Software Review Here's Why DNS Matters w/ John Todd from Quad9 | Techlore

Reviews reflect the reviewer's setup and methods. Check the evidence and limitations.
Content created by
Techlore
Watch at minute 5 of the video posted above. There he explains what their intentions were. (y)
I did. In fact, I watched the whole thing. The problem is, he doesn't say they don't log. He says moving to Switzerland prevents them from selling the data they do have. My point is, why collect any information in the first place? Then there's no issue, as there's nothing to sell or use.
 
I did. In fact, I watched the whole thing. The problem is, he doesn't say they don't log. He says moving to Switzerland prevents them from selling the data they do have. My point is, why collect any information in the first place? Then there's no issue, as there's nothing to sell or use.
I actually think that hes trying to say that they can say whatever they want but people still would doubt that they don't store any data as long as they are located in a country that doesn't have strict privacy regulations. So they decided to move to switzerland so that people have a reason to believe what Quad9 says. So basically a move to convince people that they actually don't keep any logs. And he actually mentioned multiple times that they don't store any data from their customers. There is also a comment of their Youtube channel below the video.

Screenshot 2022-02-16 231052.png

In the end it's up to you if you believe what they are stating in their privacy policy, but to me it seems that the company is trying to be as transparent as possible which can't be said about quite a few other DNS providers.
 
I actually think that hes trying to say that they can say whatever they want but people still would doubt that they don't store any data as long as they are located in a country that doesn't have strict privacy regulations. So they decided to move to switzerland so that people have a reason to believe what Quad9 says. So basically a move to convince people that they actually don't keep any logs. And he actually mentioned multiple times that they don't store any data from their customers. There is also a comment of their Youtube channel below the video.

View attachment 264418

In the end it's up to you if you believe what they are stating in their privacy policy, but to me it seems that the company is trying to be as transparent as possible which can't be said about quite a few other DNS providers.

Yeah. I could see that. Still, the fact that they log anything at all, even though it's not IP related, is a bit concerning. But I get it. I don't agree with it, but I get it.
 
I actually think that hes trying to say that they can say whatever they want but people still would doubt that they don't store any data as long as they are located in a country that doesn't have strict privacy regulations. So they decided to move to switzerland so that people have a reason to believe what Quad9 says. So basically a move to convince people that they actually don't keep any logs. And he actually mentioned multiple times that they don't store any data from their customers. There is also a comment of their Youtube channel below the video.

In the end it's up to you if you believe what they are stating in their privacy policy, but to me it seems that the company is trying to be as transparent as possible which can't be said about quite a few other DNS providers.
Indeed, this is what I got.
I don't agree with it, but I get it
They need the geolocation info for threat intelligence. Nothing more is collected.
 
Yeah. I could see that. Still, the fact that they log anything at all, even though it's not IP related, is a bit concerning. But I get it. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

Quad9 needs some sort of sponsorship $$ to survive at all to provide their excellent and free service. Clearly, they are not selling off our private data, as @oldschool explained it above.
 
Quad9 needs some sort of sponsorship $$ to survive at all to provide their excellent and free service. Clearly, they are not selling off our private data, as @oldschool explained it above.

I understand that. I problem is, nothing is free. If you are not paying for something you are the something being sold. Many people are okay with that, some are not.
 
Are we defining slow by some measurable metric? I have never had any one DNS resolve differently than another speed wise if it was under 70ms. It takes longer for pages to load their CDN content than the DNS resolution . Maybe the bigger issue is using DNS without EDNS. Or getting different servers for CDN content than from other DNS providers.
 
I understand that. I problem is, nothing is free. If you are not paying for something you are the something being sold. Many people are okay with that, some are not.
Even if you paid for a service doesn't guarantee your data is still not being sold. Data is big business. I'd take a company who is transparent in what they are doing, paid or not.
 
Even if you paid for a service doesn't guarantee your data is still not being sold. Data is big business. I'd take a company who is transparent in what they are doing, paid or not.
Of course not. There are no guarantees. However, if privacy were your business, wouldn't you be less likely to sell what you need to generate money? Trust has to matter. I trust the companies to whom I am the client more than I do those to whom I am the product.
 
A very good and well explained video but honestly at the moment I use NextDNS (paid) on all my devices and I don't see why I would switch to Quad9 just because they moved to Switzerland and say they won't divulge sensitive user data..... The same can be said about NextDNS who let you save logs on servers in Switzerland and they too at one point said the same thing that they won't disclose user data, if I remember correctly.
And they're not the only DNS or VPN providers that say the same thing...and yet they did.
In the end everyone has to choose based on security, speed, privacy matter and what makes them feel comfortable.
This is my opinion and maybe I'm wrong about that, so don't shoot..
 
Last edited:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top