Advice Request [HELP] IOT vs guest Wi-Fi vs Ethernet: security concerns

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hello! First of all, ty for your help. Let me explain my problem.

I'm currently using an old Philips smartTV, which the last update is from 2014. So I believe it probably has a lot of vulnerabilities issues.
According to some articles (here and here), all IOT should be connected to guest wifi, as they isolate those things from your home network. That's what I do. However, my old tv also can't connect to 5Ghz wi-fi what causes some performance problems. So, I considered changing it to an ethernet connection as I could easily connect the SmartTV to an ethernet cable.
However, IDK if I could isolate the TV from my network in the same way I do with the guest wifi. Do you have any idea?

Btw, my d-link router (EXO model) has a so-called Triple-Play option into VLAN section. Idk what exactly is that, but I wonder if it could help. (I'm posting a print of the function in case you wanna help me with that too)

1591938119763.png

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.