Help me choose a Linux OS to replace Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
Help me choose linux os to replace windows 10.

I need it to be popular to be sure it will get security updates for the next 10 years *I mean developers will keep working on the os*.

I think this is already mentioned by it depends what your requirements are. Do you want something that is easy to use (install applications etc) so you can have a smooth transition from Windows OS or do you want something really secure but not as "user friendly" (in windows user terminology :p) ?

I would personally go for Centos. If you are unsure, best thing you can do is download few of these distros and use them in VM so you get a feel of the OS and it capabilities

Reactions: askmark
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
On the latest Insider Build (Fast Ring) and I have never once seen any type of ads anywhere on the OS.
Don't really understand why people make such a big issue about "spying" when the programs or services they use can be sending data without their consent.
You know hating MS is trendy :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Ha !

Windows 10 is still such a touchy subject .

I cannot recall another issue that has polarized the lovers and haters so much , and it can quickly get " shouty " :)

I use Linux for all of my personal stuff , including research , but the majority of my clients are running W7 , 8 or 10
so I have to be familiar with all of them ( I have W8.x and W10 as VMs ) .

I loved W7 to bits , and still have it installed on an older laptop ( unpatched for a year now BTW , and still running great )
and I personally rate it as the best ever product from M$ , but the aggressive pushing of W10 ( GWX ) and the chaos that
followed with all of the update issues forced me to turn my back on M$ for good .

Regarding the question from the OP .... @antreas

For stability , ease of use , and for many other reasons , Mint has to be my top recommendation .
Ubuntu will feel more comfortable to Mac users ( but I have a bunch of gripes about it , technical and aesthetic ones :) )

My next best pick would be Zorin .

I've been recently recommending or installing it for folks suffering from " M$ Fatigue Syndrome " ,
and I have yet to hear a negative comment .

I first tried it last year running Live off a USB stick , and everything worked , right out of the box .
Network connections , all hardware and drivers etc .
And I've been a compulsive distro-hopper for many years , so I don't impress easily .

I should say here that I am not a gamer , and as things stand right now , Linux simply can not deliver the performance
that serious players get from Mac or Windows .
Throwing expensive hardware upgrades at the problem doesn't solve it either .
There is no shortage of disgruntled gamers on the Linux forums !

Anyway , as always , just my two kopecks worth :)

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Most Windows "classic users" (not the power users) , love to say "i'm done with Windows" , but after a while , they all come back, because Windows is 10 times easier to use and compatible with most applications while Linux isn't.
Application availability is important but most of the speed of navigation comes from familiarity and Windows is the more familiar OS. Linux numbers seem to be consistent anyway although Ubuntu seems to be reported differently.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can try RemixOS which is a Linux desktop OS with Android functionalities.

Or try Puppy Linux where you can run the OS even in low-end specification of machine.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Microsoft farm your data daily, you pay for windows and they give you gift to serve you ads everywhere in the system...
You are using Android or Iphone? they do worse...but you don't complains, right? you even keep using them....

i don't understand why you love Microsoft so much???
This isn't related about love or whatever...it is about being logic, if in the future i don't like MS orientation, i will go back to Linux in less than a minute instead of acting like a spoiled kid by keeping using it and whining.

they earn money from you and you earn squat! :mad::mad::mad:
Earn what? you don't use Windows to earn anything, you use it because you need it.

Facebook sell you and Google sell you too! People wake up wtf!
Wake up for what? those aren't public property...those aren't charity...MS and all the big corporations are business , they were made to generate profit by all means.
If you ever owned a company , you will know that you need to use all the tools you can to generate profits.

Conclusion: if you don't like a product just ditch it and use something else but stop whining...

Now back to the topic, my choices:

- Ubuntu for beginners
- Linux Qubes for paranoids and advanced users.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
If you're going to switch or even dual boot I'd suggest Linux Mint Cinnamon edition. It looks like your standard desktop, very easy to use, reliable and great support on their forums. I'm the opposite of CyberGhost, I use Windows 10 to tinker with security software etc but my main OS is, and has been for a very long time Linux Mint Cinnamon edition and that's not for security reasons I just find the OS a pleasure to use, I love the open source community. I also use Ubuntu Unity a lot too as I find that to be a very productive desktop environment. For me it's not about which is the better OS it's just personal preference. I've used just about every Linux distro you can name at one point or another, but I stick to the two above as those suit my needs perfectly. I'm happy using Windows or a Linux based distro as a daily driver. I just like to have both installed on my system. I am however considering buying a new Mac Pro, last time I used Mac OS was when I had my Mac mini and it was a pleasure to use and I much prefer it to both Windows and Linux based distros. The only thing I dislike about Apple is they try to get you trapped into using all their products, but if MS had a mobile OS that was as popular as iOS they'd do the same.

Reactions: Al-Faqir

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Interesting thread... though I wonder how many of these distros have full UEFI/Secure Boot compatibility. That has always stalled me. I wanted dual boot w/o to tinker w/bios settings.

Reactions: Brie

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For the Mint Cinnamon lovers: why is it preferable to Xubuntu?
Just asking for advice...

Reactions: Al-Faqir and Brie
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.