sites, I don't need actually much speed (Fiber Optic 50MB/50MB network connection), also my FFQ for now responds quite fast :)

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Probably lead to moving manually sometimes some applications from untrusted group to trusted, but I'm not installing every day new or unknown applications... so, even though I like this way, it's me who decide which applications will be run in trusted :)

About browser slowdown, I'm not personally worried, to visit some forums, watch sometimes some videos and check some news sites, I don't need actually much speed (Fiber Optic 50MB/50MB network connection), also my FFQ for now responds quite fast :)

One of the worst aspect of Kaspersky is its poor application control module which continues to put legitimate and well-known stuff (with digitally signed signatures) into restricted mode. You can't install with Kaspersky running and it will interfere with the install process and make it messy. Same goes for the uninstall. It even does that to the Microsoft files as well. That was a big turn-off for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
One of the worst aspect of Kaspersky is its poor application control module which continues to put legitimate and well-known stuff (with digitally signed signatures) into restricted mode. You can't install with Kaspersky running and it will interfere with the install process and make it messy. Same goes for the uninstall. That was a big turn-off for me.
i seriously can't tell if you're talking about TAM or Application control. TAM can do this, Application Control however never does it.

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In general I don't get that issue, unless I install a new or unknown application on my system, but as I said sometimes if You are offline, and access to KSN, You may get this behaviour, or unless there are some temporal issues to connect to KSN...

Reactions: Parsh and frogboy

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
In general I don't get that issue, unless I install a new or unknown application on my system, but as I said sometimes if You are offline, and access to KSN, You may get this behaviour, or unless there are some temporal issues to connect to KSN...

Happens online. Their application control module is flawed. It even puts the genuine Microsoft processes into the restricted mode. For example, on my system it was unable to recognize "tiworker.exe" file. What do you have to say about this?

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.