Question Help please.... Brave extension

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I am trying to add the Metamask extension to Brave via the Google store(I can't believe I'm typing this...) and I keep getting this message and thing goes into a death loop that I can't get rid of unless I force quite Brave. This is my first ever download from Google and I'm super impressed already...

All help appreciated, thanks.
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 5.07.05 am.jpg

Please don't tell its ARM based...

Edit:
Got it working and setup, but I would still like to know what is causing this message...

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is my first ever download from Google and I'm super impressed already...
I regret to inform you that this issue relates to Apple macOS and Brave browser, not with Google.

Text from screenshot:
"go-ipfs_v0.19.1_darwin-arm64" can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.
Brave downloaded this file today at 4:35 am.
  • The pop-up window is from Apple Gatekeeper, and it could be one of many reasons.
  • If your Mac runs on Apple silicon (M1, M2 etc) then it’s using ARM64 architecture.
  • It appears Gatekeeper is suggesting that Brave may have downloaded an older build of Go-IPFS.
Whilst I’m not familiar with it, Brave browser supports IPFS which can be toggled from within the browser settings. IPFS Companion is also available for Firefox and Chrome.
Go is an open-source programming language - The Go Programming Language
Here’s a quick comparison between IPFS and Go-IPFS - ipfs vs Go IPFS - compare differences and reviews? | LibHunt

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Thanks Ink. I figured it was an M2 compatibility issue.

But, the download was from the Google Store(?) via the link on the Brave download page. No caveats on anything regarding ARM compatibility at any stage. No post-download preamble to 'check for upgrades'. Nothing. So on that basis i expect the thing to just work.

You know, like they always do from the App store.

One of the beauty's of the Apple ecosystem is, if something doesn't work, the OS, the Hardware, the browser, the, etc. etc. You blame/ring Apple!

In this case, as I said, first ever Google Store download, the app didn't work.

So, is it my hardware, my OS, Google's app store(old version) or Brave's browser(take your pick) or am I just stupid?

"Who ya gonna call...?"

So, for future reference, do upgrades for the Brave browser come from Google to me or Brave to me. I mean, surely I get a notification from one of them that an update is available?

Or is that just one of those, elitist, Apple quirks?

I appreciate your advice and the provided links, cheers!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But, the download was from the Google Store(?) via the link on the Brave download page.
Can you send a screenshot of the page: “via the link from the Brave download page"?

Google Store, Play Store and Chrome Web Store are not the same things.

In this case, as I said, first ever Google Store download, the app didn't work.
As Brave is Chromium-based, it’s safe to assume you downloaded an App/Extension from the Chrome Web Store. Are you able to share a link?

So, for future reference, do upgrades for the Brave browser come from Google to me or Brave to me. I mean, surely I get a notification from one of them that an update is available?
Brave browser will auto-update itself — as do 99% of Chromium-based browsers.

Go to brave://settings/help
Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 14.28.07.png

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 2.36.24 am.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 2.37.21 am.jpg

So, nothing auto-downloads, nothing happens when I 'click' the link, top right. I retry several times and eventually get the .pkg file and install Brave.

The error message I posted at the start of this thread is from within Brave, at the final stage of installation of the Metamask extension, which was from Google Play.

However, as I now have the Metamask extension downloaded, installed and setup, I can't recreate it's download page from Google Play as the wallet link in Brave now simply opens the wallet, and not the first time install Google Play download page. And, I'm sorry, but I am not uninstalling the Metamask extension just for a screen shot for the purpose of this thread . But this is the equivalent page, but for the Brave mobile app.(sorry, but I can't be bothered opening-up Google Play just for a screen shot of the actual Metamask link. Trust me, they are the same looking pages. Different products, but the same download source).

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 2.38.21 am.jpg

The critical thing here, for me, is the message ~"this software needs to be updated, contact the developer".

Is that the OS, Browser or Extension developer? Which company's product is generating this error message?

My point from the start has been, if this was a Safari extension, I could have been getting one-on-one technical advice direct from Apple via the phone with someone who has my computer's entire history, from manufacture to last OS update, simply by giving then my laptop's serial number. And there would be no buck passing, Apple would take full responsibility and just solve the issue.

As described above, realistically, I hadn't even finished setting-up the Brave/Metamask browser combo before I was 'stuck' and had three different companies involved as the potential source of the problem. Forget about trying more alternative Browsers, I have a life to live.

As I have said before, throw in Microsoft's stuff and Android, and I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would sign-up for this eco-system.

Nothing elitist, fanboy are any other derogatory jibe about it, it just works, and every time in my experience.

As usual Ink, thanks for your interest and let me know if you work out the error message source. I'm intrigued.

Cheers.

(P.S. FYI, I can confirm the Brave version info panel example you provided is identical to mine, including release number, thanks).

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
So, after 2 days of not using it, I go back into Brave, no problems. When I try to load my wallet my old friend is back, after it rejects my, correct, password input.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 9.06.03 pm.jpg

I close Brave and, low and behold, the message stays on my home screen. So I follow the prompt and open it in Finder.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 9.07.17 pm.jpg

Firstly, the file was downloaded a 4:35am and i can assure you it wasn't me, so i'm assuming it was one those automatic updates @Ink mentioned.

Secondly, what is a manifest.fingerprint. Zero bytes or not, that term worries me.

And finally, can someone explain to me why Brave has 8 levels of sub-directories? This thing has got more tentacles than the Office 365 Suite(if that's possible).

How fragmented does a file system need to be FFS.

That's it! I'm done with non Apple supplied software. This is ridiculous.

I'm restoring my system back with Time Machine to the day before even started with Brave. I don't trust it or Google to have anything on my machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.