App Review Here's Why DNS Matters w/ John Todd from Quad9 | Techlore

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Techlore

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
As everyone is changing to Quad9 now I want to give it a try too. Problem is that on Windows 11 native settings I can't choose DoH in the IPv6 DNS Server tab. Are you experiencing the same?
Yes, for IPv6 Preferred DNS only I got into a feedback loop. I set IPv4 and IPv6 Alternate DNS, then restarted machine and reset IPv6 Preferred DNS again and it worked. I suspect it's a weird bug in W11.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Yes, for IPv6 Preferred DNS only I got into a feedback loop. I set IPv4 and IPv6 Alternate DNS, then restarted machine and reset IPv6 Preferred DNS again and it worked. I suspect it's a weird bug in W11.
Tried but didn't work... I am using the correct adress, right? :unsure:

Screenshot 2022-02-16 203541.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Why would anyone u se quad9 over, say, something like NextDNS or ControlD where you have control over what blocklists are used and have the ability to whitelist? I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that I'm not seeing what makes quad9 so special.
The main argument would probably be their privacy policy and that they now moved to switzerland - a country with strict privacy laws. Their DNS is also very stable with a 99% uptime as can be seen in the source of @Gandalf_The_Grey post:

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
The main argument would probably be their privacy policy and that they now moved to switzerland - a country with strict privacy laws. Their DNS is also very stable with a 99% uptime as can be seen in the source of @Gandalf_The_Grey post:

Interesting. So if quad9 kept no logs why would it matter where they were location? It wouldn't, unless they're being tapped. So that means they do keep logs, by logical inference.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.