Advice Request High consumption of RAM

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kiss

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Anyone here on the forum using GDATA? I would like to know if you guys face the same problem with high RAM consumption as I do gdata.png

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I do not currently use G Data.
When I had G Data installed I did not have such a high RAM consumption.
I don't know what is causing this in your case

Reactions: Kiss

Kiss

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
@struppigel Do you still work on GDATA? would you help me? my computer is not running any program or game, just in idle mode and GDATA is consuming it all, in this new print the consumption went up more
gdata2.png

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Maybe it is monitoring some kind of behaviour or scanning big files? How much time has it been on your system? And have you run a full system scan followed by a system restart?

Reactions: brambedkar59

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
@struppigel Do you still work on GDATA? would you help me? my computer is not running any program or game, just in idle mode and GDATA is consuming it all, in this new print the consumption went up more
View attachment 266555

This does not seem like an issue to me. System checks which can wait are done in Idle mode and not while you are using the system for other stuff. The other way around would be more worrysome. It would be a wasted opportunity to not use RAM, while no other process needs it.

With that said, I am not working in support and not trained to help with product specific issues unless they pertain false negative or false positive detections. That's why I usually keep my mouth shut on such topics.

Last edited:

Kiss

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Here's the answer from G Data support; Dear G DATA customer

This is absolutely normal on systems with lots of RAM installed.

I have 16GB of RAM, so apparently this is normal, @Faybert who was years ago an expert in testing with GDATA always said that RAM memory is to be used, all right then... Thank you for everyone's attention and to you @Faybert and @struppigel :coffee::coffee:

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Here's the answer from G Data support; Dear G DATA customer

This is absolutely normal on systems with lots of RAM installed.

I have 16GB of RAM, so apparently this is normal, @Faybert who was years ago an expert in testing with GDATA always said that RAM memory is to be used, all right then... Thank you for everyone's attention and to you @Faybert and @struppigel :coffee::coffee:
You can also try these settings Q&A - G-Data is using a load of RAM.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

Quickly:

I have been using GData for 1 month now. I have a good PC with 32GB of DDR4 3000MHz RAM.
Gdata consumes between 300 and 400MB of RAM at home. However, when rendering video or other, it can go up to 600MB.

However, I must remind you one thing: GData contains 2 engines!
Emsisoft that many people also use, has the same behavior in RAM consumption (I had seen peaks at 700Mb on VM)
For me, the consumption is normal
( I remember Coranti 2012 when it existed, it exceeded 1GB of RAM since it had 5 engines...)

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Anyone here on the forum using GDATA? I would like to know if you guys face the same problem with high RAM consumption as I do View attachment 266554
With 16 GB of RAM you have nothing to fret about. Those that have more RAM, like 32 GB, getting rid of any program because it uses 1 GB of RAM is utter nonsense. Might was well get rid of your browser because it routinely "consumes" more than 1 GB RAM all the time. Unless there is a problem, such as a memory leak, then "consuming" RAM is not a problem because that is the whole purpose of RAM - to be used.

It is perplexing. People spend the money on 32 GB of RAM and then try to keep RAM usage to a minimum. There is a false belief that minimizing RAM usage makes a system faster. When you buy 32 GB of RAM, that entire amount is meant to be used; notions such as 75% reserve RAM is userland nonsense.

All antivirus uses lots of RAM occasionally. It is just that some use the different methods to hide their RAM usage.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Personally I would run a full system scan, and then restart the computer. I believe after some time it will settle down.

Reactions: mlnevese

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.