Not open for further replies.

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
When Apple announced its newest iPhone 6 models, the 1GB RAM became a laughing stock, given that many rival Android smartphones pack in around 2GB to 3GB RAM. Ever wondered why Apple hasn’t gone beyond 1GB RAM, while OEMs keep increasing the RAM packed into Android device to increase efficiency?

With Android, the logic is that the higher the RAM, the better the device’s capability at handling apps and services. However, we don’t see a laggy performance with the new iPhones even with 1GB of RAM. On the contrary, it has even proven superior performance to some other Android devices with 2GB RAM or more. For the curious ones, the mystery is solved.

Now, Glyn Williams has explained on Quora that iOS devices beat Android devices with even double the RAM, simply because Android uses Java and needs all the additional RAM for something known as ‘garbage collection’.

eDXoCQ0.jpg

The above diagram by Williams shows garbage collectors can be ridiculously fast with four to eight times the free space, but memory constraint can restrict the performance.

Garbage collection is basically a process that starts recycling memory once an Android app is closed. However, it requires almost four to eight times the memory you are actually using to get this job done quickly. If there is enough memory, the device will come across super-fast, but if multiple apps are running at the same time, the process slows down and eventually your device performs slower.

In other words, you need four to eight times more memory than you are actually using to be super efficient, and that’s why Android devices perform better with more RAM. On the other hand, Apple’s iOS doesn’t require these garbage collectors and so the devices manage to perform as well as or even better than Android devices running 2GB or more RAM.

Source: Here's why iPhone with 1GB RAM performs better than Android with more than 2GB RAM – Tech2

Last edited by a moderator:

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I always thought the garbage collection were the preinstalled (cr)apps, that were so kindly forced upon us for our benefit. Now I have to use a new term. Well, I could just called it malware.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Apple's OS are more optimised than other OSes. And, I think although Android is very widely used, its one of the worst OSes.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It depends on the processor architecture + with the help of how OS maintain to be stable. Cause majority of manufacturers fail to improve stability for Android due to its heavy customization unlike IOS its simplicity is already shown through the years.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Actually Apple does employ GC(Garbage Collection) in XCode which goes by the name ARC or something. By default, ARC is enabled when you're Pro at developing apps since Apple's LLVM compiler automatically does allocation & de-allocation of memory space provided to apps. I think ARC is far more aggressive since closed apps instantly deallocates memory thereby providing more efficient use of RAM. Luckily, I was able to know how iOS works considering I had to drop out of Apple's Developer Program at college in favour of final year project.

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
1) Apple phones are not that snappy & fast. I owned an iPhone 5s and it was indeed slower in most apps than other flagship devices I owned: LG Nexus 5, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S5. All of them were faster in heavy apps like Facebook, Internet Browser, cloud storage apps.
2) The fact that garbage collector is the cause for Android phones being laggy and slow is just an opinion, I have read other tech articles too that claim other things to be the cause. Custom UI's and apps from some manufacturers can be a problem for example.
3) Android has improved a lot lately keeping and increasing OS capapilities while ios is very restrictive (that's something that keeps the os fast and debloated)

Reactions: jamescv7

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Maybe the reason why Android is slow could be because of TRIM to increase lifespan of Flash storage. I think TRIM is triggered ASAP after deleting some apps or files.

L

LabZero

Yes I also think IOS work better than Android smartphone with double the RAM because Android used Java apps so they need all this RAM to manage Garbage Collection.
Better remove garbage...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Maybe the reason why Android is slow could be because of TRIM to increase lifespan of Flash storage. I think TRIM is triggered ASAP after deleting some apps or files.
Trim was less aggressive in previous versions of Android, and is more comprehensive in latest version while system resources is actually better managed than some years ago.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Bla Bla Bla.

If iPhone manages it so well with less hardware why it costs so high? :eek::eek: I own an Android :cool: which has Octa Core Snapdragon Processor with 2 GB RAM and costs only 150$. It's super fast ;) and I love it :):):):).

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
If iPhone manages it so well with less hardware why it costs so high? :eek::eek: I own an Android :cool: which has Octa Core Snapdragon Processor with 2 GB RAM and costs only Rs.9k. It's super fast ;) and I love it :):):):).
Is it Xiaomi/YU Yureka/Huawei or others? One thing to keep in mind is, Apple don't charge for OS instead they make money just from H/W.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Is it Xiaomi/YU Yureka/Huawei or others? One thing to keep in mind is, Apple don't charge for OS instead they make money just from H/W.
Yes. One is Yureka another is lenovo A7000 .My old phone (Still working) is Moto g .

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
I thing Android phones are more suitable than Apple phones. No doubt Apple phones are little bit faster than Android but if you go for customization, Android is your only option.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Take an iPhone 5s or 6 with iOS 9 fully updated, do some multitasking using heavy apps like Facebook, Viber, messenger and Web browser, switch between them, and you 'll see iOS lags as hell and freezes are there too. Only iPhone 6s is acceptable at the time and iPhone 6 is just one year older, so guess how things will be in a year or so.
On the other hand take a Samsung Galaxy S5 in good condition, and do the same things. You 'll be surprised to fins out that it actually performs better.
I have done many tests with such devices, and the reality right now, is different than that of some years before, so if you 're gonna buy a flagship smartphone think twice ;)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Take an iPhone 5s or 6 with iOS 9 fully updated, do some multitasking using heavy apps like Facebook, Viber, messenger and Web browser, switch between them, and you 'll see iOS lags as hell and freezes are there too. Only iPhone 6s is acceptable at the time and iPhone 6 is just one year older, so guess how things will be in a year or so.
On the other hand take a Samsung Galaxy S5 in good condition, and do the same things. You 'll be surprised to fins out that it actually performs better.
I have done many tests with such devices, and the reality right now, is different than that of some years before, so if you 're gonna buy a flagship smartphone think twice ;)
So they released 6s as upgrade just to solve those lags while multi-tasking?

This article is irrelevant due Android Lollipop's default runtime now being ART.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
So they released 6s as upgrade just to solve those lags while multi-tasking?
I would not say it in that way, I would say that iOS today, needs that 2gb of ram that 6s has, while anything less is insufficient for a fluid experience. In other words, for me, 6S runs almost perfectly at the time but any other older Apple Phone does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.