Advice Request Here is the first mockup screenshot of Firefox 57’s new design

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttto

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Mozilla plans to make Firefox 57 a milestone release by introducing major changes to the web browser when the version is released.

We talked about those in the past already; most notable probably is the focus on WebExtensions in Firefox 57. Classic add-ons will stop working at that time, as they are no longer supported in the stable version of the web browser.

If things turn out well, Firefox 57 will also be the version of Firefox that ships with a first version of Quantum. Quantum bits will replace their equivalent in the Gecko engine. It is all about parallelism and modern hardware, and it includes components adopted from the Servo project.

What it means for users is that Firefox will get a speed boost when compared to the browser's current engine Gecko.

Note: Firefox 57 is the release target for these changes. There is still a chance that things may be delayed along the way, so that they land in a later stable version of Firefox.

firefox-photon-design.png

Along with those major changes comes a design refresh that runs under the codename Photon currently.

Veteran Firefox users may remember the last time Mozilla changed the theme for Firefox. The Australis theme for Firefox 29 was controversial for a number of reasons. Some users thought that it looked too much like Google Chrome, others disliked that customization features were removed when the theme launched that were part of Firefox for years.

Users who did not like the design installed extensions like Classic Theme Restorer to restore most of the classic Firefox after the Australis launch.

The new Firefox design that Mozilla plans to make the default in Firefox 57 has not been revealed officially yet. But, it was revealed unofficially in a a Firefox Screenshot mockup that revealed the functionality.

Note: Mockup means that things may, and probably will, change before release. What you see is not the final product.

Probably the biggest change in the new theme is related to tabs in the browser. Mozilla launched curved tabs in Australis, and plans to make tabs squared in Firefox 57. These tabs are full squares, whereas pre-Australis tabs used had rounded edges.

The mockup shows no search bar, and the address bar is centered on the main toolbar. While this could mean that Mozilla will hide the search bar by default, it is too early to conclude that or anything else related to the design.

Another change that is visible on the mockup is that back, forward and reload buttons are visible on the left side of the main toolbar.

source: Here is the first mockup screenshot of Firefox 57's new design - gHacks Tech News

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
It looks like a mix between the rectangular tabs of Opera, the icons of Chrome and the adress bar of Safari. Doesn't look that bad to me but imo there is too much empty space between the icons and the adress bar. Looks like the search bar is gone too, which would mean again a feature is lost (but maybe you can enable in the settings idk). It just doesn't look brand new and innovating but more a mixture of the competition. Things may change drastically when they will officially release it, but currently I personally still need to search the wow factor in this image. Nor australis nor this new one can beat their classic theme imo.

name12345

Aug 28, 2017
I won't be using 57, I just check to make sure it won't install. It'll completely and utterly f*** my browser, I'll be looking for a fork that supports Classic Theme Restorer, if I can't find one then I might use slimjet or palemoon.

I have 18 extensions, 17 I use and are enabled, 13 of those are 'Legacy' / XUL, it'd be a complete pain if any of those stopped working.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I won't be using 57, I just check to make sure it won't install. It'll completely and utterly f*** my browser, I'll be looking for a fork that supports Classic Theme Restorer, if I can't find one then I might use slimjet or palemoon.

I have 18 extensions, 17 I use and are enabled, 13 of those are 'Legacy' / XUL, it'd be a complete pain if any of those stopped working.
Have a look at this browser then. Waterfox - The free, open and private browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.