Help me choose a Linux OS to replace Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
AFAIK, no linux OS, without upgrading to next version comes with 10 years of support.
Ubuntu has LTS versions which has support for next 5 years.
It depends on your work types which you want to do, there are so many linux OS out there with focus on ones needs.
What are you requirements and work that you do on PC?

These are very popular OS

Ubuntu
LinuxMint
Fedora
debian
Arch Linux

They all have different strong points and cons.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Xubuntu, Manjaro Xfce, Mint Cinnamon ... all of them has KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple, Stupid), a lot of free and legal software and the most well-known software (Chrome, Firefox, opera, Thunderbird, VLC, Libreoffice ...)

You can do a dual boot and keep W10. ;)

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
I've tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu, out of those two I liked Linux Mint better. I had issues installing updates on Ubuntu it would freeze and crash for me. Had no problems with Linux Mint, it was fast and easy to set up for a Linux newbie.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
AFAIK, no linux OS, without upgrading to next version comes with 10 years of support.
Aha! We have CentOS
I agree to use only distros from the popular ones. You can get it at distrowatch. This is to make sure your distro never leaves you.

CentOS have a bit of an odd learning curve since it's geared for enterprise but at least you're sure it will never leave you since it's code from RedHat that comes from people collaborating with RedHat and it has a 10-year lifetime. It's also valuable experience since it's standard server OS and is based on a standard server OS.
Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Linux Mint whatevers are easier, good and has a standard set of programs. Fedora's harder since you have to install music and has 1 year lifetime but is still good and supported, probably better than the Ubuntu brothers since they're in a hiatus.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
I need to use noscript on linux?
There's an IRC chat app in Mint, I think it's called Hex chat. You can get a lot of help on their channel using the app. They'll also walk you through any troubleshooting you might need to do.

You may also want to check this site after you install.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: Brie
A

antreas

Thread author
There's an IRC chat app in Mint, I think it's called Hex chat. You can get a lot of help on their channel using the app. They'll also walk you through any troubleshooting you might need to do.

You may also want to check this site after you install.

Hope this helps! :)

I mean i need noscript extension protection on linux? i know windows users use it for protection.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
@antreas Sorry about that. It's a good idea to use noscript. Some exploits are cross platform. Though I personally would use uMatrix. Again though, I strongly recommend using Hex chat in your Mint apps to speak directly to the Mint community. It's an extremely useful resource.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Most Windows "classic users" (not the power users) , love to say "i'm done with Windows" , but after a while , they all come back, because Windows is 10 times easier to use and compatible with most applications while Linux isn't.

A

antreas

Thread author
Most Windows "classic users" (not the power users) , love to say "i'm done with Windows" , but after a while , they all come back, because Windows is 10 times easier to use and compatible with most applications while Linux isn't.

I did that before. I was using elementary os then switch to windows 10 when i change to ssd and now i switch to linux mint.

Windows 10 is crap! all this spying from microsoft everywhere ads in folders in apps everywhere.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
i'm a home version users and i don't see any ads on my OS...:rolleyes:

On the latest Insider Build (Fast Ring) and I have never once seen any type of ads anywhere on the OS.

Don't really understand why people make such a big issue about "spying" when the programs or services they use can be sending data without their consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.