Help removing XP Security Cleaner Pro- no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
I located the "Operating System- Reinstallation CD. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 2" from Dell
Still can't get CD to read disk tho. Working on bootable USB.

Reactions: Nevi and struppigel

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Step 1: Create a bootable USB flash drive
  • Download and run Rufus portable on a clean system
  • Insert your USB flash drive. Note: Data on that USB flash drive will be lost! So backup files that you want to keep.
  • Under Device make sure your USB flash drive is selected
  • At Boot selection choose Disk or ISO image. Click on the Select button and navigate to your Win XP iso, which is probably named en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso
  • Click Start and click Ok. Wait for the program to finish
After that insert the USB flash drive into your currently damaged Windows XP system.

Step 2: Repair installation

Note: Keep your Windows XP license key at hand, you will need it.

Boot the system and during bootup keep pressing the keys DEL, F2, F8, F12, ESC continuously until it opens the BIOS settings (one of those keys is correct, it depends on the system, you can also try one after the other).

You will need to change the boot order, so it starts from USB flash drive first. I cannot give you an exact description at this point because I am not sure how your system looks like. For HP systems it could be in Storage --> Boot Options or System Configuration --> Boot Options
Follow the on-screen instructions to change the boot order. Then reboot your Windows XP system while the USB flash drive is still attached.

Now the system should boot from the flash drive and the Windows XP Professional Setup screen should appear.
  • Press Enter to setup Windows XP
  • Press F8 to confirm the Windows XP Licensing Agreement
  • Select your Windows XP installation (usually there is only one) and press R for repairing it
  • Follow the prompts until installation is done
Please tell me how it went.

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
Karsten, I'm using my laptop to download Rufus-3.17p.exe from rufus.ie/downloads/. I believe the OS on my laptop is Windows 10. Am I reading your instructions to copy from my laptop?

Reactions: upnorth

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
Hey Karsten, after downloading and running Rufus 3.17.1846 (Portable), Drive Properties screen; Select only shows, Select and Download in drop down list? It does not show an OS? When I select, Select or Download nothing happens. And status shows ready but Start grayed out?

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Reactions: Brahman

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
Hi Karsten, I apologize I'm having issues getting this. I completed Step 1 and did get the USB bootable and "Select" worked locating the windows professional xp I previously downloaded as instructed. After clicking "Start" and waited for it to complete. I verified the USB and inserted it into the system and started it clicking F2 to get to the Dell Dimension 3000 series BIOS screen. Hit enter on BIOS Sequence: 1. Diskette Drive 2. Hard-Disk Drive C: 3. IDE CD-ROM Device as only selections. No USB option. So I unselected 2 ( Hard drive C) option hoping system would pickup USB but when I pressed ESC to exit and saved changes and reboot I get "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility ". It appears system not recognizing USB as option?
Man it seems like I'm so close but...

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
Hi Karsten, sorry went to wrong screen. At Boot Device Menu now. Will let you know what happens.

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
Karsten, I got to boot from the USB (F12 Boot Menu on my Dell) and windows started loading files, when it was preparing to start I got the following message. I restarted system as instructed but got same screen. I'm preparing to run chkdsk/f. Probably need to get a program on this system I can check for viruses per message? Will let you know what is results from chkddk scan. Thanks for your patience 🙏🏼

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the 1st time you have seen this stop error screen
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps these steps. Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer. technical Information. Stop: 0X000000007B (0XF78D2524, 0Xe0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000"

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Karsten, I got to boot from the USB (F12 Boot Menu on my Dell) and windows started loading files, when it was preparing to start I got the following message. I restarted system as instructed but got same screen. I'm preparing to run chkdsk/f. Probably need to get a program on this system I can check for viruses per message? Will let you know what is results from chkddk scan. Thanks for your patience 🙏🏼

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the 1st time you have seen this stop error screen
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps these steps. Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer. technical Information. Stop: 0X000000007B (0XF78D2524, 0Xe0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000"
Thanks for including the whole error message.
It did not boot from USB flash drive when this error happened.
If you revert changes to the BIOS settings, it should be the way it was before.
I am not sure why USB is not showing as an option. It should.
I need to do some more research, so I can maybe give you more detailed instructions.

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: oldschool

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
Hey thanks. I verified it booted from the USB several times (when I got the error message) and ran CHKDSK /f (same outcome) I'm running CHKDSK /r now (very slow). Looking to follow error message suggestions and uninstall the Laci Rugged Mini mobile hard drive firmware (Toolkit) I previously tried to use to backup my entire system (couldn't download setup.exe from site, no internet). Not sure how to check for viruses (Malwarebytes anti virus software want load (maybe 64 bit?), not sure how to verify hard drive configuration per error message. Will try to be as much help I can, researching issues and report back if okay

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
This error happens when your system cannot access a device to boot from.
So it failed to boot into anything at all.
The most likely explanation is the changes you made in the BIOS. You said you removed Hard drive C from the list of devices to boot. This error should not occur anymore if you change things back. There should be no need to follow all of these error instructions.

If changing it back fails or you are unsure what you changed there, we can apply the last known good configuration (I will post instructions if changing back does not work).

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
Karsten, I only unselected the options, one at a time (as requires at least one selected to Boot) in the (F2) Boot Sequence to see if it would choose to Boot from the USB before I realized I should click F12 at startup giving me access to the USB Flash drive as option for primary Boot location. Changed all settings back at F2 before I attempted to Boot (F12) USB getting error message. Verified again to confirm and still got message. Not sure why still getting message but removed the Toolkit firmware I previously installed for the Lacie Rugged Mini portable drive and Malwarebytes previously installed. Noticed F2 "Drive Configuration" options in setup but didn't change anything (just looked). System running same think it is the way it was (seems to run better after things you had me do so far and the CHKDSK commands) why I think we are close 😉

Doc007

Thread author
Jan 4, 2022
Hello, in checking the USB Bootable drive I ran CHKDSK from laptop and discovered some errors. I allowed the system to fix them (appeared to be index, security files?) Was wondering is the copy of the Windows XP iso downloaded corrupt? Will check and let you know results. Thanks

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Ah, that makes sense yes. Corrupt Windows XP on the USB flash drive might be correct. Maybe it was not downloaded fully or Rufus did not properly add it to the USB flash drive. Your suggestion of re-trying with a fresh ISO download and newly created bootable USB flash drive will probably be the best course of action.

Reactions: oldschool
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.