Troubleshoot Help buying laptop please? Thanx!

Adela1

Thread author
Jul 18, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Buy a laptop
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Still searching.
Hello, I'm afraid I might've registered in the wrong forum? I'm seeking help in buying a laptop so while here I'll ask my question anyway and hope to get help: :)

Could someone help me with their opinions on buying a laptop (very soon as my present computer is dying?) For many years I've been using Dell desktops and feel comfortable with them, but I need a more manageable computer such as a laptop; however their attached keyboards are too uncomfortable to me for typing as their keys are too flat and joined together and their installed mouse also not too efficient to use.

Perhaps someone here knows of a laptop that has more rised keys and better mouse? It can be of any size as I won't be carrying it around, it's just for home.

Thanks ever so much for any ideas as soon as you can, before my computer gives its last sigh... :-(

Reactions: vtqhtr413

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Your requirements make no sense as you should get a desktop if it's not moving which will be like you want and cheaper. Now you didn't mention a budget either usage so i don't think anyone can help but good luck.
My advice is buy a desktop or you will regret it. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I agree. Your complaints about the keyboard and mouse indicate any laptop would be uncomfortable (and I agree with that). Now consider how your eyes will feel with the small monitor that comes attached to the laptop too, along with the fact you generally have to always look down at a laptop monitor. I know after using a laptop for a couple hours, not only do my wrists hurt and my eyes start to tire, my neck starts killing me too.

With a desktop, you don't have to scrunch your wrists together to type. You can also position the keyboard at the right height for proper posture. And at the same time, have the monitor sitting in front of you so you can look ahead instead of down all the time - also better for posture.

Laptops are for people who need a computer they can pick up and take with them to work, school, or for regular travel.

Now you can always attach an external keyboard, a real mouse and a desktop monitor to a laptop, but if you don't need a mobile computer, then you are just wasting money on the laptop keyboard, mouse and monitor you are not using. Not to mention the expensive laptop battery.

So in my opinion, a desktop is the only way to go. And what's also nice about a desktop PC is next year or the year after, if you decide you want a different keyboard, or bigger monitor, you go buy them, swap them in and you are good to go. You can also easily upgrade your RAM, for example, with a PC. Not so with many laptops.

The only other alternative is something in the middle called an all-in-one like this Dell AiO. These are basically full size (24") monitors with laptop motherboards mounted inside. And they come with a full size keyboard and mouse.

However, they have many of the same limitations as laptops in that upgrade options are limited and if the monitor or motherboard fail 2 years down the road, you typically have to replace the whole thing.

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can buy a normal latop and put some plastic raised footings on the bottom so that the keyboard will be raised at a small angle for easier typing. Otherwise find a laptop that comes with foldable raised footings.

As for a mouse there's either the wired or wireless mouse

Reactions: brambedkar59
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I agree with the other posters, if you are used to a desktop, you will most likely be disappointed with the uncomfortable feel of a laptop. Try out other people's laptops, and see if you find something you like. Friends, relatives, co-workers, strangers, just ask them to let you type for a couple minutes on their machine and see if you like it.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.