Advice Request Has anyone heard of Glasswire Firewall?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Glasswire Firewall

• Safe but bad

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Safe and good

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Bad but safe

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Unsafe

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FixxeS

Jan 22, 2016
I was the guy that voted GW as "unsafe". the thing is... GW is not what you guys are thinking it is... in fact, you have no idea of what is glasswire... glasswire is not a firewall... Glasswire stands for a internet monitoring and control application. this is the answer I got when I asked why I was having the exact same protection WITH or WITHOUT glasswire:

"GlassWIre uses the Windows Firewall API so it stays as light as possible. It's true, we are more of a network security monitor than a firewall but when we talk about GlassWire we often use the word "Firewall" because network security monitor is not something most people understand easily."

reading that, you would be as safe as you are with glasswire installed. the only reason I would use GW would be the fact of it's information, but the tab it has to block applications lacks in so much information... the usage tab is fine, but all the other tabs are somewhat useless. right now I am betting more on a 360TS + windows firewall control 4 than glasswire... at least WFC4 is more complete, not BETA... another better option than GW is tinywall... but I am talking about windows firewall managers. if you want a REAL firewall, just go for comodo, avast, avg or other... GW will never protect yu against anything.

Yes, I have used it in the past myself. It is very good for monitoring outbound connections, as you can actually see what IP your programs are connecting to - not just which programs but also where. If you buy the paid version it is a lifetime license and unlocks "block and notify" along with a few other features. Block and notify blocks a new connection attempt if the program attempting to connect doesn't have a rule yet, until you acknowledge the notification and say allow (or block).

GlassWire is supposed to be able to detect ARP spoofing but in my tests it did NOT detect my ARP spoof attacks. Other than that I find it very useful, just don't rely on it to detect ARP spoof or MiTM attacks.

in the case of Shran, that failure you experienced, is a failure from windows firewall and not GW. as I said, GW is not a firewall, it's a windows firewall manager, and that failure will remain there having GW installed or not.

FixxeS

Jan 22, 2016
Glasswire is OK. It is basic. It allows user to block outbound connections - which is more user-friendly than blocking them via Windows Firewall.

To me, seems emphasis is on pretty graphics... and all those graphics consume memory. Although, I will admit, Glasswire resource usage is quite low compared to most other security related softs.

If they added a few additional features then it would be much better.

Plus, the paid version is very expensive for what you actually get.
well, I need to tell you that GW is not even a firewall, it's a firewall manager, and as firewall manager is not monitoring you connection... windows firewall is monitoring the connection and GW is only consuming resources and your internet bandwich for a thing that most users don't even know what is... and if you are worried about making it easy to manage firewall settings, you can always install tinywall for that...

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
well, I need to tell you that GW is not even a firewall, it's a firewall manager, and as firewall manager is not monitoring you connection... windows firewall is monitoring the connection and GW is only consuming resources and your internet bandwich for a thing that most users don't even know what is... and if you are worried about making it easy to manage firewall settings, you can always install tinywall for that...
What 'firewall' would you recommend?

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
H

hjlbx

Thread author

Yes. It is simply a GUI for Windows Firewall.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Comodo or Binisoft are both good windows firewall options! Binisoft is like GW on steroids and has all the options and firewall control that GW doesn't. It's a true WFW controller GUI vs a "network monitor" Comodo is harder to use IMO with all its crazy options etc... Taken me weeks to get all of its options down. Though I'm a novice with CIS, but I love it after figuring it out :p
Binisoft on the other hand is pretty easy to understand and a good option for Windows Firewall Control.
slide3.png

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its good and safe, I've currently using the free version where all of information on the connections are shown properly and comprehensive.

The graphics is slick enough to make user convince on installing in the system.

Other useful features are on paid license although very expensive where you can get other alternative.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

There are a number of firewalls for Windows, but there is unlike anything like Glasswire for Free. It's an advanced network and bandwidth monitoring software showing you a host of network usage reports with a simple but extremely easy to use firewall. You don't have to create rules for blocking connections, it simply does it by clicking a button. When most users don't know how to control or use the advanced features of a firewall, why wouldn't they want to know whats happening with their PC online.

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It's a nice expensive graphical toy.....not more....
Why Qihoo it as a tool offers, I honestly do not understand....
Qihoo and Windows FW is sufficient in my opinion.
if someone is really looking for a good firewall, then I would suggest Comodo or SpyShelter....

jAcos

Level 2
Verified
Aug 9, 2016
Good discussion! tnx! Can I ask if I can use GlassWire with TinyWall? Can be? Please help :)

R

Ray Redbad

Thread author
When the Windows firewall is on, Glasswire will let you block an application.

When the Windows firewall is off, Glasswire won't let you block an application.

Glasswire doesn't affect in any way or care about whatever other firewall you might be running. The other firewall is the one you will be blocking with and must be blocking with if Windows' is on.

The free will evoke a notification of an application's first connect out. You must then find the application under the firewall tab and block it manually if that is your plan. This is reactive. At any time you can block or un-block any application at will.

The paid version will popup an alert for allow or block for the first time any application that connects out. This is pro-active. At any time you can block or un-block any application at will as well as set to Ask to Connect.

Windows Firewall or another or both, there is so much more to Glasswire in its real-time monitoring and history of network and application activity and security.

Their Web site is loaded with details (free vs paid, etc.) and screen shots. And do a search on Glasswire in Google Images.

Additional layers of protection are available in Settings:
GlasswireSecurity.jpg

And for free (and paid) you can't beat this kind of logging:
GlasswireSecLog.jpg

I've been using one paid and three free on four systems for almost two years, two 7 and two 10, two with Bitdefender Internet Security, one with Zone Alarm Free w/o AV & BD Free, one just Windows Firewall & Defender.

No slowdowns, no crashes, no issues. There is so much to Glasswire, I can't imagine computing without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ray Redbad

Thread author
Well, to save my life, edit won't let me add this to my post above.
GlasswireTrayMenu.jpg

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
it's looks awesome. and i notice its available at steam Save 50% on GlassWire Pro on Steam
i think it's cheaper to get from steam, cuz the region prices. Anyway just saw 50% off for Pro and Elite.
;) well, i'm stick with the free version for now.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I've had no problems with Glasswire till now, when it started using the internet for no reason and it's not even been shown in the Firewall menu. It consumes my bandwidth in full and yet Glasswire firewall or even any other Firewall does not detect it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
GlassWire with TinyWall..? redundant is? anyone please...?

Not at all, Tinywall focuses on full blown firewall module while Glasswire components are more on network monitor with manual firewall.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I tried Glasswire Free last year for a couple of weeks when I was looking for a network usage monitor and it worked just fine for that.

I thought it was a bit heavy on resource usage but there were other factors that made me abandon it .
It uses an internal local host proxy , and I'm not comfortable with all my internet traffic passing through it.
( Also installs it's own certificate in the certificate store ) .

It's not for me really , but nice app otherwise .

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.