Advice Request Hitman Pro detects Avast Online Security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Hitman Pro detects Avast Online Security , 173 "traces".
I don't know if it is a real threat or a false positive ? :unsure:
For VT it is clean: VirusTotal

1.PNG

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Avast / AVG are a company that sell your data, also they spy your HTTP Traffic and monitorize.

That is the price you pay, for using free version of AV for long time, people see Avast like a "god" for years, they are famous because of their free version, if they didn't have any free version, until today they are like other AV Company.

Kaspersky, GData, Emsisoft, BitDefender gives 10/0 to Avast/AVG.

Why not sell your data to Marketing companies? Did someone try to create a new email and create account in Avast and AVG and newsletters with the new email?
You will see "other unknown" emails coming out in less 2 weeks. Data shared or selled!? Cof cof

When the AV is free, the product is you. Just like any other free VPN. Don't expect to be treated with full of privacy. Since they need to pay servers, and since you are the product,

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Is this a very new and updated version? If you rerun a HMP scan, are the items still showing?

This Avast product is probably used by million/s of people, so any development like this would be looked at quickly. If it's not whitelisted in a few hours, you can maybe ask: support@hitmanpro.com

You wonder if this wasn't a correct detection in defiance of VirusTotal. HitmanPro already flag tracker cookies as privacy-related "traces." 😬 Could you give an update of this, please JB007?

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Is this a very new and updated version? If you rerun a HMP scan, are the items still showing?

This Avast product is probably used by million/s of people, so any development like this would be looked at quickly. If it's not whitelisted in a few hours, you can maybe ask: support@hitmanpro.com

You wonder if this wasn't a correct detection in defiance of VirusTotal. HitmanPro already flag tracker cookies as privacy-related "traces." 😬 Could you give an update of this, please JB007?

Why are you defending Avast? If they track you, or sell your data. Is right and good to be detected or flagged by other Security Software. If was Sophos I wouldn't add to whitelist a company that sell your data as you can read here: Antivirus software maker Avast is reportedly selling its users' web data

Make sense to detect it. If is tracker cookies why should whitelist them? Like I said in my previous comment, they monitorize your HTTP Traffic and many other things.
Sending an email asking to whitelist is like "Hey, they are stealing my data, but whitelisted them because I like and use them!" no sense.

Don't use Avast Online Security. There's other better alternatives out there.
^ This, true.

Last edited:

ChristianP

Level 1
May 1, 2020
Hum eScan it's a "signatures clone" of BD, so only 2... but weird that the others BD clones at VT are not detecting it :unsure:
Yes its weird, it may be a false positive, i will try again tonight, this doesnt seem to be good, either some files in avast act like a virus, or a false positive from Bitdefender, which leads me to believe from the first post that HitmanPro also uses BD engine.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

Thanks @plat1098 for your help.
I just checked and HMP is continuing to detect the file.
I will contact the support ASAP.
4.PNG

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Great! Usually, it's relatively easy to spot false positives but it doesn't seem so clear-cut in this case. It'll be interesting. What adds a little flavor is Sophos' sale to Thoma Bravo a while back. So, the outcome is interesting any which way.

Over at Wilders Security, Mark Loman, the original engineer, and RonnyT, QA, are responding fairly often to inquiries. Does anyone remember the other one--Erik Loman? Maybe he's into other things now? I wonder if this is the same guy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.