Has Windows 10 already started preloading on your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Hi,

That's nice to hear. I tried Microsoft support but they said me what I have said above, and then they asked me to speak with another Microsoft tech via live chat and remote assistance to check the generic licence thing and the second tech told me the same thing "this isn't normal, upgrading should generate a new key, you need to format again to W8.1 and repeat the hole upgrade process again".

But now I have a question about what they have said to you. My licence was a 8.1 pro retail, that means I can change my hardware or device, it isn't oem... But this way, if it's registered by hardware ID, a retail licence is basically an oem licence, right? :(
This generic lic & unique lic confusion is really worrying me. I too have the generic lic. After a month you cannot install your previous OS to upgrade to Win 10 & then you would loose your system i.e no previous OS & no Win 10.

About your retail lic. Yours was a retail licence & got generic lic with Win 10?
Coz if I remember correctly I have read in Microsoft forum or Win 10 faq that retail OS to Win 10 will work retail i.e you can install on other system, etc...
Try to find the info in Microsoft forum & Win 10 faq.
I too will try to find the info I have mentioned.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Hi,

That's nice to hear. I tried Microsoft support but they said me what I have said above, and then they asked me to speak with another Microsoft tech via live chat and remote assistance to check the generic licence thing and the second tech told me the same thing "this isn't normal, upgrading should generate a new key, you need to format again to W8.1 and repeat the hole upgrade process again".

But now I have a question about what they have said to you. My licence was a 8.1 pro retail, that means I can change my hardware or device, it isn't oem... But this way, if it's registered by hardware ID, a retail licence is basically an oem licence, right? :(
If you have a retail license for Windows 8.1 Pro then you should have a retail license for Windows 10 Pro and it should not be tied to that PC.I have a different license than those posted in this thread after the upgrade.That was Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center.I have not checked on my OEM licensed work laptop yet or another dual booted machine.When I do I will post the result.

D

Deleted member 2913

MTUser,

I found this---
"
When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices".
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Reactions: frogboy

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
So confusing, I just upgraded my second pc, my laptop and now both of mine show the generic license and both are retail versions? This is truly a cluster****

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
MS has decided not to issue new keys for upgrades.

So upgraded activation license is now tied to hardware (say motherboard). So if you upgraded using a retail key then you'll have to call MS and ask them to transfer key when you change/upgrade your computer hardware.

When asked for, "In how many systems are you using the key", remember to answer 1.

Last edited:

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
What's the correct way to find out the Windows 10 key?

Some programs report the generic key, others report another. That's where it gets more frustrating.

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
MS has decided not to issue new keys for upgrades.

So upgraded activation license is now tied to hardware (say motherboard). So if you upgraded using a retail key then you'll have to call MS and ask them to transfer key when you change/upgrade your computer hardware.

When asked for, "In how many systems are you using the key", remember to answer 1.

I don't see this working. Their techs are horrible and many of them don't know how this new licence system works lol.

But let's hope you are right.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Ok guys, so I have got the lowdown regarding that key issue (after talking to a Microsoft support representative):

As far as my case is concerned (Win 7 HP OEM license), there is no Windows 10 key needed (and it won't generate one). Whenever, I want to do a clean install again in the future, I'll just have to skip the key box during Windows installation (happens twice), and when it's all complete, Windows will already be activated.

Thanks @MTUser for your help with the link for Microsoft support chat!

Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Whenever, I want to do a clean install again in the future, I'll just have to skip the key box during Windows installation (happens twice), and when it's all complete, Windows will already be activated.
How would it know the key?

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
It's linked to your hardware. Read the above messages regarding that.
So the installer will check if an upgrade was performed on that machine? Do you want to say that the installer checks the generic key and if it was used on that machine, then it activates it?
So if a user of a notebook called X got an upgrade, then all other users of it will get a free Windows 10?

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
So the installer will check if an upgrade was performed on that machine? Do you want to say that the installer checks the generic key and if it was used on that machine, then it activates it?
So if a user of a notebook called X got an upgrade, then all other users of it will get a free Windows 10?

Not like that. I think it works something like this.

First your Windows 7/8 key will be checked if its genuine during the upgrade process and then your MB's hardware id will be tied to your Windows 10 installation.

This is why people who clean installed Windows 10 without upgrading their Windows 7/8 couldn't activate their installation.

So after upgrading to Windows 10 and if you want to change hardware, then you have to call MS and ask them to activate the new hardware id, provided that your Windows 7/8 license was retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.