Advice Request Help me pick a new router

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
As some of you know, my TP-Link Archer AX20 encountered some issues so I started the RMA process. In short, the shop I bought the router two years ago closed it's doors for the Croatian (and other EU markets). I sent the router back for the service and after two months, today I got mail which basically says I'm not getting my router fixed and instead I'll get complete refund.

So I'm in need of a new router (because ISP's Huawei is terrible and slow).

My requirements are:
  • from a reputable brand
  • Wi-Fi 6/6E
  • minimum 2402 Mbps (5 GHz) + 574 Mbps (2.4 GHz)
  • minimum 3x 1G LAN ports + 1 2.5G WAN port
  • with great coverage (I have thick concrete walls at home)
  • active support in terms of updates
  • minimum three-year warranty
  • budget: around 110€
I was looking at some TP-Link routers like Archer AX72, and while it offers great speed, 4x4 MU-MIMO, it has only 1G WAN port, limitng me to 1 Gb/s.

I found Asus TUF Router AX3000 V2 (~112€ with promo code) and it's exactly what I need, but I couldn't find any relevant reviews of the product. Does anyone here has a Asus Router? Are you satisfied with it? How is the coverage and speeds?

Thanks everyone. :)

Last edited:

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Glad at least they gave you a refund
Well, they had to. It's the law here. But they could have done that immediately and not made me wait for two months. 🤷🏻‍♂️
asus routers are one of the best, i use one as well its a great router if you have a good internet plan. just make sure you know if you want to turn off the ai protection or not
I read that everywhere online. I see Asus also offers three-year warranty, but I'll ask the shop to be sure.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Reactions: Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Get WiFi 7 router

It's way too expensive and isn't available in Croatia yet. Also, it would be overkill for my 1000/500 speed.

Edited the first post to add the budget.

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
In the end, I bought Asus TUF-AX3000 V2. Can't wait for it to come. I hoped it would arrive yesterday, but it didn't. Today is All Saints day in Croatia (a holiday) so it should be here tomorrow, at last by the end of the week (knowing our Post).

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
and did it arrive?
I just went to write an update post. It came few hours ago even though I really didn't expect it today since in the morning, it was still in the central post office. Took some time to set it up and so far, it works great. Signal coverage is definitely better than on my previous TP-Link Archer AX20. The furthest away in a flat, I still get above 500 Mb/s (160 MHz magic); even through concrete wall(s).

It did scare me a bit during setup though. I went to change DHCP settings, and planned to make 1.1.1.1 as default DNS on connected devices. After saving settings, it got stuck and Wi-Fi network stopped showing on lists of my Wi-Fi capable devices. Strangely, Wi-Fi LEDs were on all the time. Anyway, I connected my laptop via cable and then reversed the changes, restarted the router and ever since then, everything works normally. So far, I didn't have any drops in connection, but will see.

First two weeks will be the real test period since I can return it and get a refund if something won't work properly.

Here's a speedtest from the router's internal page:
Screenshot_5.png

And here's from my Poco X5 Pro 5G:
9672021074.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 97327

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.