Advice Request Help in choosing a password manager

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

dark_wielder

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

I use Google Chrome because it can sync all my information and passwords on different devices but i don't like its stability. I want to use other browsers, but then I have problems.

I am looking for a free password manager extension, I am waiting for your suggestions. I tried the Opera and the new Edge before, but later I couldn't transfer my passwords to Google Chrome. I manually added :mad: my new passwords because the file formats are different. It is very important for me that the export ability of the extension I want to use is compatible with Google Chrome. Might be needed later.

I wanted to try Bitdefender Wallet, but I couldn't import my passwords because Google Chrome is not compatible with export.

It is important for me that export and import format compatibility, reliable and free.
I am waiting for your suggestions .

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Not even with the many leaks?
Thankfully the many leaks have led to a whole bunch of nothing, since everything leaked was encrypted, or you had to land on a targeted phishing page when it had that auto fill vulnerability. There’s been no evidence anybody has been compromised due to those leaks, but that can change and it’s not the most reassuring. I bet more password managers have such problems, lastpass is just a favorite target since they are the biggest. They definitely aren’t the most secure, no argument there. But, they are the most convenient which is appealing for some. Average users love the cloud, security and privacy minded people distrust it enough to do the work not to need it.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It is very important for me that the export ability of the extension I want to use is compatible with Google Chrome.
Bitwarden can export in .csv and .json and Chrome can import .csv, but not sure about the format. Create 2-3 passwords in Bitwarden and test it.

Attachments

• capture_04192020_210726.jpg
    capture_04192020_210726.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 262

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I use 1Password. It's closed source, but I couldn't live without it. I've tried LastPass (premium), Dashlane (premium), MIKY (free), and I've kept 1Password.
He is looking for free password manager

Forget those crap password managers like Norton, Kaspersky, and other fancy names. They don't even have an in-built TOTP function, can't customize security and they just try to mimic the good password managers.
Why would you use such a thing if you have the best one so far?
Bitwarden or KeepassXC is your best bet. However I recommend Bitwarden over KeepassXC because it's browser extension is better.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I tried the Opera and the new Edge before, but later I couldn't transfer my passwords to Google Chrome. I manually added :mad: my new passwords because the file formats are different.
Update
You are correct, you cannot import saved passwords into Chrome from new Edge.

Can you clarify this:
I use Google Chrome because it can sync all my information and passwords on different devices
Your Chrome passwords can be Sync'd to your Google Account, which would have saved you the hassle. @dark_wielder Why did you need to Add Manually?

Original
You sure? I successfully imported passwords from Chrome (stable) to new Edge (stable), using the Import Wizard.
edge://settings/importData

1587389481309.png

Learn more: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4533249/microsoft-edge-whats-imported-from-google-chrome

Last edited:

dark_wielder

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 7, 2020
Your Chrome passwords can be Sync'd to your Google Account, which would have saved you the hassle. @dark_wielder Why did you need to Add Manually?

@Spawn I wanted to go back to Google Chrome from the new Edge and couldn't auto transfer my passwords to Google Chrome, a few month ago. I detected the last passwords and added to Google Chrome manually.

Original
You sure? I successfully imported passwords from Chrome (stable) to new Edge (stable), using the Import Wizard.
edge://settings/importData

View attachment 237783

Yeah, that's right. But my problem is, if I return to Google Chrome again, I don't want to have problems.

I wanted to use all my passwords and bookmarks synchronously in different browsers. Without the inadequate import and export problems of browser companies. This problem can be solved with a plugin that works on most platforms.

I trying Lastpass for my passwords. But there are so many Bitwarden suggestions that I will try it too.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
True key is excellent choice it is work perfect and is good.it is developed by Mcafee
the free version is limited to 15 login but has synchronize capability also they have good android version
also login and secure notes is exported to .CSV file which i think is compatible with many password managers

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

True key is excellent choice it is work perfect and is good.it is developed by Mcafee
And you realy trust McAfee? I wouldn't use any software.
Also this isn't OpenSource, anyway i test their site and it doesn't look secure as such a company should do:
SSL Report: Grade B

Webbkoll Results for www.truekey.com:
More tests:
https://www.immuniweb.com/ssl/?id=WX3YcMJp https://observatory.mozilla.org/analyze/www.truekey.com https://securityheaders.com/?q=www.truekey.com&followRedirects=on https://www.hardenize.com/report/truekey.com/1588440106
Not very secure for a password manager isn't it?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.