Advice Request Help: Upgrading RAM from 8 GB to 24 GB

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
I have an assembled desktop which is 6 years old but is still good enough for my work. I have recently upgraded to SSD and bought another 2 Tb HDD for additional storage. Now I also want to upgrade the RAM from 8 Gb to 24 Gb.

Intel i7-4770 (CPU) + Intel DB85FL (Motherboard) support upto 32 Gb of RAM.

Pardon my lack of knowledge on hardware. My motherboard has 4 RAM slots (two blue & two black).

81Sc7XnkRqL._SX679_.jpg

I have two 4 Gb Corsair RAMs installed at the two blue slots (SKU CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9). Now can I install two 8 Gb Corsair RAMs at the two black slots (SKU CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10).

Please understand that I have very basic understanding of the hardware and afraid of compatibility issues. This is why I am mentioning the model numbers and SKU. I prefer to keep the old RAMs as those are working fine.

I'd highly appreciate any suggestion or help in this regard.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The timings are different. If you search the specifications using the SKUs you provided, the 4GB modules are 9-9-9-24 and the 8GB are 10-10-10-27. The voltages are the same, however, (1.5 v) as is the speed of 1600mHz and the form factor of DDR3 but that doesn't guarantee the RAMs will all run together in perfect harmony.

To be conservative and safe, try running just the two matched 8 GB modules in slots A1 and B1--(black slots) and then check Task Manager/Performance/Memory to make certain Windows is seeing both. . If you want to add the 2X4GB and you then have a POST problem you can be pretty sure it's the RAM. If the machine does boot properly, you again can use Task Manager/Performance/Memory to check which slots are recognized by Windows. You can also check the BIOS settings.

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Thanks a lot for your reply and suggestion.

The timings are different. If you search the specifications using the SKUs you provided, the 4GB modules are 9-9-9-24 and the 8GB are 10-10-10-27. The voltages are the same, however, (1.5 v) as is the speed of 1600mHz and the form factor of DDR3 but that doesn't guarantee the RAMs will all run together in perfect harmony.
I noted that difference, but was thinking that since the SPD Latencies are the same at 9-9-9-24 (tested latency was different), there may not be much issues?

A naive question. Memory configuration of the 8Gb RAM is showing as Quad Channel and the 4Gb RAM is showing as Single Module. Is this any significant difference?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, very. Machines tend to run at the lowest configuration. As a learning experience, you can try to load all four modules and see how it runs. If machine doesn't POST, I would simply remove both 4GB modules and leave it be.

I would consult the Task Manager after every change. Windows needs to see all the RAM for best outcome. Based on what you described: at "worst", you would have 16 GB of RAM, which is very respectable.

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
@plat1098 and others,

Now thinking only about upgrading to 16Gb RAM. Earlier, I was thinking about 24 Gb as I didn't want to dispose of the older two 4 Gb RAMs. However, found that those two RAMs are compatible with my wife's PC, which has lower configuration (4Gb of a slower RAM) and is also due for some upgradation. So, will move these two 4 Gb RAMs there and also get a SSD.

One last question.

Which one should I choose for better performance?

In my local store, the G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB is available at a premium (17%). Is it worth?

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You have an older board with the DDR3 form factor. As long as the DDR3 RAM is compatible w/your board, any of these brands should be alright.

Both are decent and popular brands (Corsair and GSkill). Ripjaws is GSkill's budget line and is very popular. I've also run Crucial Ballistix RAM for several years successfully. and still have the modules set aside for a possible second build.

If you want, you can run the Crucial scanner to determine the range of specifications of suitable RAM for your board. You can then apply the results to other brand/s of your preference.

sg09

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
As long as the DDR3 RAM is compatible w/your board, any of these brands should be alright... Both are decent and popular brands (Corsair and GSkill). Ripjaws is GSkill's budget line and is very popular.
Many thanks. It was helpful.

If you want, you can run the Crucial scanner to determine the range of specifications of suitable RAM for your board. You can then apply the results to other brand/s of your preference.
Interesting tool. Had to open the scan htm file in Internet Explorer, else was getting 500 error. It showed some RAM upgrades. Surprisingly it didn't detect my OS disk which is a Samsung 860 EVO 500 Gb SSD. It detected my HDDs and offered to upgrade to SSD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.