Advice Request Has anyone heard of Adaware Protect?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I have just come across this new product from Adaware
It's currently in beta, but it looks like it has several nice features and it's free
Immagine.jpg

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
It's currently in beta, but it looks like it has several nice features and it's free
View attachment 250440
Might be a rehash of Adaware antivirus, which was using bitdefender sigs ?

Wouldn`t be surprised if it`s now using Avira sigs as all these alternative av`s seem to be using them these days.

Good find(y) I`ll give it a try out when ever I get some time ?

Regards Eck:)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just installed it. Adware Protect's main feature, is that blocks access to malicious websites from all apps. I have no idea how good it is at this though. Within Adware Protect, you can view a list of apps that have recently accessed the web as well as what domains they have accessed. Everything gets classified as Safe, Unknown or Malicious.

Adware Protect also includes protection against unwanted access to your PC's webcam and microphone. I have not tested this.

It adds an annoying toolbar to the top of the screen, with a Private Search function and access to the all of its features. Private Search does a search at privado.com, in your default browser.
I don't like having screen real estate permanently occupied, but fortunately you can close the toolbar. It still runs in the background and can be opened again from its system tray icon.
AP 1.pngAP 2.png
AP 3.png

Those are the main features. There are other options that install extra software, or open it if already installed. For example, Threat Detection, gives you the option to install their antivirus. Also, there is ad blocking, which is a browser extension, as well as a junk cleaner and driver updater you can install. While a few years ago, Lulu Utilities, which is associated with Adaware, published their own driver update software, Fixio Driver Finder, Adaware Driver Updater, like many other driver update tools is just a rebranded version of Smart Driver Manager/Smart Driver Updater. Both the driver updater and junk cleaner are paid software. If you really want to update drivers, I recommend DriverHub, it's better than what Adaware is providing and it's free.

Adaware Safe Browser is a fork of Chromium 83.0.4103.116, which is using Privado as its search and engine and also as the default home page. Other than the change in search engine, I have no idea what else has changed. I'd recommend using Chrome, or a more up to date Chromium fork, instead of this, as v83.0.4103.116 of Chrome itself, was released six months ago.

I installed Adaware Antivirus too and it's still using Bitdefender signatures. It's not a product I recommend, as it has been receiving very infrequent programs updates. They have not even posted anything on their blog since early 2017.

Edit: I just added screenshots, which I forget to add initially.

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I just installed it. Adware Protect's main feature, is that blocks access to malicious websites from all apps. I have no idea how good it is at this though. Within Adware Protect, you can view a list of apps that have recently accessed the web as well as what domains they have accessed. Everything gets classified as Safe, Unknown or Malicious.
This is good, if I'm not wrong adaware webcompanion was quite good at detecting malicious URLs, maybe this is a new version of it

It adds an annoying toolbar to the top of the screen, with a Private Search function and access to the all of its features. Private Search does a search at privado.com, in your default browser.
About this, yes, I agree that it's annoying... It would be nice to understand whether it comes as a stand-alone component or related to the safe browser.
If the latter, you can just deselect safe browser during the installation and you won't get the toolbar too.

By the way, thanks everybody for the feedback, I'll try to find some time to try it myself :)

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Ok, I have tried it.
Safe browser can't be deselected upon installation, but you can uninstall it after. Nevertheless, the toolbar will stay there because it actually is Adaware Protect.
Web protection is useless, I checked some phishtank websites, but it hasn't detected any.
PC cleaner and Driver manager are add-ons to be installed separately.
Basically, they did like Avira with their Free Security, a launcher for the antivirus and other tools.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
AdAware (previously Lavasoft) has been in the game for a long time, but failed to hit the mainstream. This product will be no different.

"several nice features"

Most are bloatware and forces you to use their own custom services, nothing nice about these:
- Private Search
- Safe Browser
- Ad Blocker
- Driver Manager
- PC Cleaner

UltraSecurity20

Dec 5, 2020
View attachment 250440
It was once the best around 99-2002 as adware emerged and no other companies were focusing on it yet. Now with the Titan security vendors I wouldn't be holding my breathe that it can compete when it has been so far behind for so many years go with something proven.

Don't use Wise vector as I found it had files in almost every folder even removable drives. I would bet a dollar to a dime it spies heavy. Who would use an antivirus from China? no one I hope

• HaHa
Reactions: roger_m

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Only memory I have of Lavasoft (Adaware) products is that they were a nightmare to remove; leaving files, folders and registry entries all over the place... no thanks!

Last edited:

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
adaware is an old pc security product. had it installed way back, guess 10 years ago. back then it was a spyware/adware/fake av removal security product. then i read somewhere it was acting like scareware and people got rid of it very fast until they bought and used bitdefender`s av engine, i guess 3-4 years ago. last i saw a review about it, reviewers were saying it was sluggish, took a whole lot of ram and was heavy on the cpu as well.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Off-Topic posts removed.

OP started this thread about AdAware Protect, not WiseVector. Please create your own threads for discussions of other software. Thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.