App Review Hitman Pro Alert Test

• Thread starter Malware Blocker Youtube
  • Start date
It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks for the review! HMPA is quite good, not perfect though, you can install it only as one of the multi-layer protection config. BTW I wonder why they don't make HitmanPro with real-time protection, combined with HitmanPro.Alert, it could be a killer. BTW may I post here a video request, or maybe via PM?

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks for the test @Malware Blocker Youtube. It's a welcome change (for me anyway) to have tests with a commentary rather than just overbearing music. Any chance of testing the (fairly) new all-in-one Zemana Antilogger2.xx? I see you're planning to add it to your config soon. Earlier in the year ZAM did very well in a ransomware test but the test was paid for by Zemana so I'm not sure just how independent it was

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm an antifan of HMP.A and now you helped me to answer the question: HMP.A isn't worth the money. There are much better paid alternatives (zemana) and also free alternatives (kaspersky ARW)
HPM.A is not a great antiransomware while it should be. Ransomwares are one of the worst nightmares and this should be the priority
I tried HMP.A a few times but it always failed me because of its CPU comsumption or it blocked some of my legit programs without any notification. After uninstalling HMP, I realized it caused more problems

I just think it isn't worth the money
edit: with this amount of money, it should increase your PC security to a higher level not just a "slight" increase

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I'm an antifan of HMP.A and now you helped me to answer the question: HMP.A isn't worth the money. There are much better paid alternatives (zemana) and also free alternatives (kaspersky ARW)
HPM.A is not a great antiransomware while it should be. Ransomwares are one of the worst nightmares and this should be the priority
I tried HMP.A a few times but it always failed me because of its CPU comsumption or it blocked some of my legit programs without any notification. After uninstalling HMP, I realized it caused more problems

I agree with the last words. Right now, I'm using a trial version but I'm not sure if it is worth to spend quite a lot of money for this program.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I agree with the last words. Right now, I'm using a trial version but I'm not sure if it is worth to spend quite a lot of money for this program.
exactly. If HMPA has realtime AV protection using HMP engine, similar to zemama, I would consider using it but unfortunately it doesn't have and probably not in the near future

L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
This folks, is why i have commented a couple times on the way test are performed by most on youtube. Using older samples, proves nothing in detection. Not learning the product before testing it is quite evident in many testers videos.

Last but not least, this does discredit to the vendors and this security advising site. If your going to test a product, learn it, form the test around the product, not the other way around, make sure you have fresher "verified they work" samples.

These statements are directed at a couple of youtube testers now here doing the very same thing. Encouraging them to continue to test this way by liking and praising will change nothing, one needs to point this out so they can correct them.

M

Malware Blocker Youtube

Thread author
Thanks for the review! HMPA is quite good, not perfect though, you can install it only as one of the multi-layer protection config. BTW I wonder why they don't make HitmanPro with real-time protection, combined with HitmanPro.Alert, it could be a killer. BTW may I post here a video request, or maybe via PM?
You can post here :)

Thanks for your video.
Very interesting review :)
Thanks

Thanks for the test @Malware Blocker Youtube. It's a welcome change (for me anyway) to have tests with a commentary rather than just overbearing music. Any chance of testing the (fairly) new all-in-one Zemana Antilogger2.xx? I see you're planning to add it to your config soon. Earlier in the year ZAM did very well in a ransomware test but the test was paid for by Zemana so I'm not sure just how independent it was
Thanks for the comment & I have had a look at Zemana Anti-logger here:

But I don't think this is the new Zemana software you're talking about.

Thank you for the review!
I will get this on black friday :)
No problem :)

edit: with this amount of money, it should increase your PC security to a higher level not just a "slight" increase
I agree that unless you get it for free it isn't necessarily the best option since like you've said Zemana & other companies do much much better alternatives.

This folks, is why i have commented a couple times on the way test are performed by most on youtube. Using older samples, proves nothing in detection. Not learning the product before testing it is quite evident in many testers videos.

Last but not least, this does discredit to the vendors and this security advising site. If your going to test a product, learn it, form the test around the product, not the other way around, make sure you have fresher "verified they work" samples.

These statements are directed at a couple of youtube testers now here doing the very same thing. Encouraging them to continue to test this way by liking and praising will change nothing, one needs to point this out so they can correct them.
I understand your concern but one cannot simply test every malware sample that they download & use in tests. It's not possible... I test all my ransomware, malicious & phishing URLs but expect the malicious samples to work since they are packaged & downloaded from VirusSign. I'm not sure if you know but one key reason why many malware samples don't execute or close themselves is because they detect that the testing machine is a VM - Word Documents have not been opened, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
You can post here :)
Avast test with enabled Hardened Mode Agressive, HIPS set to max, heuristic set to max too would be great! I know that you recently did a test of Avast with default settings, so you probably have more interesting stuff to test, but maybe you will find a free time :D TIA

I understand your concern but one cannot simply test every malware sample that they download & use in tests. It's not possible... I test all my ransomware, malicious & phishing URLs but expect the malicious samples to work since they are packaged & downloaded from VirusSign. I'm not sure if you know but one key reason why many malware samples don't execute or close themselves is because they detect that the testing machine is a VM - Word Documents have not been opened, etc.
You could install basic stuff on the VN, like Java, Flash, Adobe Reader, Office Viewer (or LibreOffice?) to make VM more a real PC-like.

M

Malware Blocker Youtube

Thread author
Avast test with enabled Hardened Mode Agressive, HIPS set to max, heuristic set to max too would be great! I know that you recently did a test of Avast with default settings, so you probably have more interesting stuff to test, but maybe you will find a free time :D TIA
I will try to test this within the coming weeks but at the moment I'm extremely busy with coursework & revision. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

M

Malware Blocker Youtube

Thread author

You could install basic stuff on the VN, like Java, Flash, Adobe Reader, Office Viewer (or LibreOffice?) to make VM more a real PC-like.
I plan to do this very soon... I need to also open some Word Documents because new malware uses Word to check if the PC is a VM or a standard user's PC:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/09/malware_tries_t.html
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/malware-vm-detection/

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks for the comment & I have had a look at Zemana Anti-logger.....But I don't think this is the new Zemana software you're talking about.
Yes, that's the Zemana product I'm talking about, combining ZAM and the old ZAL, but although you have real time protection enabled it's not being tested in isolation and is being used mainly as an on demand scanner. It would be excellent if you could test ZAL's real time performance in isolation.

L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
I understand your concern but one cannot simply test every malware sample that they download & use in tests. It's not possible...
It is very much possible if your not trying to crank a video out every 3 hours just for likes or pushing a Donation button for tests done incorrectly and grossly misinforming users. Take a look in MalwareTips Vault, where seasoned testers not only test every sample they post, but run it through VT and a Online Malware Analysis Automated sandbox, before posting it for testing solutions, it appears they have found the possible ;)

I'm not sure if you know but one key reason why many malware samples don't execute or close themselves is because they detect that the testing machine is a VM - Word Documents have not been opened, etc.
Im quite aware of how samples react and work in a contained environment. I dabble a little in testing malware ;)
I have sent you a PM with links to places to find and use fresher samples with the last video i commented on, you sent me a PM in return with no option to reply to state your perspective. I will not say anymore on any of this, if those here wish to follow the videos because they are flashy, but not done correctly, then so be it, at least i was forward enough to be straight with you.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I only took a quick glance at the video but did the samples, which supposedly got through, do any actual encryption and display a ransom notice? I didn't notice such a thing.

Keep in mind that Cryptoguard is behavioral based. If the sample is just assumed to be malware by the tester, but not verified, and doesn't do anything, there is nothing for Cryptoguard to alert to. If there hasn't been any real ransomware activity and the tester says the samples got through regardless, the test procedure needs to be optimized and the video should be taken down.

That being said, before anybody suspects that I am biased in favor of Alert, I have to say that I no longer use it nor do I recommend it as a mandatory addition, but I believe the applied technologies to be very sound. Please also keep in mind that with Alert the probability of ransomware even executing in the first place is very low, as the delivery vectors are shut down.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
I have sent you a PM with links to places to find and use fresher samples with the last video i commented on, you sent me a PM in return with no option to reply to state your perspective. I will not say anymore on any of this, if those here wish to follow the videos because they are flashy, but not done correctly, then so be it, at least i was forward enough to be straight with you.

+1. VirusSign is not a good baseline for "working" malware. Those are submitted to all AVs before they're even zipped up for the free users to download.

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
Ok guys, but as far as i know HMPA is not a standalone antimalware or anti-virus product. Let`s be fair and not compare it with Zemana that has realtime antimalware protection. It is like comparing apples with pears. HMPA is effective alongside an AV, as I learned from here that these kind of software do not replace an AV and should not be used as an substitute for an AV.

I`m not a fan of HMPA but I don`t like the half truths. :) It is very good to be well informed and MalwareTips (cheers guys) did a good job for me in this direction.:D

HMPA works good in adding a layer of extra security to an already existant one.

Im quite aware of how samples react and work in a contained environment. I dabble a little in testing malware ;)

I have a great respect for Lucent Warrior although I don`t know him personally nor have any interaction with this user, I respect its experience, correctness and judgement. Hats off! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have a great respect for Lucent Warrior although I don`t know him personally nor have any interaction with this user, I respect its experience, correctness and judgement. Hats off! :)
@Lucent Warrior & @LabZero are arguably two of the most professional and experienced testers on this site.
Those members who participate in the malware hub regularly do so with experience and professionalism.
Not a bad idea to listen to what they have to say as it can only help one become a better tester.
After all Video Reviews and or Written Reviews posted are open to debate and no offense should be taken.
The time and effort to make a review is appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.