Advice Request Help, Learning about information to and from my PC

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

meandsecurity

Thread author
Oct 25, 2023
I am a software developer that has been programming since the 80s. One thing I never cared about (except SQL injections) is computer security. I guess I am interested most things but my highest priority is learning what information from my computers (like Windows) sends out through the router and what stuff comes in (again through the router). I thought of creating my own little computer with a firewall and install software to help me analyze it. I don't know what and I don't even know were to begin. Any useful web sites, tutorials, or books on amazon would be gratefully appreciated.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I am a software developer that has been programming since the 80s. One thing I never cared about (except SQL injections) is computer security. I guess I am interested most things but my highest priority is learning what information from my computers (like Windows) sends out through the router and what stuff comes in (again through the router). I thought of creating my own little computer with a firewall and install software to help me analyze it. I don't know what and I don't even know were to begin. Any useful web sites, tutorials, or books on amazon would be gratefully appreciated.
Collection of telemetry data is a place to start in your quest, as that is an awful big bite to take at once ;)

Reactions: harlan4096

meandsecurity

Thread author
Oct 25, 2023
Thank you for your help. Interesting, but I don't trust Microsoft to tell you what they are sending through my router. What about the Internet and packets in general?

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Thank you for your help. Interesting, but I don't trust Microsoft to tell you what they are sending through my router. What about the Internet and packets in general?
Look into packet sniffing capture software in order to learn more of what transpires through your firewall and router. Learning the software and what you are reading may require some time and patience. There are many variables at play with what comes through and is involved from the machine, the OS, applications servers you connect to, services ect.

Wireshark is one of the most notable packet sniffing softwares.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.