Troubleshoot Help Picking a Security Suite!

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Had Ad-wares and Browser addons installed with a full fledged ad-ware application installed as well.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
EEK and Hitman Pro
Hey guys! A little help. I need to pick a security suite for my uncles laptop. To put a long story short, my uncle tends to click random links on e-mail or while browsing. He keeps getting his laptop infected. Though most of the time me or my brother in law usually do tech support for him and fix it.

We were thinking of getting a security suite for him, to atleast secure his laptop a little. He had McAfee Installed which i uninstalled ( don't really no why, but i dont really like McAfee products.) For the moment i have hin hooked up with Avast free, while we search for something.

I would prefer something robust but user friendly. I got it nailed to do KIS, BIS, N360 or EIS.

What would you guys recommend? Open to opinions.

Thanks for hearing me out and thanks for your valuable inputs.

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
Hello @mercurial maybe a good idea would be to use Qihoo Internet Security or QTS with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and add AdGuard, HTTPS Everywhere and Ghostery to his browsers, You can config all and your uncle don't have to configure anything. but if you want one option Kaspersky Internet Security its the best option i think. :D

Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Hello @mercurial maybe a good idea would be to use Qihoo Internet Security or QTS with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and add AdGuard, HTTPS Everywhere and Ghostery to his browsers, You can config all and your uncle don't have to configure anything. but if you want one option Kaspersky Internet Security its the best
option i think. :D

That's actually not a bad idea, i can hook up a good AV with that combo.

Upvote 0

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
From my experience i can suggest ESET.It's light on system resources and has very good detection on PUP-Adware( you just have to check it when you are installing it).It's also very stable and they add new malware in their database very quick.
For free i think you are good with Avast or you can install 360TS as Nitlott suggested with some extensions.
I hope i have helped and good luck;)

Upvote 0

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
U can stay with avast free. It protects ur oncle as much as any other av suit out there does. u dont need a full suit(firewall). Windows build in firewall is more than enough for home users. if ur oncle dont install much unknow software just change the settings from hardernmode to aggressive so he can click as much as he want. almost inpossible to get infected than. Realy no need to buy a full suit for home users.

Upvote 0

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
My vote goes for Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 - it's an excellent choice which offers amazing protection against the latest and most advanced threats. Take these online youtube video's with a pinch of salt, they are not IT experts, go with (as I tell my patients) what your gut tells you!

Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
There are variables, like system resources, and the users knowledge/uses of their system to take into account. Download a trial of one, run it for a few days with them, and if it does not fit their needs, try another, until you find one that works for them.

System is quite good, it is a haswell i7 with 12 GB ram and a SSD, though i want to keep things simple, if he gets to many pop up he might just uninstall the av/IS.

U can stay with avast free. It protects ur oncle as much as any other av suit out there does. u dont need a full suit(firewall). Windows build in firewall is more than enough for home users. if ur oncle dont install much unknow software just change the settings from hardernmode to aggressive so he can click as much as he want. almost inpossible to get infected than. Realy no need to buy a full suit for home users.

@Janl92l hehe that's exactly what i said, but my brother in law disagrees. He is like we buy him a robust security suite.

If you looking for a paid AV then ESET Smart security is my vote for.
@darko999 Originally i was thinking between EIS and ESS 8, but ESS may be complicated for him, especially if he gets HIPS pop-ups.

My vote goes for Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 - it's an excellent choice which offers amazing protection against the latest and most advanced threats. Take these online youtube video's with a pinch of salt, they are not IT experts, go with (as I tell my patients) what your gut tells you!

@Tony Cole Yes, i am more incline towards KIS and BIS since after installtion, they don't really require any more user inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There is really no right answer.I use EIS 9,KIS 2015 & ESS 8 on different machines with different operating systems.These work for me but like others have said there are variables that figure into your decision also and trial is the only way to really know for sure.If I had to choose one for the poll based on a pretty recent & good system I would say KIS 2015 with EIS 9 right there too. I personally prefer KIS,EIS & ESS over BIS.

Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
There is really no right answer.I use EIS 9,KIS 2015 & ESS 8 on different machines with different operating systems.These work for me but like others have said there are variables that figure into your decision also and trial is the only way to really know for sure.If I had to choose one for the poll based on a pretty recent & good system I would say KIS 2015 with EIS 9 right there too. I personally prefer KIS,EIS & ESS over BIS.

Yup, i like to mix things up as well depending on the system and system resources available i have three different suites on all three of my systems. Strong point, i usually prefer KIS on doubtful systems, i would for EIS as a second option as well. Though my brother in la,w he is not upto speed with EIS and ESS hehe. So i am more inclined towards KIS l, since mostly everyone has heard about Kaspersky at some point.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Browsing and clicking links? Then no problem you can go to Norton Internet Security since primarily deals on the internet from all of features and to say its an install and forget. :)

Then add sandboxie with an assigned browser as default so he can surf safely in the web.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
@frogboy ya i would go for ESET, but it would be bad for him. I have Avast installed but my brother in law is against it. I think i know where to go with this i'll try KIS, EIS and NIS and run all 3 for a week each with the add-ons @Nitlott suggested.

I'll buy the key for the suite which works best on his system.

Thanks guys, you all have been a great help, with great prespectives! Thanks for all your input!

Upvote 0

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
@frogboy ya i would go for ESET, but it would be bad for him. I have Avast installed but my brother in law is against it. I think i know where to go with this i'll try KIS, EIS and NIS and run all 3 for a week each with the add-ons @Nitlott suggested.

I'll buy the key for the suite which works best on his system.

Thanks guys, you all have been a great help, with great prespectives! Thanks for all your input!

There are no HIPS pop's up on default ESET installation, ESET handles it internally unless you switch it to smart mode or interactive. ESET with default settings has nothing to do with complicated, IDK what you talking about.

Reactions: YuanJiawj
Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
There are no HIPS pop's up on default ESET installation, ESET handles it internally unless you switch it to smart mode or interactive. ESET with default settings has nothing to do with complicated, IDK what you talking about.

@darko999 I haven't really used ESS 8 yet so i am really not updated on the user required HIPS pop-ups, but i want to keep my uncle's system to if possible zero user pop ups. Since i have used KIS and a little of EIS 9 i know the popups are almost minimal. As for slowdowns since, it's quite a fast system i am not really concerned if it slows down the system a little, security get's the priority.

Upvote 0

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
@darko999 I haven't really used ESS 8 yet so i am really not updated on the user required HIPS pop-ups, but i want to keep my uncle's system to if possible zero user pop ups. Since i have used KIS and a little of EIS 9 i know the popups are almost minimal. As for slowdowns since, it's quite a fast system i am not really concerned if it slows down the system a little, security get's the priority.
ESET on default settings has the same or less interactive pop's up than Kaspersky.

Reactions: mercurial
Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
If links are the main problem he is hitting, I think Panda AV would be a good choice because they have excellent web blocking, better to prevent the malware from getting on the system than removing it right? If not I think Qihoo would be a great AV to stick with as well, cloud based means that he doesn't have to update anything and he would still have up to date signatures.

Currently using Bitdefender IS and would not recommend if your uncle hates pop ups, because when bitdefender detects a threat it normally gives individual pop ups for each threat meaning you have to continue to click the X button until they are all gone. However you could switch it to auto pilot mode which gives full protection and 0 pop ups, it basically decides what to do with the threat by itself without consulting the user, it could go both ways, I turned that off because I want to know if it detects a threat.

Reactions: mercurial
Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
@darko999 Ohk, thanks for the info, the last time i had used Eset i think it was around 6 or something and it had to many pop-ups, for a techie it was fine, but was not advisable for a normal user. Thanks for the information! I will add Eset to the list as well and see how things go.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.