App Review Hitman Pro Alert Test

• Thread starter Malware Blocker Youtube
  • Start date
It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LabZero

Thread author
I remember to all the video reviewers, which we have specific rules:

https://malwaretips.com/threads/the-community-video-reviews-forum-moderation.43617/

Observe these simple rules allows you to make more professional your work.

It is sufficient to indicate the required information below the video instead of background music...(in this case).

- AV configuration (default/custom)
- Static/Dinamyc malware test results in text format.
- Impact on system resources and performance (such as resource consumption, efficiency and speed during the scanning and analysis).
- Etc

And about tested samples

- Malwr or HybridAnalysis report.
- VT report (new analysis).

About the tested product, AV, antiransomware, antiexe, etc, these rules must be appropriate to the test.

As @Lucent Warrior mentioned above, it is important to use fresh samples currently present in the real scenario to test the actual detection of a product.
Probably around 5000 new malware variants are produced every day, and many of them are recoded in order not to be detected.
You can manually search for new samples on Malwr (login required), avoiding malware with anti-virtualization routines that make null the test.
Post Malwr report and VT report for the tested samples makes clear, concrete and professional the work.
This is not meant to be a criticism but as an incentive to work according to our standards, improving the quality.

Considering this, I ask @Jack, @Spawn or upper staff if it is possible to add to my thread in the rules above:

- Malwr, HybridAnalysis report.
- VirusTotal new report

Especially for future references, please follow these rules, maybe the test will be long or challenging, but this makes the right value of your work: quality over quantity.

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
It is very much possible if your not trying to crank a video out every 3 hours just for likes or pushing a Donation button for tests done incorrectly and grossly misinforming users.
I think these are excellent points you are making @Lucent Warrior. There are clearly a few serial testers here (I'm sure we all know who they are:)) who are churning out these reviews for the wrong reasons that you mention and in the process, as you say, misleading people.

Please continue to point this out to them (you know far more about this topic than I do) and hopefully we will see less of them.

As it happens I actually think @Malware Blocker Youtube videos are better than a lot. At least he can be bothered to put a commentary to them and clearly spends more time putting them together than a lot of others I could mention, regardless of any deficiencies with the testing process itself (although personally I can do without information about the music - in fact I'd prefer no music whatsoever:)).

Last edited:
M

Malware Blocker Youtube

Thread author
Yes, that's the Zemana product I'm talking about, combining ZAM and the old ZAL, but although you have real time protection enabled it's not being tested in isolation and is being used mainly as an on demand scanner. It would be excellent if you could test ZAL's real time performance in isolation.
I will certainly do this eventually but at the moment I have about 15 videos to record & no spare time so please be patient & remind me and you will see the test eventually :)

It is very much possible if your not trying to crank a video out every 3 hours just for likes or pushing a Donation button for tests done incorrectly and grossly misinforming users. Take a look in MalwareTips Vault, where seasoned testers not only test every sample they post, but run it through VT and a Online Malware Analysis Automated sandbox, before posting it for testing solutions, it appears they have found the possible ;)

Im quite aware of how samples react and work in a contained environment. I dabble a little in testing malware ;)
I have sent you a PM with links to places to find and use fresher samples with the last video i commented on, you sent me a PM in return with no option to reply to state your perspective. I will not say anymore on any of this, if those here wish to follow the videos because they are flashy, but not done correctly, then so be it, at least i was forward enough to be straight with you.

Firstly thank you so much for all the unhelpful hate comments that you are sending out to all malware testing Youtubers, that's really appreciated :) Secondly I don't upload videos every 3 hours & later this year I will hardly be uploading at all because I have barely any free time and lots of exams to revise for. I am not trying to misinform users & get people to donate & this is utter rubbish quite frankly. Yes I do have a donation page on Patreon setup but I don't expect anyone to donate & I probably won't get a donation but that doesn't bother me at all.

Next thing yes ok you can test samples thoroughly if you have enough time (which I don't - this would mean that I could record only a couple of videos a week at best). If I had the time then yes I would be doing that but quite honestly I have much more important things to do currently in my life and cannot do this at this time.

Finally, I am going to be using more samples from a variety of different sites to make the tests more accurate & I am also going to make the VM look like a standard PC in time. Your quote: "if those here wish to follow the videos because they are flashy, but not done correctly, then so be it, at least i was forward enough to be straight with you" is rubbish & I don't know why you bothered to write this. Firstly, my videos are not "flashy" and the editing is actually far less advanced then some other Youtubers. The tests are also "done correctly" but are perhaps using older samples (even if VirusSign says they are new). I understand half of your opinion but you really do like to complain and make a big deal out of something which isn't the end of the world...

I do Youtube because it's fun & I do malware testing as a fun hobby also & because I find it extremely interesting. However, it's comments like this that really bug me because of the pure rubbish they write & the way they phrase the message. I'm going to improve my videos/tests & hopefully then you will be satisfied but until then please stop writing the same comments over & over again on my posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LabZero

Thread author
I do malware testing as a fun hobby also
If I can say my opinion, malware testing is not a hobby.
That's the point, it's a mistake thinking of testing malware just for fun.
If we post a video of a product in testing, those who watch that video expects to have a reasonable certainty about the accuracy and the same in my analysis or in HUB testing.
We have spent hours and days to try to make malware testing more professional, in different approaches.
If someone here tries to give advice, the reason is just to keep in place these guide lines.
Of course all of us can improve ;)

L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
I do Youtube because it's fun & I do malware testing as a fun hobby also & because I find it extremely interesting.

This is the problem to begin with, as it is not a game, and needs to be handled with responsibility.

I tried to help you first, you took offense, and now all i am willing to say on this subject any further is,
I am responsible for what I say, You are responsible for how YOU perceive it.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
First of all we should try and keep these review threads civil and any problems with members replies to a review should be ironed out using the PM system.
Any review posted is open to constructive criticism.That being said you should be willing to take the good with the bad.
@LabZero in his post above made a very accurate and educated response regarding testing of malware.
There are a specific set of guidelines and testing procedures to be followed that make a test as accurate as it can possibly be.
By not following these guidelines and not using the freshest samples available does not help the person watching or reading the review or does it help the vendors.Malware testing is extremely important to the vendor and the tester has a responsibility to both the viewer/reader as well as the vendors.
Malware testing is an ever changing field and always a learning process.
Now @Lucent Warrior & @LabZero are extremely passionate about malware testing and take it very seriously as it should be.
The members that have access to the malware hub are also extremely passionate about malware testing and do so very professionally.
Please take their comments and advice as constructive and if you feel that you do not like something someone said then either report the post or send a PM to that member and iron it out away from the forums.If it cannot be rectified then PM a staff member and we will look into it.
There is a disclaimer when making a review thread which I imagine might take some of the criticism heat off.
Once again your time and effort is appreciated as are your reviews.

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I personally think testing can be a hobby and in the same time be handled with responsibility, it isn't incompatible.
We are here to do our best for each member, and take pleasure in what we do.
Learning from each other to improve what we do here.

Peace & Love

Last edited:
L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
First of all we should try and keep these review threads civil and any problems with members replies to a review should be ironed out using the PM system.
Any review posted is open to constructive criticism.That being said you should be willing to take the good with the bad.
@LabZero in his post above made a very accurate and educated response regarding testing of malware.
There are a specific set of guidelines and testing procedures to be followed that make a test as accurate as it can possibly be.
By not following these guidelines and not using the freshest samples available does not help the person watching or reading the review or does it help the vendors.Malware testing is extremely important to the vendor and the tester has a responsibility to both the viewer/reader as well as the vendors.
Malware testing is an ever changing field and always a learning process.
Now @Lucent Warrior & @LabZero are extremely passionate about malware testing and take it very seriously as it should be.
The members that have access to the malware hub are also extremely passionate about malware testing and do so very professionally.
Please take their comments and advice as constructive and if you feel that you do not like something someone said then either report the post or send a PM to that member and iron it out away from the forums.If it cannot be rectified then PM a staff member and we will look into it.
There is a disclaimer when making a review thread which I imagine might take some of the criticism heat off.
Once again your time and effort is appreciated as are your reviews.
I am passionate and do take testing Malware seriously. It is why it has become very hard to sit back and say nothing when i see average users being misinformed by incorrectly done tests. He states above he has to pump out 15 videos before he can get to a request and in the same breath says he can not find time to do things accurately/correctly? o_O I will not state any more in this thread and or any of this users other threads.

I do want to state clearly though, i did try to move this to a PM where as he responded to me with a PM that i could not respond to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.