JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
After my previous thread Buying Laptop - Help me to choose a gaming laptop , I need your help for my stepson who plays high level Chess and use PC and laptops for running Chess softwares for analysing games.
The most important parameters are processor speed, hard disk speed, memory at least 16 Go and low noise when running.
The budget is not yet definitive because this laptop will be a gift for his 20th anniversary from me, his mother his girlfriend and his friends, so we can hope for 2K or 2,5K €.
I'm not sure that the gaming laptops suggested here Buying Laptop - Help me to choose a gaming laptop are also the best choice for playing Chess (for example Video is not very important).
Thanks in advance for your help.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Objectively, that's a lot of money for a laptop so I would go for all arounder with Asus ROG Strix Scar III (2019). Chess engines use brute CPU power for calculations except for Lela Chess Zero (AI) which can use CPU and GPU. Anyway, for that money, you guys can freely go with RTX2060 Model for 1800$. The model with RTX 2070 is 500$ more expensive which is unreal IMHO

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Hello,
After my previous thread Buying Laptop - Help me to choose a gaming laptop , I need your help for my stepson who plays high level Chess and use PC and laptops for running Chess softwares for analysing games.
The most important parameters are processor speed, hard disk speed, memory at least 16 Go and low noise when running.
The budget is not yet definitive because this laptop will be a gift for his 20th anniversary from me, his mother his girlfriend and his friends, so we can hope for 2K or 2,5K €.
I'm not sure that the gaming laptops suggested here Buying Laptop - Help me to choose a gaming laptop are also the best choice for playing Chess (for example Video is not very important).
Thanks in advance for your help.
If you play online Chess I recommend Internet Chess Club,It has the ability to catch Chess cheaters who use engines {cheaters on Chess sites are rampant } Agadmator"s Chess Channel on You Tube covers World events past and present ,really good watch.Sorry I am not qualified to advise what gaming computer to get .GL

Reactions: stefanos

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Objectively, that's a lot of money for a laptop so I would go for all arounder with Asus ROG Strix Scar III (2019). Chess engines use brute CPU power for calculations except for Lela Chess Zero (AI) which can use CPU and GPU. Anyway, for that money, you guys can freely go with RTX2060 Model for 1800$. The model with RTX 2070 is 500$ more expensive which is unreal IMHO
Thanks @BoraMurdar
This ASUS seems perfect for our gift.
Are you a Chess player ?

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
If you play online Chess I recommend Internet Chess Club,It has the ability to catch Chess cheaters who use engines {cheaters on Chess sites are rampant } Agadmator"s Chess Channel on You Tube covers World events past and present ,really good watch.Sorry I am not qualified to advise what gaming computer to get .GL

Hello @Dave Russo
My stepson did not use PC and laptop to cheat at chess.
He is a strong club player and he uses PC to get ready for the tournaments.

bulamber

Level 2
Verified
Apr 23, 2017
Lichess is the best onlinechess sites is completely free /open source/ with more than 50 000 players and top GM including Magnus Carlsen, for chess software i have Chessbase GUI and Arena GUI with Stockfish and Leela chess zero

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Lichess is the best onlinechess sites is completely free /open source/ with more than 50 000 players and top GM including Magnus Carlsen, for chess software i have Chessbase GUI and Arena GUI with Stockfish and Leela chess zero
Thanks @bulamber
And what kind of software ?

Reactions: Dave Russo
P

Pkjfkknm

2K or 2,5K €.

here suggests too much

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
here suggests too much

Thanks @.\urbeat
But your links are 3 or 4 years old:(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.