Has anyone had Windows Store Malware?

Have you encountered Windows Store Apps malware?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • No

Votes: 40 93.0%
  • No, but I know someone who has

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Mondragon

Thread author
Feb 26, 2017
Was wondering if anyone had any experience with malware or adware which was in any Windows Store Apps on Windows 8 and up? If yes, please elaborate as a reply.

Note, I do not consider it adware when you agree to display ads.

Moderators, if this is not the correct place for this post, I apologize and please move. Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is a fact for any App store on Windows, Linux, iOS and Android - there will always be people trying to Con people out with Fake Apps and Scams.

Windows Store apps are based on UWP (Universal Windows Platform) and is cross-platform with the Phone and Xbox platforms. Unlike traditional Win32 apps, UWP enforces the use of sandboxing, similar to that of iOS and Android apps, therefore far more secure. Sandboxing ensure that Apps don't get access to resources there are not supposed to access and granular Permission controls seen in existing iOS and Android can prevent an Apps, for example, accessing your Calendar.

Now I cannot go into detail, but you can learn more about Windows Store: Publish Windows apps - Windows app development

Remember there have been reports of malware on the Google Play Store and App Store (Apple), so it's inevitable that maybe one day it may crop up, but for now stay wary of dodgy looking apps. Microsoft has a vetting process and security in-place with SmartScreen to help keep you safe.

Source: http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...oft-uwp-boosts-security-for-windows-apps.html and Google.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Infected and even lost money from it a few years ago but because my bank was good enough the attack was stopped very fast.

The basics for checking apps applies also on Windows store. Reviews, permissions, updates etc. For example a weather app don't need full access to phone, sms, contacts, photos, videos etc. I tend to use apps with as little permissions as possible.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Infected and even lost money from it a few years ago but because my bank was good enough the attack was stopped very fast.

The basics for checking apps applies also on Windows store. Reviews, permissions, updates etc. For example a weather app don't need full access to phone, sms, contacts, photos, videos etc. I tend to use apps with as little permissions as possible.
Was this malicious app from the WINDOWS store? What is the exact source you downloaded it from?
A few years ago, the Windows store was still young, it didn't have many apps.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This happend on the Windows store but with my Windows Phone. The exact source was never found as the only one I shared my credit card details with/on was Netflix official app but I always suspected another Movie app that worked a bit too smooth and the attack happened very fast after it was installed. I can't recall what permissions it had or the name but I do recall I reported it and it was removed.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This happend on the Windows store but with my Windows Phone. The exact source was never found as the only one I shared my credit card details with/on was Netflix official app but I always suspected another Movie app that worked a bit too smooth and the attack happened very fast after it was installed. I can't recall what permissions it had or the name but I do recall I reported it and it was removed.
Thanks for the details. I am glad your bank was cooperative.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.