Advice Request Help me decide which paid password manager i go with?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I highly recommend 1Password. Agilebits is a great company and they constantly work on and improve their product.

That’s why our privacy policy is simple: your data is your data. We don’t use it, we don’t share it, and we don’t sell it. You’re our customer, not our product.

Nothing more to say really. :)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hello! I am using lastpass free but i want to go to premium service but i don't know.
Can you please suggest me?
With Cloud saving please.
May I ask why it has to be Cloud saving?

If you don't mind about Cloud saving & want the most secure Password manager then I would go with KeePass 2.0...

KeePass works offline, is compatible with a Chrome extension (works on my Chromebook too) & has 2 Step Authentication, Password Generation (I generate 75 character passwords on there), categorising & lots of customization.

If you want it to be portable then just save the Key file & Password database to a USB & you're good to go! Just make sure you back it up :)

The problem with services like LastPass is that they claim to be secure but have been hacked many times & in reality nothing in the cloud is as secure as people claim it to be. Offline Password Managers like KeePass are always the best for security because someone has to physically gain access to your machine to have access to the passwords.

A

antreas

Thread author
May I ask why it has to be Cloud saving?

If you don't mind about Cloud saving & want the most secure Password manager then I would go with KeePass 2.0...

KeePass works offline, is compatible with a Chrome extension (works on my Chromebook too) & has 2 Step Authentication, Password Generation (I generate 75 character passwords on there), categorising & lots of customization.

If you want it to be portable then just save the Key file & Password database to a USB & you're good to go! Just make sure you back it up :)

The problem with services like LastPass is that they claim to be secure but have been hacked many times & in reality nothing in the cloud is as secure as people claim it to be. Offline Password Managers like KeePass are always the best for security because someone has to physically gain access to your machine to have access to the passwords.

Because on cloud i can use it everywhere, and easy.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am using Sticky Password Premium And find it good. And you can get the premium version for free as there are quite often Sticky Password giveaways kinda you would hardly need to pay for it. I am using premium from one of those giveaways.

I guess ESET password manager is Sticky Password powered or they partnered And dont know if Eset password is the same as Sticky Password or minus some features, etc.

Reactions: Solarlynx

vinylmeister

Level 2
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
Hi,

why using proprietary software? The best password manager is imo keepass. I would highly recommend it!

The main advantage is that it´s open source and tons of plugins are available. For cloud saving just use a plugin called "keepass anywhere" and easily sync all of your devices accessing Box, Dropbox, HiDrive, Google Drive, OneDrive, hubiC, Amazon AWS S3, or simply on your on server via FTP! Lot`s of choices ;)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Hi,

why using proprietary software? The best password manager is imo keepass. I would highly recommend it!

The main advantage is that it´s open source and tons of plugins are available. For cloud saving just use a plugin called "keepass anywhere" and easily sync all of your devices accessing Box, Dropbox, HiDrive, Google Drive, OneDrive, hubiC, Amazon AWS S3, or simply on your on server via FTP! Lot`s of choices ;)

Some paid services allow you to host your database to any cloud service that you want to but they usually come with some limitations and you'll have to pay to unlock some of their "premium" features.

KeePass allows you to host your password database on any cloud service that you pick, thus you can use it on almost any device that can run the program (ports are available) for mobile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Because on cloud i can use it everywhere, and easy.
But with KeePass 2.0 it's more secure, has more features & can be accessed from anywhere if you have a copy in the Chrome extension.

Do you really want to sacrifice security/privacy for portability? KeePass 2.0 is still very portable, you just need to backup the files & load it into the Chrome extension.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have used many but I have found LastPass to work for me.
I have never had anything compromised in the many years I have used it.
The paid version is very reasonanble and syncs across mutltiple devices.
Offers a whole host of security options from local settings,virtual keyboard,MFA to Yubikey(must be purchased though Yubico.com)

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I used KeePass syncing via DropBox. Now I use LastPass premium and in general I'm almost satisfied. Except that sometimes LastPass servers are down. And I found out, and their support confirmed that, that LP in Firefox portable has issues with automatic logoff.

The main problem with KP + DP was that sometimes I forgot to sync my home PC database - I used to keep KP logged in there constantly - and new or changed passwords were close to be lost. I had to keep additional folders with KP database copies in DB for different locations of KP for such cases.

As for LP I like that it keeps an eye on passwords strength and checks if sites are compromised. Like other cloud password managers though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I agree with Aragorn, stick with what your using and just go premium ;)
If you just have to try something new the next logical step up would be to go
with TrueKey, it's more secure than the others by far ;)
**And MT is hosting a giveaway for it right now

penwright1029

Level 1
Jan 14, 2016
Sticky Password. I got it free, through a-give-away. I like how it will launch a log in into your browser. The only thing that I've found to be a gripe. If I change a password, I have to, manually, delete the old one and then put in the full information for a log in. Other that that, it's easy to use and will show up within the boxes in log ins by right clicking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.