Help Identifying and Removing Malware

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
First, go to Control Panel and uninstall following (skip lines that cannot be uninstalled):
- Adobe Reader 9.5.5
- File Type Assistant
- Final Media Player
- Java(TM) 6 Update 17
- Media Buzz
- Media View
- Media Watch
- Muvic Smartbar
- Muvic Smartbar Engine
- Re-markit
- Spybot - Search & Destroy Free Download Packages
- suRfKeepit
- Yahoo! Software Update
- Yahoo! Toolbar

Latest versions of Java and Adobe Reader available here --> http://www.java.com/en/ and here http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
Make sure to uncheck optional offers.

***** NEXT *****

Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 106

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014
First, go to Control Panel and uninstall following (skip lines that cannot be uninstalled):
- Adobe Reader 9.5.5
- File Type Assistant
- Final Media Player
- Java(TM) 6 Update 17
- Media Buzz
- Media View
- Media Watch
- Muvic Smartbar
- Muvic Smartbar Engine
- Re-markit
- Spybot - Search & Destroy Free Download Packages
- suRfKeepit
- Yahoo! Software Update
- Yahoo! Toolbar

Latest versions of Java and Adobe Reader available here --> http://www.java.com/en/ and here http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
Make sure to uncheck optional offers.

***** NEXT *****

Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Ok this is what I got

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    36 KB · Views: 68

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Very good :)

> Re-run zoek with the script below and attach here fresh zoek log results.

Code:
createsrpoint;
emptyfolderscheck;delete
autoclean;
emptyclsid;
emptyalltemp;
ipconfig /flushdns;b

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014
I re

Code:
createsrpoint;
emptyfolderscheck;delete
autoclean;
emptyclsid;
emptyalltemp;
ipconfig /flushdns;b
i reran Zoek. It is still getting stuck on the line I quoted you earlier. :/ I have disabled my antivirus, don't have any browsers open or anything. When I went to remove the two muvic things you asked me to, it let me click on the uninstall button, but took no action. It was as if I had not clicked on it at all. And when I attempted to uninstall yahoo toolbar it looked as if it was doing nothing, but it wouldn't let me attempt to uninstall anything else. It popped up telling me to wait while it uninstalled the current task. But had nothing showing any uninstall status as it normally does.

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014

Code:
createsrpoint;
emptyfolderscheck;delete
autoclean;
emptyclsid;
emptyalltemp;
ipconfig /flushdns;b
Ok so, looking online to see if I could figure out why it wouldn't let me remove the muvic files or my yahoo toolbar, I found a forum that advised my to use Revo Uninstaller. I didn't want to use i until I asked you if You felt it would help. I did download it in case you said to use it. and I also saw something that advised me to use malwarebytes antimalware program for protection against it in the future. I am sorry all of this is taking so much of your time. Thank You so much for being patient with me

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Here is how we're going to do :)

Code:
createsrpoint;
gpt.ini;z 
C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy;v
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GroupPolicy;v 
StandardSearch; 
emptyfolderscheck; 
installer-list; 
installedprogs; 
uninstall-list;

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014
Here is how we're going to do :)

Code:
createsrpoint;
gpt.ini;z
C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy;v
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GroupPolicy;v
StandardSearch;
emptyfolderscheck;
installer-list;
installedprogs;
uninstall-list;
Here you are

Attachments

• zoek-results.txt
    80.7 KB · Views: 105

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013

***** NEXT *****

Run FRST, check Addition.txt, press Scan and attach both reports.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    536 bytes · Views: 72

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014

***** NEXT *****

Run FRST, check Addition.txt, press Scan and attach both reports.
Ok here you are

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    28.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Addition.txt
    40.7 KB · Views: 70
  • FRST.txt
    42.6 KB · Views: 80

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013

Run FRST again, check Addition.txt press Scan and attach both reports. Tell me is Control Panel now ok?

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    383 bytes · Views: 55

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014

Run FRST again, check Addition.txt press Scan and attach both reports. Tell me is Control Panel now ok?
The muvic programs have been removed. Here is the fixlog and the frst and addition. The yahoo toolbar is still showing for some reason, but it isn't on any of my browsers. I've opened them all to see if it was an option and it doesn't show as one... I'm also not getting any popups on my chrome either. I haven't gone to a lot of websites that it always interfered with, but it looks ok now. I did go to the main website that it effected us most on and I got no popups at all. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Addition.txt
    40.4 KB · Views: 76
  • FRST.txt
    40.9 KB · Views: 71

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Let's try to remove Yahoo

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    88 bytes · Views: 65

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014
Let's try to remove Yahoo

It is still In the uninstall list. :(

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    417 bytes · Views: 61

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013

Code:
Yahoo Toolbar;u

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014

Code:
Yahoo Toolbar;u
Yahoo toolbar is still showing in my control panel uninstall or change programs list.

Attachments

• zoek-results2.txt
    940 bytes · Views: 79

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I really don't know why Zoek won't work on your PC. Something must block it.

Once again we shall use FRST for additional checks. Re-run FRST/FRST64 by double-clicking:
  • Type Yahoo into the Search: field in FRST then click the Search Registry button.
  • FRST will search your computer for files and when finished it will produce a log Search.txt in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach it to your reply.

Sweetness_cw

Thread author
Verified
May 4, 2014
I really don't know why Zoek won't work on your PC. Something must block it.

Once again we shall use FRST for additional checks. Re-run FRST/FRST64 by double-clicking:
  • Type Yahoo into the Search: field in FRST then click the Search Registry button.
  • FRST will search your computer for files and when finished it will produce a log Search.txt in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please attach it to your reply.
I have attached the search.txt

Attachments

• Search.txt
    39.5 KB · Views: 94

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.