Help me choose a Linux OS to replace Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I switched from mint to manjaro and couldn't be happier. Faster, more stable then mint and it is rolling release distro

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Does anyone know based Linux os can use autocad 2015 or above and civil 3d also
no but you have alternatives, it is why company using those softs can't switch to Linux easily.

Wine is too unpredictable to even care to use this kind of expensive softs.

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
no but you have alternatives, it is why company using those softs can't switch to Linux easily.

Wine is too unpredictable to even care to use this kind of expensive softs.
Wine supports older version 2012 and not stable
Can not use alternative cos the output file used by another workmates also with another app for final project

So I wondered if anyone knows one

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Wine supports older version 2012 and not stable
Can not use alternative cos the output file used by another workmates also with another app for final project

So I wondered if anyone knows one
You want to edit something from autocad perfectly without using autocad? You'd probably be better off using the same software.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, found some answers online regarding Ubuntu

Sorry

Last edited:

mhertz

Level 1
Oct 31, 2017
After trying a rolling-release distro, then there's no lookin' back, or atleast for me... I'm always on latest version of OS and apps, by running a single command...

If willing to read up on things, then imho arch-linux is hard to beat, for me atleast, and I switched to it while still being a linux-noob, so it's not that hard, just takes some reading and following the well laid-out beginner/install-guides and wiki.

The app-selection is great and very fast updating, and if you cannot get something, then it's 99.9% always available in the user-repository, which also just takes a command or two to install(+ frontend-helpers available).

You start from scratch pretty much and only install what you need, instead of having a bunch of crap you don't need and needs purging after install or will bloat your hdd and resources...

kowalski215

Level 2
Verified
Mar 16, 2015
I tried many linux distro, but at the end I always ended up with Mint. Ubuntu-based but with huge tweaks that make it the best (according to me).
Either Cinnamon or MATE DE do the job quite well. I do prefer Cinnamon, but that's just a matter of... taste ;)
You might want to have a look at distrowatch.com to gain some more insights.
Someone mentioned zorin. Good to switch from Windows, but it sounded like a sort of "hybrid" when I tried it, not convinced at all.

mhertz

Level 1
Oct 31, 2017
... Also, instead of emulating the windows experience with traditional DEs, then do yourself a favor and try to get comfortable with a tilling-WM instead, or a more full-screen oriented one/manual-tiler, like ratpoison. This and learning to use the command-line, is my biggest advice to newcomers to linux to really experience the edge over windows... I messed around for a year or so, wasting time with switching between different DEs and avoiding the CLI. Of course it's not for everyone, but just some friendly advice...

Whenever I work on a windows machine now, I feel seriously crippled. If too much, then also e.g. openbox is nice too, which was my first foray into stand-alone window-managers...

Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I tried many linux distro, but at the end I always ended up with Mint. Ubuntu-based but with huge tweaks that make it the best (according to me).
Either Cinnamon or MATE DE do the job quite well. I do prefer Cinnamon, but that's just a matter of... taste ;)
You might want to have a look at distrowatch.com to gain some more insights.
Someone mentioned zorin. Good to switch from Windows, but it sounded like a sort of "hybrid" when I tried it, not convinced at all.
If you don't want to go the Arch route I agree completely Mint is one of the very best distros and it's still got the full power of the Linux Kernel so it is just as powerful as Arch. You just have to uninstall stuff you don't want. I never uninstall anything on Mint Cinnamon I think it's perfect the way it is, I do tweak it a bit but that's all. And, you can still manually update the kernel so you're running the latest kernel. And you can manually update all the apps so you're running bleeding edge if you want to.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
For me linux mint was more noob friendly than xubuntu or lubuntu. I tried to connect a laptop to my tv for websurfing and got problems with the tv resolution and disabling the laptop display. After surfing the web, try and error it got it to work on linux mint with less struggle than on the other two.

snowden

Dec 24, 2016
Personally i never seen the appeal of Linux Mint, it pushes heavily proprietary software on the users...as bad or even worst than Ubuntu.

I like Debian and Fedora! Arch is just another binary distro (much different from Gentoo) with a poor installer, nothing magical about it, I've seen dozen of benchmarks to prove it. The AUR repository is not something that i would use, i prefer the official repository and if the software i want isn't available to download i build it from source.

Right now I'm rocking Qubes os 3.2...love it.

DaveInTexas

Level 1
Mar 14, 2018
I love Qubes also; very secure and quite flexible, but it requires a little more effort. Its also very picky about what hardware it will work with (especially if you want all the features operating). But it has a very limited market share (I think an estimated installed base of about 30,000). It basically uses the Xen hypervisor to create multiple virtual machines that are designed to be isolated -- if one is compromised, the others remain secure. It comes with Whomix and Fedora, but there are prebuilt templates for Debian and Arch, and you can even create a Windows 7 machine that works quite well!

I have a computer that multiboots into 7 OSs -- Mint, Manjaro, Windows, Fedora, openSUSE, Debian and Xubuntu. I was surprised, but everyone in the house -- my young granddaughter, college age step son, older step-daughter, etc. -- they all choose Manjaro. I think right now it is rated number 2 at DistroWatch, and its been around for a while.

Mint is very easy for new users (especially those coming from windows), but its security (compared to other distros) does leave something to be desired. I've always liked openSUSE, but it seems bloated and slow, even on a i7-3770K with 16G RAM. Debian is a battleship -- i.e., stable and secure. For me, half the fun is trying out new distros, so I have several computers set to multi-boot. Fedora is cutting edge, Xubuntu is fast, even on my old laptop with 1G RAM. And there are so many more out there.

But, to answer your question, it depends on what you want. Check out DistroWatch, most of the distros in the top 20 will be around for quite some time to come, although that's probably true for at least the top 50. Figure out what your next priority is (speed, minimal hardware requirements, security, stability, package diversity, ease of use, etc.). Then try out several -- either in Virtual Machines or using live disks (or USBs). You may find half the fun is experimenting, you will probably find all sort of little features you love and in the end you will get a distro (or multiboot into multiple distros) that you will be quite happy with -- especially since you found them.

Good luck, and enjoy.

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I tried Linux Mint (Cinnamon) a few days back, and although, it was quite easy to use, the inability to find or use a VPN and my favorite IDM, I had to come back to Windows. The available VLC version was quite outdated. I personally use PotPlayer.

Looks wise, Ubuntu looks much better than Mint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.