Troubleshoot Help Picking a Security Suite!

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Had Ad-wares and Browser addons installed with a full fledged ad-ware application installed as well.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
EEK and Hitman Pro
Hey guys! A little help. I need to pick a security suite for my uncles laptop. To put a long story short, my uncle tends to click random links on e-mail or while browsing. He keeps getting his laptop infected. Though most of the time me or my brother in law usually do tech support for him and fix it.

We were thinking of getting a security suite for him, to atleast secure his laptop a little. He had McAfee Installed which i uninstalled ( don't really no why, but i dont really like McAfee products.) For the moment i have hin hooked up with Avast free, while we search for something.

I would prefer something robust but user friendly. I got it nailed to do KIS, BIS, N360 or EIS.

What would you guys recommend? Open to opinions.

Thanks for hearing me out and thanks for your valuable inputs.

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
My Vote Goes for ESET SS 8 no pop-ups secure with my common sense and yes there is no hips pop-ups.
(in EIS 9 you will get BB pop-ups if you are offline)

Reactions: mercurial
Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
If links are the main problem he is hitting, I think Panda AV would be a good choice because they have excellent web blocking, better to prevent the malware from getting on the system than removing it right? If not I think Qihoo would be a great AV to stick with as well, cloud based means that he doesn't have to update anything and he would still have up to date signatures.

Currently using Bitdefender IS and would not recommend if your uncle hates pop ups, because when bitdefender detects a threat it normally gives individual pop ups for each threat meaning you have to continue to click the X button until they are all gone. However you could switch it to auto pilot mode which gives full protection and 0 pop ups, it basically decides what to do with the threat by itself without consulting the user, it could go both ways, I turned that off because I want to know if it detects a threat.

Ya panda is good, but the blocking is exactly the problem lol. If to many sites are blocked he might just go and un-install the AV itself. He is weird that way.

Reactions: Atlas147
Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Ya panda is good, but the blocking is exactly the problem lol. If to many sites are blocked he might just go and un-install the AV itself. He is weird that way.
Hahaha a little hard to help someone who doesn't want to be helped :p

Upvote 0

mercurial

Level 6
Thread author
Oct 3, 2012
Hahaha a little hard to help someone who doesn't want to be helped :p
Ya, i end-up doing damage control :p. Last time i think i had Webroot AV, installed on his pc and a month later when i called to check up on how his system was running and he was like i un-installed it, since it was not doing anything lol. :confused:

Reactions: VirusAttak
Upvote 0

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Ya, i end-up doing damage control :p. Last time i think i had Webroot AV, installed on his pc and a month later when i called to check up on how his system was running and he was like i un-installed it, since it was not doing anything lol. :confused:
Quite funny lol install something without user interface so he can't get his hands on it they both will be safe your uncle and Security Suite :p

Upvote 0

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Install Kaspersky 2015, enable parental controls which stops the software being removed, altered or configured. Set application control to untrusted and the system is bullet proof :)

Upvote 0

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
See basically U need any security suite if u continuously use Torrent and visit Wares sites..(I don't think uncle does so )
Usually a geek like me do play around although with common sense but sometimes not thats where security suits save my @ss

To be Frank! I didn't knew so many threats are there on internet before joining MalwaTips(seriously)
after coming here I came to know what a CyberWorld is and what Threat it poses

see if u don't want any pop-ups and light on resources Prefer KASPERSKY/ESET is also nowadays very efficient
see the below screenshot of KIS on my main system on idle system usage but scan timing the usage will go to 200MB,but since The RAM is 12 GB its negligiable[/B]

also its always adviced to use other security for Total Protection LIKE ON-DEMAND scanner like
MBAM(free) on demand
Hitman-PRO

Browsers need to be normally config with adblocker(of ur choice)+ghostery/disconnect

ANd, of course regular Windows Updates for avoiding vulnerability in applications

That should provide a Total Protection for his system

Hope U got ur Answer
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I voted for EIS, but honestly Avast free should be enough. ESET would be my first pick if it was on the poll.

Upvote 0

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Tough choice, all of those security suite you listed above are excellent, but since you mentioned that your uncle like to clicking anything, or probably downloading unknown files, then I think Norton probably good choice for him, why? norton has a feature which called "Download Insight" its a good feature from norton which I like it very much, you can also configure it to maximum setting if you want (which also give more false positive) also..norton has known to "Auto quarantine or auto delete threats" which I believe it could make less confusing especially for happy clicker, in that way..your uncle doesn't even had a chance to execute those files and thus keeping his pc more secure. I think the more less prompt/pop up is better for him, because if he had a chance to restore or exclude the files, then probably he might get infected again, it is why I think norton probably a good choice for him.

But I agree with most of answer here in this thread, I think the best way to do decide which product suite him well to at least to run a trial for him, probably 1-2 week per product, and see which one is better for him :)

Upvote 0

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
@darko999 Ohk, thanks for the info, the last time i had used Eset i think it was around 6 or something and it had to many pop-ups, for a techie it was fine, but was not advisable for a normal user. Thanks for the information! I will add Eset to the list as well and see how things go.
Of course while installing you get some pop's up and stuff to enable or not, that happens with most AV solutions outhere. After that, on default settings it runs smooth and silent.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.