Heilig Defense RansomOff

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
What do you guys think about ransomOFF release cycle, latest update is from 10 months ago?

Can signatureless software last year without any updates, while keeping up protection against latest ransomware/malware threats?

New release coming soon. Check out the docs to read about the new features.

Definitely interested on new update, but only installing it when new build is available

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Can signatureless software last year without any updates, while keeping up protection against latest ransomware/malware threats?
Yes. Ransomware usually operate the same way. the only things that may change is the malware privileges at the execution stage or how it is dropped.

For example, SRPs barely needs updates because they just block, they don't monitor, they don't prompt, they don't need useless Whitelist or Blacklist that must be maintained on a hourly basis, which is inherently inefficient.
Obsfuscate the malware under serious encryption, your whitelisting/blacklisting efficiency is gone.

HeiDef

From HeiDef
Verified
Developer
Mar 27, 2017
I believe we are at a good point to finally release the update. Haven't posted to the site yet so this is like a pre-release update that hopefully folks that take it for a spin can provide some feedback on while we finish a few other things up.

It's not a complete re-write but we heavily modified the core protection code with the goal to make it more stable and efficient. Obviously also a lot of bug fixes as well along with a few new features like extension filtering.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I got a pretty busy schedule at the moment but, I'll see if I can take a peek sometime this week or upcoming weekend and also run it against a few samples. Others can almost for sure do it much faster.

@HeiDef , I either update here in this thread or send you info in a pm. Thanks for the share. (y)

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
tCLXR4ta_o.jpg

Changelog and download links aren't available but will hopefully get back when RO returns.

Last edited:

HeiDef

From HeiDef
Verified
Developer
Mar 27, 2017
We have "de-listed" RansomOff for the time being while we re-evaluate our strategy with it. As some of you obviously have noticed, there has not been a lot of activity in the past year. That's because we have not been able to dedicate the necessary resources given other priorities and that's not the type of solution we want available. We feel that it's not fair for the users even as a free program. RansomOff has probably also gotten too complex for average users and the increasing number of emails and phone calls asking for support made us decide that until we can fully dedicate resources it is best to take it down. We hope to get RansomOff back at some point but we first need to figure out the best way forward.

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
We have "de-listed" RansomOff for the time being while we re-evaluate our strategy with it. As some of you obviously have noticed, there has not been a lot of activity in the past year. That's because we have not been able to dedicate the necessary resources given other priorities and that's not the type of solution we want available. We feel that it's not fair for the users even as a free program. RansomOff has probably also gotten too complex for average users and the increasing number of emails and phone calls asking for support made us decide that until we can fully dedicate resources it is best to take it down. We hope to get RansomOff back at some point but we first need to figure out the best way forward.​
I think it's gone forever. I hope it's not like WiseVector StopX.:)

• Sad
Reactions: Shadowra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.